PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock Sunken Bridge

Nemrod
08-16-2008, 12:39
I dove the bridge last year before the floods. It was deep, cold, decent viz, interesting dive, solo of course. It is a fairly large structure.

Anyone here dove the Kimberling City Bridge? Pictures, GPS, information, please post it here for the day the lake finally returns to normal.

I manuvered my boat over the bridge after locating what appeared to be a continuous section and then I handed the helm to my wife and I went over the side and did a free drop. The bottom is around 190 to 200 feet at normal pool. So if you miss the bridge, it is a long drop.

Has anyone done a shore dive on this structure?

N

texdiveguy
08-16-2008, 13:02
N, I have not persl. dove the Kimberling City Bridge site, but in 10/07 3 divers hit it via boat. They dropped a hook and made the dive via the down line. At the time the road bed was in 140ffw with low vis of a few feet and water temp around 48f.,,,,they did some exploration to around 170ffw....the depth to the top of the bridge girders is 108ffw as reported. Course winter is the best time to take advantage of possible clearer conditions and mid week like they sugg. for min. boat traffic.

Nemrod
08-16-2008, 16:58
Those are the depths I encountered, I hit 170 plus feet following a pylon down from the roaddbed. It is a deep dive. I had about 30 foot viz or less and it was 48 degrees. Yep. Cold and dark.

I just criss crossed until I saw the road bed solid on my sonar and then dropped in over it and plummeted downward as fast as possible so as not to miss it by drifting off. I cam back up the same way (but slower) and did my deco hangs in the open water below my sausage while my wife stayed by the sauasge above in the Whaler.

It is actually a cool dive but I think I will defer again until I get a drysuit--or not. I had enough viz that as I swam along the roadbed I could see the bridge structure above me--barely--in the green twilight.
N

fire diver
08-16-2008, 17:03
haven't dove it yet, but it one of my "to do" dives. I want to get to at least normoxic trimix before I do it though. If I'm going that deep, I want to be able to stay for a few minutes, but not have the huge deco load as from air.

A group from TDS dove it last year. They also went to the river bed to recover a piece of equipment lost on a previous dive.

texdiveguy
08-16-2008, 18:05
haven't dove it yet, but it one of my "to do" dives. I want to get to at least normoxic trimix before I do it though. If I'm going that deep, I want to be able to stay for a few minutes, but not have the huge deco load as from air.

A group from TDS dove it last year. They also went to the river bed to recover a piece of equipment lost on a previous dive.

I was schd. in that October crew, but had to change plans prior to our dive date....would love to hit the site but only with trimix divers.

texdiveguy
08-16-2008, 18:06
Those are the depths I encountered, I hit 170 plus feet following a pylon down from the roaddbed. It is a deep dive. I had about 30 foot viz or less and it was 48 degrees. Yep. Cold and dark.

I just criss crossed until I saw the road bed solid on my sonar and then dropped in over it and plummeted downward as fast as possible so as not to miss it by drifting off. I cam back up the same way (but slower) and did my deco hangs in the open water below my sausage while my wife stayed by the sauasge above in the Whaler.

It is actually a cool dive but I think I will defer again until I get a drysuit--or not. I had enough viz that as I swam along the roadbed I could see the bridge structure above me--barely--in the green twilight.
N

A group of us will be diving Broken Bow Ok. tomm.,,,,at around 130ffw it's about 48f now.

DivingCRNA
08-16-2008, 22:47

FYI-Trimix actually INCREASES your deco time. Trimix is good for narcosis reduction, not decreasing deco.

He is more soluble than nitrogen.

Nemrod
08-16-2008, 23:00
Yes, those 48 degree temps make it a challenge for cold water weenies like me. I don't like it at all but what can you do.

I had an idea of course of the depth before I did the dive because I had scanned it with my side scan sonar in the past. The problem with side scan is that it looks to the side so I have to use my down looking sonar to get on the site.

The cold compounds the diffuculty of the dive on top of the depth and the less than good viz. It is diffucult on air due to a compressed schedule and being solo.

I am not from this area and hope not to be from here much longer and return to the coast so I am not clear on this bridge--what happened to the roadway that should lead to it? Is there a way to shore dive and follow the old road bed down to the bridge or anchor in shallower water to the side (of all the boat traffic) to enter this site?

I have posted this pic before but here is the bridge:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/kimberlingbridges.jpg

Here it is on my sonar down looking:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00020.jpg

On side scan:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00021.jpg

BTW, I was not looking for a buddy, I was just hopeful for additional information on the structure and the best part of it to dive, best approach to it given it's size and diffuculty. I will do the dive on air, I am not prone to narcosis, been much, much deeper, the cold and dark worry me more.

Anchoring in close to 200 feet of water is not fun, to avoid that or doing a free drop like I did it seems there should be an abandoned road bed to follow down from a shallower depth??

N

fire diver
08-17-2008, 11:47

FYI-Trimix actually INCREASES your deco time. Trimix is good for narcosis reduction, not decreasing deco.

He is more soluble than nitrogen.

Talk about having a DUH! :smiley29: moment. I knew that (at least in the BACK of my brain). This desert must be effecting my brain.

fire diver
08-17-2008, 11:52
Yes, those 48 degree temps make it a challenge for cold water weenies like me. I don't like it at all but what can you do.

I had an idea of course of the depth before I did the dive because I had scanned it with my side scan sonar in the past. The problem with side scan is that it looks to the side so I have to use my down looking sonar to get on the site.

The cold compounds the diffuculty of the dive on top of the depth and the less than good viz. It is diffucult on air due to a compressed schedule and being solo.

I am not from this area and hope not to be from here much longer and return to the coast so I am not clear on this bridge--what happened to the roadway that should lead to it? Is there a way to shore dive and follow the old road bed down to the bridge or anchor in shallower water to the side (of all the boat traffic) to enter this site?

I have posted this pic before but here is the bridge:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/kimberlingbridges.jpg

BTW, I was not looking for a buddy, I was just hopeful for additional information on the structure and the best part of it to dive, best approach to it given it's size and diffuculty. I will do the dive on air, I am not prone to narcosis, been much, much deeper, the cold and dark worry me more.

Anchoring in close to 200 feet of water is not fun, to avoid that or doing a free drop like I did it seems there should be an abandoned road bed to follow down from a shallower depth??

N

You would think that there would be a shallower section, or at least a road bed leading to it. Maybe the roadway was removed by the CoE, or is under several feet of mud now.

texdiveguy
08-18-2008, 00:01
I have heard from several sources the road way leading from both ends of the structure to the ground were removed....I have no positive proof of that...it rumors.

clayhwalker
08-18-2008, 00:17
I was told there was a line to the superstructure. Regardless I am interested in getting a trip together for later this winter. I have a 28' pontoon boat that can easily accommodate 4 divers with doubles. It will probably be in late November or early December, since I am out of town on business till then, if anyone is interested that has made the dive before or just wants to go let me know.

texdiveguy
08-18-2008, 00:33
I was told there was a line to the superstructure. Regardless I am interested in getting a trip together for later this winter. I have a 28' pontoon boat that can easily accommodate 4 divers with doubles. It will probably be in late November or early December, since I am out of town on business till then, if anyone is interested that has made the dive before or just wants to go let me know.

