PDA

View Full Version : DUI dog days

dagrath
08-14-2008, 20:51
For the people who have been to these events, are they worth it and fun? And also, how crowded do they get?

I am just wondering if I need to get there right as it opens so that I have enough time to get fitted and try a few different suits. There is an event in September at Lake Tahoe, which is almost a 4 hour drive for me. I am not that keen to drive that far and wait in long lines all day, but I really don't have any feel for how many people show up.

Assuming it is not unreasonably crowded, seems like a great opportunity to try the different levels of drysuits, and get hopelessly addicted to diving dry.

SkuaSeptember
08-15-2008, 08:20
I hate to be vague, but the turnout generally depends on the day. At Stagefort Park in Gloucester,Ma there will usually be 3 instructors in the water at a time taking out 3 or 4 divers at a time. If I remember from your other posts you are on the tall thin side. The suit sizes offer a pretty good distribution, so unless a whole slew of tall thin divers show up at once, you should be in pretty good shape for finding a suit to dive, but they may not have every style in your size.
Remember to bring everything you will need to dive including tanks and some extra weights.
Enjoy!

snagel
08-15-2008, 08:45
As said, it kinda depends on the day. I was at Mermet Springs last Oct and there was quite a few people (great day) and then at Table Rock in April (terrible day - floods). Actually, there were a lot of people at TR also, but no diving.

I don't know how Lake Tahoe is set up as far as accomodations. DUI does a very good job with getting people through the stations and fitted. At the start usually 9:00 a.m. there is a long line and then it dwindles down and the rest of the day you can get through fairly quickly. If Lake Tahoe is limited with accomodations such as covered pavillions and you want to get one, then go early if you are wanting a specific spot if not then it is kinda better to wait for the initial line to go through.

If you haven't been to one, you need to go. Don't let the possibility of the long lines stop you. Again, the DUI Staff and Volunteers do a great job getting people through the lines.

Snagel

tc_rain
08-15-2008, 10:43
The ones i have been to are well organized and they move everyone along at a good pace. there always seems to be plenty of help and suits for all sizes. it is a great event worth attending at least once.

TRACI
08-15-2008, 11:22
I think there is a demo in Nov. at CSSP that we are going to try and attend.

dagrath
08-15-2008, 11:27
Cool, thanks for the info. Sounds like I should probably go, especially since I am already starting to get the itch to dive dry.

Divingguy
08-15-2008, 14:19
DO go! It is worth it to get info about sizing of all of the various components, and try different suit and undergarment configurations. At the Dog Days at CSSP last November, they were short of instructors and DM's for a while, and it got really backed up, with some people very unhappy. I guess my timing was better. I got to make 3 dives in 3 different rigs, got a bite to eat. I also was given a hat that says "DUI" in huge letters, and then "Test Diver" below that. I have actually had several people make disparaging comments about the hat, thinking I was promoting drunk diving. It is too hard to explain to non-divers.

jj1987
08-15-2008, 19:36
I went to the one at Manatee springs here in FL and had a great time. Turnout was what you'd expect for a free chance at diving dry, so being patient was a must.

cummings66
08-17-2008, 09:33
I've enjoyed every rally I've ever attended, and at every one the waits are there but not excessive. I'd say the wait to get sized and all is not that long, maybe 1/2 hour to an hour, but the wait to get a drysuit might be a couple hours if you show up later on in the day if you happen to be a popular size.