PDA

View Full Version : Gear Storage

Phestr
08-11-2007, 22:30
What do you guys use to store your gear. I was looking at Pelican, is this the best solution?

Damselfish
08-12-2007, 10:52
some people do. My husband uses a regular hard side rolling carry-on that fits in most overhead bins. There are also some soft bags with all sorts of dividers and stuff made for cameras that some people use, as long as they're always carrying it, like Lowepro.

deepdiver47
08-12-2007, 13:48
I have a simple camera (point and shoot) and just roll it in bubble pack and place it within my clothes in my carry on.
I have had no issues with this when traveling overseas.

Rick155
08-13-2007, 11:32
Since I'm using a simple point-and-shoot with a Fantasea plastic housing, I use a small soft-sided padded camera bag. The camera will go inside the housing to conserve space once I get an external strobe to add to the bag. Decidedly unfancy, but it holds everything I need. When I travel I put this camera bag inside a backpack that I use as a carry-on. Something like a Pelican case would obviously offer more protection, but this is a budget setup and I don't envision myself encountering situations with it where mega-protection is needed, so I've never seen the need. Of course your mileage may vary.

Rick

DevilDiver
09-21-2007, 03:31
I have had 3 cases since I started and what I have ended up with is a backpack/case from the local camera store. I carry it on when I travel. I had a camera stolen flying out of Mexico once.

The backpack has a inner case that is fully padded with dividers for strobes, lenses, camera, housing. The interior can be configured anyway you want. I got it for around $50.

ccarter
09-21-2007, 09:06
I've only traveled with a pretty simple point and shoot & a cheap canon housing.. I had the camera in my pocket so I could take photos while on the plane or in the airport and the housing was in my Gregory G Pack (http://www.gregorypacks.com/prod.php?ID=15) which I use as my carry-on for flying. Last time I just wrapped the housing up in a jacket and put it between some other soft items/clothes. This year if I end up traveling with a housing I'm considering getting a small pelican case to carry it in which I can stuff in the pack.

BobArnold8265
09-21-2007, 09:27
I bought a cheap small suitcase (good sized but small enough to be carry-on). Then filled it with "replacement foam" from pelican. When I travel, it looks like any other suitcase but protects my gear with several inches of foam all around. The whole thing ran around $35 which is a lot less than the cost of a pelican bag.

sudnit5
09-21-2007, 10:24
Just a suitcase, nothing fancy.

bversteegh
09-22-2007, 23:08
I also like the combination computer/camera backpacks; since I want to carry on both my camera stuff and my computer. Pelican cases are nice, but really heavy. I travel to 3rd world locations to dive, and making weight allocations is really hard with all my photo gear.

I put all my camera gear (body, 5 lenses, 2 strobes, strobe arms, filters, wet diopter), and one battery charger and enough batteries for everything plus my laptop in the backpack.

In a normal roller back, I put my housing and one port, dive computer, regulator, mask, my one piece 3 mil wetsuit rolled up, and a couple days clothes (use the clothes and wetsuit as padding) and essential toiletry items. So with my carry on stuff, I am relatively self sufficient even if my checked luggage doesn't make it. Both carry ons are borderline overweight for many airlines, but I never been stopped (YET:smiley2:).

crpntr133
09-22-2007, 23:23
Store your gear??..kinda hard to dive it if it is stored. :D
Mine gets hung up to dry out and repacked into my Stanley tool tote for the next trip. The only thing that truly gets stored is my 3mm farmer john since I don't use it that much. I just hang it up on a wet suit hanger in the closet.

Phestr
09-23-2007, 03:05
Actually, I just meant when you aren't using it...and I came up with this: Get a locking lid Rubbermaid, glue in some Pelican foam, and pluck it out to shape. Then call it a day. Thanx for the inputs, guys.

Cheddarchick
09-23-2007, 06:43
If you mean camera gear, I bought a med (16 can) hardsided coller from Wally World. $13 bucks, has a couple of pockets to stick extra stuff in and it will hold my SP350 & PT30, Ikelite DS51 Strobe and all accessories. I carry it on and use it as a dunk tank if I have to....If you mean everthing else, since my kids moved out I stole their closets for my own use.....ahhhh room to spare, everything hung up and accessible. It's great to be old

crpntr133
09-23-2007, 10:20
Just thought of something. I have heard that roaches like silicone.

Fireplug
05-08-2008, 20:38
Nah, I think they just like hanging around Pamela Anderson.

Back to the thread, we've got a store called Containers, Inc., or something close to that in Columbus, Ohio at Easton Shopping Destination. They have boxes, bins, storage stuff of all shapes and sizes. I got a plastic roller box with a lid that can be secured with a pad lock. It was around $35 I think. Holds XL bcd, all my dive stuff except tank. I think if I packed real careful, it would hold the tank also. Real nice when I come out of the water, throw everything in the bin, put the lid on and get for home. No water leaking out on the interior of whatever I'm driving. Haven't tried to fly it so don't know if it would be oversize for that.

Black plastic so my Scubatoys sticker shows up glowingly!!! :smiley20:

ChrisA
05-08-2008, 20:42
What do you guys use to store your gear. I was looking at Pelican, is this the best solution?

Pelican is kind of overkill for storage. Just a simple Rubbermaid storage tub with a stap on lid work fine. They cost about $10 at Home Depot. I think I have enough gear to fill four of those tubs. and then the tanks, I just lay down on a self

The gear I use most frequently is mostly either (1) hung up to dry or (2) in a bag ready to go in my truck or near the near the door inide. I try to dive at least every week conditions permitting

elijahb
05-08-2008, 20:52
Hope that storage solution works for you.