If I can round up another trimix diver to buddy with I may be interested in that trek.

skdvr
08-18-2008, 09:49
I am in no way qualified to make that dive, but depending on when you go I may come down and offer some help from the boat if you want it....

Keep us updated on what you guys get together....

You guys may want to call Slim at the State Park Marina. He is a tech diver that lives down there at the lake, and knows a lot about the dives there... I would guess he would probably be a good resource. I know he has a presence on the midwestdive (http://midwestdive.com) forum so maybe you could ask over there...

Phil

cummings66
08-18-2008, 12:42
There is a line there that does go to the bridge. Many don't use it because it means more time spent going down and more deco time coming up. That's why a lot of guys snag the bridge.

Dark Wolf
08-18-2008, 20:22
That is the same thing that I have heard, Matt. A lot of divers prefer to grapple the bridge. 1st for the decreased deco obligation, 2nd due to heavy boat traffic in the summer. Granted, the heavy boat traffic should not be a concern on winter dives.

DW

texdiveguy
08-18-2008, 21:21
You guys mention this line run from shore to the structure......it must be one heck of a 'long' run of line to add much to the deco obligation of a dive profile--? Many o/w lines that are grappled on wrecks are not straight descents either.......I am curious of this site and this line.

Regardless I would think as its been explained to me the bridge site is a much better dive via secured boat.

Nemrod
08-18-2008, 22:00
When I did the dive last Sept there was not that much boat traffic. The sunken bridge is so close to the new bridge I don't really see how grappling the bridge gets you any futher from the traffic than dropping on to the line at the (new) bridge pylons.

Hanging a grapple may be a good idea and then just drift across it and hook the structure. Since I did not want my wife to have to deal with all of that I just dropped over when I saw the bridge on my sonar. Since I had criss crossed it several times with sonar I had a good idea of where it was and the best approach. As I dropped down the bridge came out of the gloom when I was about 20 feet over it and just to the side. I have done open water deco before so I just did my deco stops free hang until at 30 feet I sent up my sausage. My wife was above, I could hear the Whaler above me (my wife insists on grinding the gears--lol) so I knew she was on the sausage and had my 12 o'clock covered with the boat.

Unless your planning to drop to the river bed, the old channel, I don't think you really need trimix but whatever floats your boats. It is an advanced dive but more due to the cold and viz. I suspect it may be until next year, if all goes well, that viz returns to Table Rock, recent reports of friends diving there are not encouraging.

N

texdiveguy
08-19-2008, 00:01
Nemrod you mentioned that you dropped to 170 plus ffW in cold less than ideal vis.. solo......I to have done a few drops near those deeps on air in similar conditions, but do find it a much safer bet to be on 'mix' under these diving conditions, solo or teamed.

This site from divers I have visited with is a serious dive that required a serious approach.....and the skill and experience to match. Sounds like a challenging opportunity for those prepared to make the most out of the site.

Your insight and first hand input having made one dive on the bridge does add to information/data someone considering the dive might use in planning.

I will approach a few others and see about a winter trip up there for a few dives on the bridge.

ScubaJ
08-19-2008, 09:47
Sounds like a very unique and amazing dive.
Have fun and be safe.

I look forward to more reports.

Nemrod
08-19-2008, 19:51
Nemrod you mentioned that you dropped to 170 plus ffW in cold less than ideal vis.. solo......I to have done a few drops near those deeps on air in similar conditions, but do find it a much safer bet to be on 'mix' under these diving conditions, solo or teamed.

This site from divers I have visited with is a serious dive that required a serious approach.....and the skill and experience to match. Sounds like a challenging opportunity for those prepared to make the most out of the site.

Your insight and first hand input having made one dive on the bridge does add to information/data someone considering the dive might use in planning.

I will approach a few others and see about a winter trip up there for a few dives on the bridge.

I am not telling you or encouraging you to do it the way I did or any other way. I did not drop straight to 170, I dropped to the bridge structure and then quickly worked my way down to about 170 feet and then departed straight up for the surface, a free ascent. What I do is based on my having been a diver for about, oh, just over four DECADES. So, what I do and consider acceptable is not always exaxctly the same for others. I said I don't really consider this a trimix dive because you can dive much of the structure without exceeding 150 feet, especially if you stay along the top of the structure. I have done a lot of deep air and I have since forever primarily dived solo, just the way it works for me.

If your planning to go to the old river channel and stay for any length of time then, yes, you will probably want to do the mix gas approach and you will probably feel more confident with some type of reference (anchor/grapple line etc) to do you deco.

Worrying about my wife above grinding the boat in and out of gear after I had told her just to watch for my sausage, then motor to it and then hook on with the boat hook and then double wrap it to the davit and knowing that instead she was circling it was making me want to hurry up and get to the boat so I could fuss and raise cane over my intructions being ignored--lol---wifes, what can you say :smiley36:. It also complicated my deco plans because I had counted on the boat for stability. Instead I pretty much did a free hang. Oh well. Maybe she is trying to collect insurance or something. :smiley5:

With the water level so high, of course, that changes everything right now, I would recommend, if I had to say, not diving it now due to the viz and increased depths involved. Everything in Table Rock is deep or has the potential for great depth from the Zeb Pike to the Enchanted Forest to that "Sunken City" to this Kimberling Bridge. It is all deep and deeper and all COLD.

N

Nemrod
08-19-2008, 22:04
This is still my favorite lake dive, whatever y'all call it, the Zebulon Pike.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/00004_edited-1.jpg

This side scan I have posted before shows the structure. You can enter the "wreck" through an opening on the lower side and swim though a number of passageways as you work up from the lower hull level, through what apprears to be a mechanical room, through some sort of entertainment area and then to an upper level via a stair way and out the top deck. It is way cool and not as deep as the Kimberling Bridge. It can be a bit confusing and silts very easy. Last time I was there last Fall I elected not to enter because I saw something hanging from the ceiling and the viz was less than acceptable.

N

mm2002
08-20-2008, 22:25
If you guys seriously plan to do this dive, I'd appreciate a phone call. I would like to be there for pics, some video, etc. It would make a very cool story, and I can get it on the front page of the news paper. 417-545-1145

SteveC
08-20-2008, 23:16
Looks like the General to me :)

mm2002
08-20-2008, 23:18
Looks like the General to me :)

Yep, you don't need no stinking sonar to get a pic of the Zeb....:smiley2:

snagel
08-21-2008, 05:02
Nemrod,

I've dove the General (Zeb). Just for a reference to me can you tell me in your sonar picture, which way the nearest shore is? Is it to the right or left of your sonar picture? We tied up on the shore bank, surface swam out to the buoy marker (pop bottle) and followed the line down to the boat.

Way cool pic, by the way.

Snagel

skdvr
08-21-2008, 06:36
Nemrod,

I've dove the General (Zeb). Just for a reference to me can you tell me in your sonar picture, which way the nearest shore is? Is it to the right or left of your sonar picture? We tied up on the shore bank, surface swam out to the buoy marker (pop bottle) and followed the line down to the boat.

