PDA

View Full Version : Fin Storage

Cichlid
08-11-2007, 23:28
Besides keeping them inside out of the heat, is there any special way I should store my fins?

DivingsInMyBlood
08-12-2007, 00:29
as far as i know make sure there not all folded and you should keep them in a dry place thats not hot.

the gooch
08-12-2007, 00:37
Always store your fins in to the current...

picxie
08-12-2007, 01:26
I store all my gear in a big bin (well, except for the wetsuit & BCD which is hung up) and I keep the fins on top so they don't get bent. If I had the room, I'd consider hanging them up as well.

namabiru
08-13-2007, 20:20
On your feet, in the water :D

Seriously, not really. Just put them somewhere where they won't get all bent. You perhaps don't have to, but I tend to remove my spring straps and store them separately. If I had room as well, I would prefer to hang my fins up. I don't know why, but it just makes sense to have them near my wetsuits/BCD/ reg.

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 20:25
I hang my fins on my scuba rack.

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 20:43
As long as the foot pocket doesn't get crushed or otherwise compromised you're good. Mine came with foot pocket protectors and I use them. Otherwise as long as the dog doesn't use them for a chew toy they will be fine.

TAH 73
08-13-2007, 21:20
Fin keepers in the pocket, and also try and keep any black rubber materals from touching anything silicone.
Rocket fins will stain clear silicone items.
Mares sends fin tip protectors with thier Avanti Quattro's as well.

ertechsg
08-13-2007, 21:33
I keep mine in my dive bag, in the closet ready to go. Ya just never know when you might need them

Zenagirl
08-14-2007, 05:45
Ours are in the fin pockets of our travel dive bags.

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 19:40
keep them from getting bent and out of the heat, sunlight is the thing that will hurt them the most, it will make the plastic become brittle

Phestr
08-15-2007, 07:48
I store all my gear in a big bin (well, except for the wetsuit & BCD which is hung up) and I keep the fins on top so they don't get bent. If I had the room, I'd consider hanging them up as well.

Ditto. Big Bin Users Unite!

loudgonzo
08-16-2007, 15:38
I recently "aquired" a diving closet in our house. It used to be the coat closet, but used as a junk closet with pillows, umbrellas, and a DVD that I spent days looking for....Now its got my gear and the fins hang on a hanger along with gloves and boots.

creggur
08-16-2007, 16:25
I recently "aquired" a diving closet in our house. It used to be the coat closet, but used as a junk closet with pillows, umbrellas, and a DVD that I spent days looking for....Now its got my gear and the fins hang on a hanger along with gloves and boots.

We are clearing out a closet tonight to store our dive gear in....Right now it's just all over a spare bedroom in the house:smiley36:

namabiru
08-17-2007, 11:23
As long as the foot pocket doesn't get crushed or otherwise compromised you're good. Mine came with foot pocket protectors and I use them. Otherwise as long as the dog doesn't use them for a chew toy they will be fine.

He he, that just reminded me of someone's story about diving with the foot pocket protectors still in their fins, and the instructor tactfully reminding them afterwards to take the protectors out... :smilie40:

divingbuddy
08-17-2007, 12:00
If you do need to store your fins standing up, make sure that you stand them with the fin tips up. This will ensure you don't bend your fins - I chuckle when I see the fins with a permanent 'curl' from being stood up wrong.

Hope this helps...Cheers!

torrey
08-17-2007, 12:40
Mares sends fin tip protectors with thier Avanti Quattro's as well.

Really? I bought a new pair through an auction house on ebay, but they weren't in the original box. Does anybody carry these? I didn't see them on Mares website.

namabiru
08-17-2007, 13:33
If you do need to store your fins standing up, make sure that you stand them with the fin tips up. This will ensure you don't bend your fins - I chuckle when I see the fins with a permanent 'curl' from being stood up wrong.

Hope this helps...Cheers!

He he he, elf fins. He he he. :smiley36:

cummings66
08-17-2007, 18:21
My fins are usually left in the back of my Cherokee, flat. Sometimes I'll bring them in if I need to clean them, then they get stored flat.

namabiru
08-18-2007, 10:45
We are clearing out a closet tonight to store our dive gear in....Right now it's just all over a spare bedroom in the house:smiley36:

You know, that's what I'd like to be able to get, is a European-style wardrobe (or at least I had one when I lived in England). A free-standing closet which you could dedicate to storing dive gear. I suppose someone who was handy could build one fairly easily, but unfortunately I'm not so much. Also, I move too much to have something like that. Definitely looking forward to a 2BR, so I can use the closet that way.

Buoyant1
08-20-2007, 07:49
Store like for the winter, or like between dives?

For the winter I usually put the inserts in the foot pockets, and the tip protectors on the tips...but between dives, I keep them in my bag once they are dried from the post dive rinsing!

subsur
08-20-2007, 10:56
dry area, no direct sunlight, you can put them in a big ziplock bag so that there is little oxygen coming in contact with the rubber.

CompuDude
08-20-2007, 15:11
dry area, no direct sunlight, you can put them in a big ziplock bag so that there is little oxygen coming in contact with the rubber.

Geez, how long do you want your fins to last?

Jetfins last forever as long as you keep them stored flat (or at least supported) and out of direct sunlight. Other fins will generally last longer than you'll want to keep them (eventually the next great thing will come out, and/or fashions will change, and you'll want to replace them).

Not much in the way of moving parts, with the exception of some buckle assemblies. Fin's don't need much if any care, especially compared to the rest of your gear.

dallasdivergirl
08-20-2007, 16:34
I keep mine in my dive bag.

The dang mutt ate the pocket inserts.

mm_dm
08-20-2007, 16:38
Store like for the winter

What is this 'winter' you speak of?

Travelnsj
09-01-2007, 20:58
Once mine are dried...they go into my dive bag....ready for my net trip in a month.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 21:04
dry out of sunlight after a nice rinse and even after daily dives i still put the foot inserts in just to hold shape and incase i forget and miss the dive

meesier42
09-04-2007, 07:14
I use force fins and I can store them under the car tire and they will be fine.
But seriously, keep the fins out of the light and flat and you should be fine

wxboy911
09-04-2007, 08:21
After a rinse and dry they go back into the Dive bag by the door.

Capt Hook
09-04-2007, 09:05
flat works

ian
09-04-2007, 09:42
Ours get rinsed and dried on the racks on the back patio. After they're dry, the hang from short towel racks I put on the wall in the SCUBA room.

With four divers in the house, room to store flat is at a premium. I got four towle rails; cut them to length for a pair of fins and a snorkle and put them on the wall. Now everyone has a place to put their fins when they're not in use.

Charlotte Smith
09-04-2007, 11:04
If we aren't letting everything dry after diving, they are on the shelf just waiting to go back in our dive bags...they are never bent and they are always in the house out of the heat and cold...