Way cool pic, by the way.

Snagel

I am pretty sure that it is the right side... The only reason that I say that is becauase it is higher in the water than the left... Just a guess but that is the way that I am looking at it...

Phil

Nemrod
08-21-2008, 20:21
The right side of that sonar scan should be the side nearer shore.

Y'all can think that little canoe that is tied up at the dock is the Zebulon Pike if y'all want to but I am not convinced. The wreck that we dive and is in my scan is considerably larger than that little bitty boat I saw at the dock.

Back before the scaryboard crash I had done a bunch of research and even found some info, a few pictures and various statements of old timers in the area and posted it, not all was internet crap, and nothing I found was conclusive to the identity of either vessal. They could have just as easily swapped the names the other way around to whichever was the active tour boat.

I had found an old picture that was of poor quality and taken at great distance but the boat in it certainly looked a lot more like the Zebulon Pike that lies on the bottom than the one that is tied up at that dock. Will the real imposter stand up?

I have not dived the Zeb all the way around to the bow since my second (of now about 6 dives on it) but as I said before, I could almost swear that the name Zebulon Pike is painted on the bow. I could be wrong about that but until somebody who has actually swam all the way around the wreck -- and looked--tells me there is no name on the boat will I be convinced one way or another. I could be wrong, I fully admit that the name on the bow might be a creation of my mind I have confused with something else but--well---go down to the deep end of the wreck and look and see if you see anything written on it.

This Table Rock lake, for a manmade creation, is somewhat mysterious, there is the alleged Sunken City with even a FAKE artical expose' in Dive Training online. It is crazy that there are no GPS for this stuff. So, I set out to find them. Best I can tell, I may be the only real person who has actually dived the real Sunken City and reported a real GPS.

All of these lines tied to a tree down by Farmer Bill's chicken coup, take a left and then go until you see a spotted meat goat in the field with the oak tree and then go 150 paces and enter the water BS them Missourians go on about is BS so don't mind me to much if I don't believe the boat name issue is not just as fake.

State Park Marina | Table Rock Lake Dive Locations (http://www.stateparkmarina.com/divelocations.html)

Table Rock Lake diving info (http://www.indianpointdivecenter.com/Shark.html)

TABLE ROCK INFORMATION (http://www.cei.net/~dvines/tablrock.html#4)

Typical exaggerated Mo. quote:

"If you feel the need to see what lies beneath the surface of these waters, the marina at Table Rock Lake State Park offers scuba equipment rentals, instruction and guided trips. One favorite dive site is the remains of the Zebulon Pike, a double-deck excursion boat that lies at the bottom of the lake under about 80 feet of crystal-clear water"

Crystal clear, yeah, and the Roswell UFO is parked in the town square of the Sunken City, you betcha. But they are right, it has two decks plus the hull deck and top excursion deck which makes it more of a substantial vessel than that cabin cruiser we see at State Park marina.

I thought Missouri was the show me state or some such, do I have that right, show me the money or in this case, put the GPS coordinates down, pictures, and directions and dive reports needed please. GPS talks, BS walks as they say.

Back to the original post, the Kimberling City Bridge, I guess I am going to have to go back and dive it and send up a float so I can get a GPS on it since none seem to exist. Don't need no GPS, just take a left at the meat goat, swim 150 paces to the stump with the Pepsi bottle and then blah, blah, lol, laughable. I guess this is what makes it fun.

BTW, this is a scan of the area I dived, this is the Sunken City, I was there, I dove it, UFOs, ha ha, I am not telling. Take a left at the meat goat, follow the foot trail by the old barn----------.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00034.jpg

One other thing, I have been in the old airforce base at Roswell, I went into that hanger in the middle of the field, the one that is off limits, the one that has Elvis's red Sabre Jet in it guarded by giant radioactive tarantulas, the one that has the-------lol. Yep, I seen it and, well, I am under orders.

N

skdvr
08-21-2008, 21:07
I have not dove the Zeb(General) in over a year but when I saw the boat in the marina that has Zebulon Pike on it, I really thought that it seamed smaller to me, but I figured that it had just been a while since I had seen the other one. It is so hard to know what is what. I have never noticed anything on the bow of the boat that is underwater but it is a pretty big boat and not the best of vis. Maybe this winter if I can get down there I will be able to check it out....

Phil

Nemrod
08-21-2008, 21:21
That side scan is in scale, the water column is the depth and is represented by the surface to the first intersection of the sonar wave with the bottom. The boat is clearly longer or as long as it is deep in the water. That little bitty boat in the marina just does not appear anywhere near as substantial.

Is there nobody alive who rode on the tour boat that plyed the lake before the current Branson Belle and has pictures of it on the lake as opposed to under it. Really? What gives with this.

The boat I saw tied up at the dock is hardly larger than one of those stupid ducks that go around the island by the Branson Belle. It is no proof of which is which except that the boat that is on the bottom, The General (alleged), is larger and I think it is the tour boat and the one y'all think is the Zebulon Pike is the water taxi/service boat to it. Could that be?

N

mm2002
08-21-2008, 22:23
The boat I saw tied up at the dock is hardly larger than one of those stupid ducks that go around the island by the Branson Belle.
N

It's actually over twice the size of the ducks, at around 60 ft long, so lets compare apples to apples here. Like it or not, the real Zeb isn't sunk (yet:smiley2:).
The boat that's sunk is what was tied off at the dock, and used for ticket sales and boarding. The actual Zeb still floats in all her glory. My good friend Snagel and I walked all over her, and he took these pics just a few months ago. This is an itty bitty canoe??:smiley36:

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/zeb1.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/zeb2.jpg

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/zeb3.jpg

Nemrod
08-21-2008, 23:24
That boat is to the best of my judgement smaller than the sunken version, OK, that one is about twice the size of a duck--lol.

Inside the mechanical area of the Zebulon Pike/General there are what appear to be some sort of drive shafts broken off and twisted. I don't know, it is all a mystery to me since nobody ever rode on either of them during their life afloat apparently? The boat in the old picture I saw does not look like that boat there in your picture, yes, compared to what I am seeing on the bottom that one appears to be a large canoe--lol--it only has one deck. If you look in my side scan you can actually see the two decks, the hull, the upper promenade. There is also a lot of jagged, rusty iron railings and parts and I have a scar now to prove that.

Here is what I think, they named the boats both the Zebulon Pike, the one that is sunken was the original, when it was no longer useful the one you see there, the big canoe, became the Zebulon Pike and the original Zebulon Pike became a floating dock or whatever and then they called it the General, maybe, the locals continued to call it the Zeb as they still do today, maybe not.

The facts are the boat (or whatever it is) on the bottom is larger, has more decks, has stairways, swim throughs, a pretend like smoke stack, what appeared to be an engine room or something, a steering station area. I sure wish we could find some old pictures of what it all looked like in the day.

They need to sink that big canoe in an area that is typically more clear than the inlet there at Indian Point. Of my numerous explorations of the Zeb/General only two have had decent viz and really only one was actually good and it was darn good that day. I was able to go the entire length to the bow and then dropped down the slope some distance below the boat to about 130 feet or a bit less and back to the wreck, did a short swim through, visited the smoke stack and swam along the upper deck, it was a great solo dive. The next time I went back I went with the intention of entering the boat and exploring the inside, which I did.

Last fall I went back to dive and explore it some more and also find the lost Sunken City and the Kimberling Bridge, which I did. Upon diving the General/Zeb, the viz was poor and as I mentioned I could see something in the main entertainment area that appeared to be dislodged. Now, viz was poor and it just sucked my lights up like a sponge so I don't know for sure but I elected not to enter.

It is all speculation on everybodies part until we return dive and look for a name painted on it or such as that or find a "historical" character to attest to the facts or pictures showing the cabin cruiser named the Zeb tied up to a barge named the General with two decks, iron railings, pretend smoke stack and all of that because that is what is on the bottom there at Indian Point, I have seen it.

N

snagel
08-22-2008, 06:13
Nemrod,

Good to see you back. I was part of the thread on the other forum that had a lot of great information about the Zeb. Much of which you contributed. Unfortinately, it was all lost after the forum crash. I have dove the General or Zeb and am the one that took the pictures that MM2002 posted.

There is great mystery in what is going on with these boats. I agree what is under water seems to me much bigger and more of a "show boat". Unless it is some type of allusion, what is under water definately is larger than what we seen parked in the marina. But, what is parked in the marina was used at one time as a tourist boat. It was set up that way and still has the bar, the table and chairs, etc. More pictures are in my photo album listed below.

Possibly, you may be right and there are two boats with the same name. It would be interesting to dive what is under the water again and look for the name of the boat. There is no doubt that what is parked in the marina is "labeled" as the Zebulon Pike.

Ever since the discussion on the other forum, this has been somewhat of a mystery of mine to solve. I thought we had it solved when I met up with MM2002 and we toured what is parked in the marina. Maybe that door isn't fully shut now because you do make some good points. Is it not out of the question that the mouring boat (what is under the water) be alittle more hyped up to draw people? What I mean, if you are going to take a tour of the lake back in the day on the Zebulon Pike. You walk up and there is a place to buy tickets and wait for your ticket time, the mouring boat would have all the things like a bar, smoke stack, etc. and then you actually tour on a smaller boat?

In my travels I only met one person around the lake who referred to what is sunken as the General. When I talked to them about the Zebulon Pike Dive they were confused because what they new that was sunken was called "The General".

Oddly enough, my assistant at work who is in her mid 50's, remembers as a child riding on the Zebulon Pike. She can't remember much details, but does have a picture of her standing in front of the area where she rode the boat. She is trying to find this picture, but not sure what happened to it. She does remember that there was a big area that looked like a boat where you bought your ticket and waited for your turn to ride. Could this "big area that looked like a boat" be what is sunken and was actually in its day "The General"? After finding the boat in the marina, that is what we kinda put together.

Anyway, maybe the mystery continues. I would love dive the boat again and look for any names on the boat. If anybody does, please post.

Snagel

fire diver
08-22-2008, 13:58
The answer to this riddle should findable with a little time and legwork. The lake was meant to be a huge tourist attraction, but it was doubtful in the beggining if it was worthwhile or not. That means there should have been a lot of brouchers and newspaper articles about the lake and everything about. If you know the general timeline the Zeb sailed, you should be able to go the library (local or county seat or state historical) and do research through the main newspapers from those years on microfische. Yeah, it's boring, and takes a while, but you get results like that. I have used this exact method to find some rewarding metal-detecting sites.

mm2002
08-22-2008, 16:59
This "mystery" is getting quite interesting again. I do actually remember reading somewhere that the original Zeb was a steam paddle boat. Does anyone who's done the dive remember anything like that? I know you (nemrod) said you saw a smokestack, but you thought it was fake. Is it possible that was a real smokestack? If the Zeb, in fact, was a steam powered boat, it would have had a real smokestack, no? The one tied up at the dock is a regular diesel powered prop boat, that we know for sure. Also, the dam wasn't completed until around 1955, so it may be easy enough doing some library research. I think I might. Would give something to take my mind off divorce.

So, who wants to come down and dive it again? I'm in. The last time anyone did the dive I didn't have much experience, but I'd definitely feel comfortable doing it now. I'd love to see it. Right now is the perfect time of the year to do it.

Nemrod
08-22-2008, 18:59
If you dive it please go to the bow where I thought I saw Zebulon Pike painted on it. This may be a creation of my mind, you know, getting old, narcosis, what can I say.

You guys could be right, the boat that is sunk was the holding dock for tourists while they waited for their turn, maybe, maybe not. Still, a picture of the sunken Zeb while it was afloat would help out.

I am not positive the smoke stack is fake, I just assumed it was. The mechanical area I encountered in one of my penetration dives is completely stripped and in disarray. I cannot say for sure if it is simply a barge decorated as a steamship or if perhaps it might actually have been some sort of powered craft.

Does any of this really matter, no, but it is fun to wonder about especially since nobody seems to know. I am still of the mind, names aside, that the sunken vessel was once some sort of powered craft that eventually found it's way to Table Rock for use as a tour boat and maybe wound up being a floating souvenir shop for the cabin cruiser looking Zebulon Pike.

I believe what I was told as well, it broke free from the mooring down near where the Branson Belle is now. It blew straight down the lake as is the prevailing wind and rode up on the bank at the Indian Point inlet a few yards from it's resting point today. It became an eyesore and the Corp and authorities told the owner to do something about it. I think they attempted to tow it off and it sunk and admist much flailing of hands and finger pointing and they left it to lay where it now rests--whatever it is.

N

Nemrod
08-22-2008, 19:02
There is a smoke stack BTW, that is not an imagination of my mind. I assumed it was fake--what--y'all have not seen the smoke stack either?? Are you sure you are diving the vessel I have been diving--eh?

N

snagel
08-22-2008, 22:17
I spoke to my assistant today who says she rode on the Zebulon Pike back in the day. I showed her the pictures I have on the Zebulon Pike that is in the marina. She said that is not the boat she rode on. The one she rode on had a "smoke stack" and she believed it had paddle wheels. She is positve the name of the boat was "Zebulon Pike". She still says she has a picture of her standing in front of it. Her mother recently passed away and she is in the process of going through everything such as pictures and will keep an eye out for it.

Here we go again......

BTW...Sorry for hijacking the thread. Should we start another thread?

S. Nagel

Nemrod
08-23-2008, 00:32
Yep, the picture I saw looked more like what is on the bottom today, not the one in the marina and I am just pretty darn sure Zebulon Pike is on the bow.

Whatever that party crusier at the marina is I am betting the boat on the bottom is the real Zebulon Pike. Swim to the bow, the side opposite the one the rope comes to. Go to the bottom and look up, that is what I recall in my mind seeing Zebulon Pike painted on the bow. I could be dreaming and if so I apologise for leading folks astray.

Go see for yourself and report back, if I am wrong, well, cannot always be right.

mm2002, you ask if the smoke stack could be real. I don't know, it struck me as being decorative much as the stacks are on the much larger modern Branson Belle. There is a mechanical looking room and it appeared to be in my mental map forward of the stack. It could have had a diesel or gasoline engine driving a paddle wheel with a fake smoke stack or it could have been converted from steam to gas/diesel or may have been a barge converted to paddlewheel. I saw some twisted shafts that look like they would have connected an engine to the paddlewheels.

As to hijacking the thread, I think I did it, I am just interested in ironing out names, locations, directions, descriptions and ultimately GPS for all Table Rock locations. It is up to you guys.

N

snagel
08-23-2008, 06:14
Here is my thought....

I'm thinking that back in the day what is on the bottom of TR was a ferry or touring boat called the Zebulon Pike. Maybe at some point it was retired due to mechanical issues or it broke loose and sunk. Anyway, the operators brought in this other boat and renamed it Zebulon Pike. Maybe they used the "old" boat for a mouring boat maybe not. But, their touring business had to continue and the new boat had to carry the Zebulon Pike name also.

I seem to remember (and I think you Nemrod posted this) some information from an older gentleman that outlined the history of the Zeb. In this, he talked about "The General".

What I'm thinking about doing is writing a letter to the local paper in Branson outlining the mystery of the Zebulon Pike and see if they can help with some research or some archieved news articles. They might be willing to help because it would make good reading in their paper.

S. Nagel

skdvr
08-23-2008, 07:43
I am pretty positive that the boat on the bottom has fake smoke stacks. If I remember correctly, one of them was leaning over and the deck beneath it was solid. On Mon I am going to look at my schedule and see when I may be able to get down to TRL. I am sure I could find someone to dive it with me. This time of year is starting to get busy again for me, so I may not have a weekend for a few months, but I will let you know if I do.

Phil

Nemrod
08-23-2008, 11:11
Here is my thought....

I'm thinking that back in the day what is on the bottom of TR was a ferry or touring boat called the Zebulon Pike. Maybe at some point it was retired due to mechanical issues or it broke loose and sunk. Anyway, the operators brought in this other boat and renamed it Zebulon Pike. Maybe they used the "old" boat for a mouring boat maybe not. But, their touring business had to continue and the new boat had to carry the Zebulon Pike name also.

I seem to remember (and I think you Nemrod posted this) some information from an older gentleman that outlined the history of the Zeb. In this, he talked about "The General".

What I'm thinking about doing is writing a letter to the local paper in Branson outlining the mystery of the Zebulon Pike and see if they can help with some research or some archieved news articles. They might be willing to help because it would make good reading in their paper.

S. Nagel

I did find and post that info and he did seem to refer to it as the General which only confused me more. I don't remember where I found all that info I posted and of course after the crash it is all gone including most of the GPS numbers I posted.

As to GPS, I had to do a master restart on my GPS so guess what, yep, it is gone as well. Perhaps we need to start thinking in terms of some sort of Table Rock Triangle or dark energy vortex. I was crusing across the lake with the GPS reading some place in China. After the reset it found itself but, well, there you go :smiley19:.

On that Kimberling Bridge, I proceeded to the south bank, the one nearest that resort with the steeep slope. So, I must have missed The Bell. Where is this bell?

The roadway, what comes of that going the other direction?

N

cummings66
08-23-2008, 14:37
I know it's tied to the structure at the top of the bridge, I think it's a memorial for some diver if I recall the story right. I'm thinking it's on the side closest to the new bridge.

texdiveguy
08-23-2008, 14:47
Here is my thought....

S. Nagel

I did find and post that info and he did seem to refer to it as the General which only confused me more. I don't remember where I found all that info I posted and of course after the crash it is all gone including most of the GPS numbers I posted.

As to GPS, I had to do a master restart on my GPS so guess what, yep, it is gone as well. Perhaps we need to start thinking in terms of some sort of Table Rock Triangle or dark energy vortex. I was crusing across the lake with the GPS reading some place in China. After the reset it found itself but, well, there you go :smiley19:.

On that Kimberling Bridge, I proceeded to the south bank, the one nearest that resort with the steeep slope. So, I must have missed The Bell. Where is this bell?

The roadway, what comes of that going the other direction?

N

I have heard there is a 'Bell' on the bridge.....man I need to arrange a trip up NE......question for you local folks or divers much more familiar with the lake than I am (which is very little knowledge myself of the lake)---- could the bridge and Zeb Pike be dove in the same few day span in terms of distance/accomd. and stuff??? Thanks

Nemrod
08-23-2008, 16:21
It is hot outside, the grass will have to wait.

Yes, you can dive both in a weekend. They are not that far apart. Afterall, this is a little bitsy lake, hardly the ocean ya know. ;)

You will have to have a boat one way or the other. The only shore dive in the lake is the place you hear over and over about as if it were THE PLACE to dive, Dewey Short at the dam. Here to tell you that is the WORST diving in the lake and the worst place to dive as far as I am concerned.

You can rent those funny little patio boats, pontoon boats, whatever they are called. If you have several people they are very reasonable to split the cost. You will have to have a GPS and an anchor and rode. There are also several "guides" available in the area that may already have a floating patio at their disposal.

Without a very good sonar--such as I have---I cannot recommend a free drop on either the Zeb (General) or the Bridge. You will have to find the guide lines or in the case of the Sunken Bridge, either grapple it or find a place to approach it from.

I amamazed thee is not a written Guide to Table Rock Diving complete with the locations, pictures, GPS, descriptions of the dives and conditions etc. I have tried to post all of that each time I had new info. Underwater pics are a problem as my last dive there last fall I did not have the fisheye lens I have now so there was no point in trying given the viz. You would need a super wide angle lens and a strong strobe and buddies who know how to not stir up the mud.

N

fire diver
08-23-2008, 16:34
well, since both require a boat, then yeah. It would just be a matter of cruising a few miles over to the other. Since both are deep, you will just have to plan your dives and SI's accordingly.

I used to have the ZEB numbers programmed into my GPS. But I just turned it on and it's gone. I don't remember erasing it either. I know I marked it on my lake map.....but that's 7600 miles away right now. This is actually kinda exciting. Positively puting a name to a sunken ship with a clouded past. I just wish I was there and could make the dives, or even do hands-on research. Just make sure you keep the rest of us posted on the progress (or even lack there-of).

texdiveguy
08-23-2008, 17:29
THANKS fellows for the information.....a boat and dive party will be easy enough....sounds like hitting the 'spots' is the issue. I will do a bit more investigation and post my findings in the future.....it seems like a great opt. to explore both sites in the span of a few days in the winter months. What is the 'general' depth of the sunken boat??

mm2002
08-23-2008, 18:08
Here is my thought....

S. Nagel

That sounds like a reasonable theory to me. Even though I've been somewhat convinced that the boat at Long Creek is and was the REAL Zeb, the other possibilities are there. Fact is, there have been many boats all over the world named the Zebulon Pike, as named after that famous explorer back in the day. Most of them have been steam powered paddle boats. If anyone puts a dive plan together, I'd love to do it. As far as the bridge (wasn't that what started this thread?:smiley2:), I'm afraid I'm out on that one for now. I'm good for topside support though.

fire diver
08-23-2008, 18:21
Here is something I wqas able to dig up....

"
Re: Hannah Kildahl

Remote Name: 12.43.88.164
Date: 10/26/03
Time: 12:46:44 PM

Comments

I can tell you a bit about her as to the last 30 years or so. I understand that she went out of service with the death of here builder/owner in the mid '60s; In about 1972 she was purchased by a Twin Cites excursion boat operator who added rails to the upper deck so that passengers could go up there via a spiral stairway located just behind the pilothouse. The Twin cities operator sold her in about 1975, and she ran, i beleive, one season on the Missouri River and one season on Kentucky Lake, then went to Little Rock Ar. on the Arkansas River, and was hauled overland to Table Rock Lake in Southwest Missouri. She ran on Table Rock for into the mid '80s under the name of Zebulon Pike (which the Twin cites operator gave here) A gentleman, whos name I will not post, bought her in about '80 or '81, when the prime interest rate was around 18%, and could not make a go of it. By 1989 she was abandoned in a cove on Indian Point (close to Silver Dollar City) The Army Corp of Engineers took her over, along with a barge that had been used as her dock (the barge was originally a ferry flat on the Mississippi River, and later used as an Excursion boat on Table Rock Lake until being retired to the position of dock barge. The barge was named "General Pike.") Anyway, the Corp took over both the Zebulon and the General. The General was intentionaly sunk as a dive site while the Zebulon was apparently transfered to private ownership. By the late '90s the Zebulon was still afloat and tied up, inactive, at Cricket Creek marina on Table Rock Lake. If you go to http://www.cricketcreek.com/PhotoGallery/DockPictures/VirtualDock.htm (http://www.cricketcreek.com/PhotoGallery/DockPictures/VirtualDock.htm) and scroll-down to the third photo in the column, the blue-painted bow of the Zebulon Pike can be seen at the right margin on the photo. Some diver websites mistakenly refer to the sunken General Pike as the Zebulon Pike. Twin Cummins diesels (one having been replaced in 1981) with Twin disc manually- shifted gearboxes. There was a story that, while being operated in Chicago, a large wave washed several people off of a breakwater, and that the Hannah rescued them, earning a praising letter from the Coast Guard. I know nothing earlier than the above, other than what has already been posted on this board."

from website: Re: Hannah Kildahl (http://archive.boatnerd.com/archivec/10-03/0000d007.htm)

seeing as how they both had the name "pike". maybe that was part of the confusion. maybe the CoE has some info since they appear to be the ones who scuttled her.

mm2002
08-23-2008, 18:29
Here is something I wqas able to dig up....

"
Re: Hannah Kildahl

Remote Name: 12.43.88.164
Date: 10/26/03
Time: 12:46:44 PM

Comments

I can tell you a bit about her as to the last 30 years or so. I understand that she went out of service with the death of here builder/owner in the mid '60s; In about 1972 she was purchased by a Twin Cites excursion boat operator who added rails to the upper deck so that passengers could go up there via a spiral stairway located just behind the pilothouse. The Twin cities operator sold her in about 1975, and she ran, i beleive, one season on the Missouri River and one season on Kentucky Lake, then went to Little Rock Ar. on the Arkansas River, and was hauled overland to Table Rock Lake in Southwest Missouri. She ran on Table Rock for into the mid '80s under the name of Zebulon Pike (which the Twin cites operator gave here) A gentleman, whos name I will not post, bought her in about '80 or '81, when the prime interest rate was around 18%, and could not make a go of it. By 1989 she was abandoned in a cove on Indian Point (close to Silver Dollar City) The Army Corp of Engineers took her over, along with a barge that had been used as her dock (the barge was originally a ferry flat on the Mississippi River, and later used as an Excursion boat on Table Rock Lake until being retired to the position of dock barge. The barge was named "General Pike.") Anyway, the Corp took over both the Zebulon and the General. The General was intentionaly sunk as a dive site while the Zebulon was apparently transfered to private ownership. By the late '90s the Zebulon was still afloat and tied up, inactive, at Cricket Creek marina on Table Rock Lake. If you go to http://www.cricketcreek.com/PhotoGallery/DockPictures/VirtualDock.htm (http://www.cricketcreek.com/PhotoGallery/DockPictures/VirtualDock.htm) and scroll-down to the third photo in the column, the blue-painted bow of the Zebulon Pike can be seen at the right margin on the photo. Some diver websites mistakenly refer to the sunken General Pike as the Zebulon Pike. Twin Cummins diesels (one having been replaced in 1981) with Twin disc manually- shifted gearboxes. There was a story that, while being operated in Chicago, a large wave washed several people off of a breakwater, and that the Hannah rescued them, earning a praising letter from the Coast Guard. I know nothing earlier than the above, other than what has already been posted on this board."

from website: Re: Hannah Kildahl (http://archive.boatnerd.com/archivec/10-03/0000d007.htm)

seeing as how they both had the name "pike". maybe that was part of the confusion. maybe the CoE has some info since they appear to be the ones who scuttled her.

Yep, that's the story I found somewhere on the internet, and posted on SB . I was searching, but couldn't find it again. It does make sense though.

Nemrod
08-23-2008, 21:38
Yes, that is one of the stories I posted way back in the lost thread. However, it should be noted that even the story above admits that the "dock" was itself a former tour boat on the lake and that we have a witness that recalls smoke stacks as I had found in another story I had previously posted in that lost thread. There seem to be several variations on this story. Could people be confusing the Table Rock tour boats with the Lady of the Lake paddle wheeler.

Depths to be expected on the General/Zebulon Pike are around 80 to 110 feet depending of course on lake pool level. This is not a dangerous dive as long as you do not enter the wreck but I would say it is a mildly advanced dive. A single 80 is really not enough to fully explore the wreck with a safety margin you should have given the depth, cold, marginal viz and possibility of entanglement with monofiliment.

I found a map I have with the Kimberling Bridge, it now appears the sunken roadway does not follow the path of the current bridge road approach but curves off toward a nearby inlet so it may still exist but would be to far to anchor on and dive the bridge.

I also see a sunken road bed in the abandoned city of Oasis I dove that I think I saw during my dive there. Now I see additionally had I followed that road it would have taken me to yet another sunken bridge but of course this one is much, much smaller. I wish I had known that. That would have been just to the north of the coordinates I posted for Oasis in another thread and the side scan pic I showed in this thread of the sunken city of Oasis.

Oh, the part about the crusier Zebulon Pike being abandoned at Indian Point is similar to another story but with facts switched around where I was told the paddle wheeler Zebulon Pike was grounded only yards from her current resting place and when they tried to pull her off she sank much to the relief of many involved who really did not want to deal with the floating junk pile.

I guess if we find a name painted on it and found a picture of it in the day we would settle at least some of this little mystery.

N

texdiveguy
08-23-2008, 21:49
Yes, that is one of the stories I posted way back in the lost thread. However, it should be noted that even the story above admits that the "dock" was itself a former tour boat on the lake and that we have a witness that recalls smoke stacks as I had found in another story I had previously posted in that lost thread. There seem to be several variations on this story. Could people be confusing the Table Rock tour boats with the Lady of the Lake paddle wheeler.

Depths to be expected on the General/Zebulon Pike are around 80 to 110 feet depending of course on lake pool level. This is not a dangerous dive as long as you do not enter the wreck but I would say it is a mildly advanced dive. A single 80 is really not enough to fully explore the wreck with a safety margin you should have given the depth, cold, marginal viz and possibility of entanglement with monofiliment.

I found a map I have with the Kimberling Bridge, it now appears the sunken roadway does not follow the path of the current bridge road approach but curves off toward a nearby inlet so it may still exist but would be to far to anchor on and dive the bridge.

I also see a sunken road bed in the abandoned city of Oasis I dove that I think I saw during my dive there. Now I see additionally had I followed that road it would have taken me to yet another sunken bridge but of course this one is much, much smaller. I wish I had known that. That would have been just to the north of the coordinates I posted for Oasis in another thread and the side scan pic I showed in this thread of the sunken city of Oasis.

N

N thanks for these updates on the several sites on TRL......this is of great help in planning.

?-- is the boat not penetratable from its physical/structural condition?*

*(WARNING: never enter an overhead structure without the approp. training/experience and gear).

mm2002
08-23-2008, 22:22
YA single 80 is really not enough to fully explore the wreck with a safety margin you should have given the depth, cold, marginal viz and possibility of entanglement with monofiliment.
N

Well of course I wouldn't even attempt that dive on a single 80. I always keep a spare tank in the truck.

Kidding of course, but that's a good point. With my experience, and what I dive with, I would be good for maybe 15 minutes at that depth. Hardly enough time to do any exploration. I would like to at least see it though.

Nemrod
08-23-2008, 22:40
I was just giving a warning for planning purposes, realizing you guys know better.

For the Zeb I did my dive with a LP 85 pumped to 3,000 psi and a 30cf pony and I had a deco bottle left at the base of the stump for me in case. I have also dove it with double 72s and double 50s with stage and once just an 80/30cf stage but knowing then I was just going to the stern and along the upper deck.

For the Kimberling Bridge you will need a pumped LP 100 or doubles with stage and deco bottles or doubles depending if your just going to stay along the top of the bridge structure and look for the bell or head down toward the road or deeper.

The sunken city of Oasis can be dived with a single pumped LP 85 or 100 and 30 cf pony or small doubles, again depending upon your plans to enter deco or not. Max depth I saw there was 105 feet if I recall. That obviously depends on pool.

Nitrox was used on the Zeb and Oasis on some of the dives, the Kimberling Bridge is just really to deep for Nitrox and air is questionable as has been discussed Trimix etc maybe required (for you narc weenies) especially if you intend to drop below 150 feet.

For Oasis, anchoring is the best choice. For the Zeb you can anchor on it or tie to the stump with the Pepsi bottle and follow the line at the base of the stump which may be the safest bet for an initial dive on her.

Oh, yes, the Zeb can be penetrated, I had no problems on previous dives but last Fall the viz sucked and I thought I saw something I did not remember seeing hanging inside. Being solo, I elected not to enter. I was dissappointed but the reason I am still alive is that I am not as fool hardy as I might sometimes sound, I actually do know what I am doing. The interior is not that large or confusing and most of the time you can see out. Just be aware that this is an old and decaying pile of metal and "stuff" and siliting is possible. An initial recon of the exterior and poking about before entering might be useful to get the lay of the thing. I would say it is about 90 feet long by 30 to 40 feet wide.

Do not enter into overhead without proper experience.

N

texdiveguy
08-24-2008, 07:01
I was just giving a warning for planning purposes, realizing you guys know better.

For the Zeb I did my dive with a LP 85 pumped to 3,000 psi and a 30cf pony and I had a deco bottle left at the base of the stump for me in case. I have also dove it with double 72s and double 50s with stage and once just an 80/30cf stage but knowing then I was just going to the stern and along the upper deck.

For the Kimberling Bridge you will need a pumped LP 100 or doubles with stage and deco bottles or doubles depending if your just going to stay along the top of the bridge structure and look for the bell or head down toward the road or deeper.

The sunken city of Oasis can be dived with a single pumped LP 85 or 100 and 30 cf pony or small doubles, again depending upon your plans to enter deco or not. Max depth I saw there was 105 feet if I recall. That obviously depends on pool.

Nitrox was used on the Zeb and Oasis on some of the dives, the Kimberling Bridge is just really to deep for Nitrox and air is questionable as has been discussed Trimix etc maybe required (for you narc weenies) especially if you intend to drop below 150 feet.

For Oasis, anchoring is the best choice. For the Zeb you can anchor on it or tie to the stump with the Pepsi bottle and follow the line at the base of the stump which may be the safest bet for an initial dive on her.

Oh, yes, the Zeb can be penetrated, I had no problems on previous dives but last Fall the viz sucked and I thought I saw something I did not remember seeing hanging inside. Being solo, I elected not to enter. I was dissappointed but the reason I am still alive is that I am not as fool hardy as I might sometimes sound, I actually do know what I am doing. The interior is not that large or confusing and most of the time you can see out. Just be aware that this is an old and decaying pile of metal and "stuff" and siliting is possible. An initial recon of the exterior and poking about before entering might be useful to get the lay of the thing. I would say it is about 90 feet long by 30 to 40 feet wide.

Do not enter into overhead without proper experience.

N

.......... :)

snagel
08-24-2008, 08:34
Nemrod and others,

If you posted GPS coords I probably stole them and put them in my "Dive SPot Log". This is way too big to post, so if you send me a PM with email address or send me an email I will send what I have snagel@midwestmuckdiving.com

Snagel

Nemrod
08-25-2008, 09:30
I found my GPS for Oasis from a post on scaryboard.

Quote myself:

"Update, I dove Oasis or what I think it to be. The GPS is:

36 degrees 32.384N
093 degrees 17.997W

I hit several objects on sonar in and about this mark. I have three marks, this is number two. I dove the area and found cultural remains and evidence this area was demolished and abandoned."

As I scanned these areas with my side scan I did find one large object which I could not locate during my dive, what it is still is a mystery. I now think it may be a small bridge that I see on a fishing map of the lake, supposedly:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/JRWJR/S00045.jpg

This is another set of coordinates taken from a post by cumming66 for Oasis:

36 32 19N
093 17 58W

The sonar scan I posted earlier in this thread, all kidding aside, is the lost town of Oasis, what remains of it. You have to remember, what passes for a town in those parts in previous times was a couple of sheds and broken down old cars, come to think of it, not much has changed. The coordinates I posted above are good for putting you in the area.

N

snagel
08-25-2008, 17:29
(This is what I put together awhile back from pulling information from all of you)
S.Nagel

Table Rock

House Foundation / Storm Cellar
36.5778852 / 93.5290
36.34.673 / 93.31.740
Shallow Cove between Baxtor Springs / Campbell’s Point
Goose Island
36.6257626 / 93.335053
36.37.546 / 93.20.104
Enchanted Forest
36.6194594 / 93.318944
36.37.168 / 93.19.137
70’ to bottom
(South End) N. 36* 37.938', W. 93* 19.128'
(North End) N. 36* 37.248', W. 93* 19.23
This site is a rock bluff about 1/2 mile north of the dam. Descend to 65-80 ft. and find yourself at the base of a grove of large moss-covered oak trees, some of which break the surface. The silhouettes of the trees against the ambient light above produces a beautiful visual effect. Lots of fish around 15 ft. along the ledge, which extends from shoreline about 20 ft. A must-see dive site!

Zeb Ferry Boat
36.6308481 / 93.33566
36.37.851 / 93.20.140
60’ – 100’
Houseboat
36.5901858 / 93.409774
36.35.411 / 93.24.586
Kimberling City
Shallow
Green Freon Tank attached as marker on surface
Peninsula / Walls / Shelves
36.6230965 / 93.466878
36.37.386 / 93.28.013
Gradually goes down deep 120’
Swimmers Swing
36.6376877 / 93.489822
36.38.261 / 93.29.389
Nice Dive – Watch for boat traffic due to swing
Breezy Point:
N 36* 33.208', W 93* 18.375'
Located 1 mile south of Table Rock Dam. A nice vertical drop-off with some shallow ledges and interesting rock overhangs. This is a popular spot for boaters and cliff jumpers, so, keep and eye out for lost stuff!
The Saddle:
N 36* 33.208', West of 93* 18.375'
Adjacent to Breezy Point. This underwater ridge starts at Breezy Point and continues east across the main channel at depths approaching 90 ft. The ridge is narrow in spots with visible drop-offs on either side. Topographically unique and visually stunning.
Spoonbill Bluff:
N 36* 34.800', W. 93* 18.885'
Named for the spoonbill or paddlefish, which inhabit the site. This site is located north of Point 2 on the west side of the White River channel. See flat rock "tables" and find the nice shallow rock slope with trees for good fish watching cover. Fish are spotted around 45ft. Max depth is 100 ft.
Zebulon Pike:
N 36.37.853 , W093.20.1481. 80’

N 36* 37.859', W. 93* 20.146'
Just around the bend from the Table Rock Dam. Boat wreck dive. This 90 ft. long, double-decker excursion boat lies in 75-95 ft. of water. Find the guideline 15 ft. near shore and follow it down to the boat. A fun dive for more experienced divers. Take a light along with you.
From Jakes Island, go almost straight North past the first cove with docks. After that just follow the shoreline almost to the mouth of the next cove. In about 15ft of water you will find a stump sort of by itself with several pop bottles tied off to it. At the base of this tree is a rope that will lead you to the Pike. The front railing was at around 65ft. The stern lies in ~80ft. Hope this helps. These may not be exact as I have only been there once but I think you can find it. If nothing else, just follow the West shoreline heading North and you should be able to find the stump with pop bottles tied to it. There were also a couple of orange buoys floating on the surface in the area.
Jakes Point Island:
N 36* 37.485', W. 93* 20.120'
Jakes Point Island is a multi level dive suitable for any level of diver. Max. dept is 130 feet. There is a 30 ft. cabin cruiser stuck in 35 feet of water directly under GPS coordinates. This site is known for very large Bass.
Duck Island:
N 36*35.075’, W. 93*19.295’
Duck Island right next to the Showboat. This is a shallow dive with large rock formations and very large schools of fish. Great for all levels of divers. Max dept recommended for 40 ft.
Oasis
N 36.32.018 , W 93.17.05780’

Coopa
10-16-2008, 23:47
Looks like our Masterdiver class will be visiting the Pike in a week or so. Ill try and get some pics of it and look for the nameplate on the side of the boat.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 08:18
Coopa, do you have any idea what the conditions at TR Lake are right now? I thought sonce you were planning a trip next week, you might be checking it out.

Coopa
10-17-2008, 16:32
all i know is when my gf went down to assist with an OW class last weekend, the water was 70F and the thermo had moved deeper than 60 feet. with 5-10 vis.

mm2002
10-17-2008, 21:23
Went to 97 ft last weekend, no thermocline at all. I think it was around 68F @ 97 ft. The vis down there is awesome, but it's a night dive for sure.

Dark Wolf
10-17-2008, 21:29
I think we are planning to make the trip to do this dive in the next month or two. Looking forward to it very much!!

DW

clayhwalker
10-22-2008, 18:46
Well it looks like December 6-7 is when im taking the boat to table rock. Dark Wolf and I will be there and maybe 1 other diver we dive with, that leaves 1 maybe 2 spots on the boat. We all dive doubles and AIR. If anyone is interested let me know. E-mail is the best way to get in touch with me.
clayhwalker@yahoo.com

texdiveguy
10-22-2008, 22:42
Well it looks like December 6-7 is when im taking the boat to table rock. Dark Wolf and I will be there and maybe 1 other diver we dive with, that leaves 1 maybe 2 spots on the boat. We all dive doubles and AIR. If anyone is interested let me know. E-mail is the best way to get in touch with me.
clayhwalker@yahoo.com

e-note sent.

shawnwill36
10-27-2008, 08:00
man that sounds like a cool dive. wish i coulda been there

Coopa
10-28-2008, 21:55
we dove the pike last Saturday. The Instructors for the class ran the line from the tree and popped a line with a sausage to the top railing. We dropped to about 65' to the top of the second deck. At this point i was the 10th person to hit the wreck that day and it was somewhat mucked up, but very dark. Lost light completely at 55'. With my level of comfort and only an 80 we stayed less then 10 minutes and only ran around the top railing before ascending. The stacks are just barrels welded end to end as mentioned before and one is laying over, didn't see the other. I was unable to see a nameplate but one of the instructors said the nose was too buried int he mud to see the corner you referenced. A few other students said they saw some nameplate that had been carved up by previous divers so no confirmation on my end.

Nemrod
10-31-2008, 10:51
One of my advantages is that I dive solo and therefore I don't have 10 people mucking things up ahead of me so I usually have pretty good viz compared to the typical "muck" divers. Still, it is dark down there. This "mud" you reference, is this new? I don't really recall "mud" in that location but maybe I am confused. I wish people would quit carving their stupid names in everything.

N

DivingCRNA
12-21-2008, 08:58
DW, Clay and I dove the bridge yesterday. DW and I found the bell right where it is described to be. I had not dove the site before, so DW and I buddied.

Clay was a great guy:smiley32:. He tied in the hook very close to the bell, but did not get to see it because he had racked up too much time tying in to look for it. We are grateful. Next time we do it I promise I will tie in. It is my turn.

That dive has been a diving goal of my for 5 years. I am so happy about doing it that I can't quit grinning. It was not my deepest or most difficult dive, but all the other deeper and harder dives made this one a joy.

Thanks DW and Clay!

Dark Wolf
12-30-2008, 12:48
That was a great dive. Glad that you were there, CRNA. We will do it again!!

DW

bane51031
01-18-2009, 19:09
Sounds like an interesting dive, out of my reach for now but, cool nonetheless....