PDA

View Full Version : Scubapro

j1b
08-17-2008, 22:08
Good evening all,

I'm very new to diving. Some of you saw my intro, I live in Arkansas and will end up mostly diving Beaver Lake and the Carribean on vacation.

Couple of quick question, some of which have been hashed out in these forums already.

First, Scubapro. I'd love to hear the pros and cons of the company. I am a name brand type of guy so that appeals to me but I want the honest facts in terms of if the product is worth it. I know they only sell through LDS's so I know that eliminates the online world - curious for thoughts on that as well.

Speaking of LDS. There's a deal down there now I would be interested in knowing if it's a good deal or if my money could be better spent. It's all scubapro product. The regulator is MK25/S600. The BC system is their Glide Plus. I can't remember on the octopus, it was either the R295 or R395. I know that doesn't help much . . .

The SPG I don't remember and can't find online. It's not a Uwatec (by Scubapro). It was a good SPG with 3 guages, Pressure, depth and a compass.

So all of this: BC, Reg, Octo, and console for $1400.

That felt like a good deal to me. They had plenty of cheaper packages, but this one felt like I was getting decent things for the $$$. Not being able to buy most of it online though had me wondering if this really is a good deal. And, to be honest, are there comparable deals out there in different brands that would be cheaper?

I still have a dive computer and wet suit to buy, along with a dive knife and light and whatever other accessories come along with. And the $200 bag I'll need to buy in order to travel with this stuff.

I'm willing to spend the money if it's a good deal. But would appreciate some counsel before spending the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Daz
08-17-2008, 22:51
Good evening all,

I'm very new to diving. Some of you saw my intro, I live in Arkansas and will end up mostly diving Beaver Lake and the Carribean on vacation.

Couple of quick question, some of which have been hashed out in these forums already.

First, Scubapro. I'd love to hear the pros and cons of the company. I am a name brand type of guy so that appeals to me but I want the honest facts in terms of if the product is worth it. I know they only sell through LDS's so I know that eliminates the online world - curious for thoughts on that as well.

Speaking of LDS. There's a deal down there now I would be interested in knowing if it's a good deal or if my money could be better spent. It's all scubapro product. The regulator is MK25/S600. The BC system is their Glide Plus. I can't remember on the octopus, it was either the R295 or R395. I know that doesn't help much . . .

The SPG I don't remember and can't find online. It's not a Uwatec (by Scubapro). It was a good SPG with 3 guages, Pressure, depth and a compass.

So all of this: BC, Reg, Octo, and console for $1400.

That felt like a good deal to me. They had plenty of cheaper packages, but this one felt like I was getting decent things for the $$$. Not being able to buy most of it online though had me wondering if this really is a good deal. And, to be honest, are there comparable deals out there in different brands that would be cheaper?

I still have a dive computer and wet suit to buy, along with a dive knife and light and whatever other accessories come along with. And the $200 bag I'll need to buy in order to travel with this stuff.

I'm willing to spend the money if it's a good deal. But would appreciate some counsel before spending the bank.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Hi Jack - Welcome.

First off, IMO, ScubaPro makes some quality gear (I really like their regs and Uwatec computers). Some may not like it, and many don't like their "face to face purchases only" policy, but most will agree they do make good stuff. That said, you can find gear that is just as good (or even better in some cases) for less $$$.

The package you list for $1400 doesn't seem to be too bad of a deal (for ScubaPro gear) when you look at the MSRP pricing. Mk25/S600 list for $650ish, but can be bought graymarket for $525 (and no sales tax, but also no ScubaPro parts-for-life warranty). The R-295 lists for $157 and graymarkets for $125 (add about $25 for the R-395). I'm not familiar with the Glide Plus pricing, but a high end/quality BC (or a BP/W) can be had for $500. A three gauge console would run anywhere from $100-$300 without a computer. Depending on which exact models are in the package, at this point it doesn't look like you're getting much of a discount off of retail to me.

Yes, you'd be getting good stuff, but not at the best price. I think you can do better. Why not give the kind folks a ScubaToys a call and see what they can put together for you? I'm sure it'll be at least comparable and probably save you some cash.

Also a hint - if you're planning on getting a computer in the near future, think about buying it now and avoid paying for something now (console/guages) that you won't need in a year - or at least buy a console that can be easily upgraded to a computer you like.

Last thing - there's absolutlely no reason to buy a $200 gear bag. Get an inexpensive duffel (that doesn't scream "EXPENSIVE DIVE GEAR INSIDE - STEAL ME!!!) and put the difference toward your computer.

Just my opinion - but you asked...

hooligan
08-17-2008, 23:16
I agree with Daz. It's not a great price, but it is kind of hard to find a "great price" on ScubaPro equipment from an authorized dealer. Scubatoys will make you a package that fits your needs and is a good deal. One package that ST sells that seems pretty simliar to the ScubaPro package you are looking at is Everything is Special Zeagle and Tusa Package, Packages-BC and Reg Packages, Zeagle, Everything is Special Zeagle and Tusa Package (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleTusaPack). Just remember, if you want specific items, just call them and they will put a package together for you. Don't forget that you can also get 10% off since you are a forum member. You might come out even more ahead if you consider sales tax from your LDS. On the other hand, if your LDS can throw in some perks like free training, air fills, or some other "value added" service, it might be worth the higher price for the scubapro package. I also second the idea of getting your computer first. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy a console only to replace it with a compter a few months later.

snagel
08-18-2008, 05:00
I would have to agree witht he above. My initial setup gear was Genesis and was a little less than your quote with a computer. If you can't afford the computer right now, make sure your console is able to be upgraded - pop out and pop in your computer. Another option which you might explore is if your future computer will be a wrist mount, no issue with your console.

Snagel

andyrent
08-18-2008, 12:08
I've had really good luck with Scubapro regulators. My wife and I dive with a Scubapro 1st, primary, and Octo. Our BCD's, gauges, and wetsuits are other brands and were purchased for comfort, fit, and price. I already think I will be upgrading in the future to a Zeagle or BP/W setup as I get more into the sport.

I've been told that Scubapro, Aqualung, etc are easier to have serviced in other areas of the world if you have an issue. I was told this by an LDS owner. She wasn't trying to "sell," as I already had the regs and was only having them serviced.

I agree with Daz about the dive bag. I went to Academy and bought a durable duffle bag. It fits 2 sets of fins, snorkels, boots, masks, regs, wetsuits, lead, slates and some other stuff. We spent $30-35 on the bag. It has been to the Caymans and Cozumel. Next week it will fly to Palm Beach.

Good luck.

caroln
08-18-2008, 12:21
My scubapro MK25/S600 with the R395 is the only piece of gear from my initial 'total gear package' that I still have and consider worth owning. I've long since sold the bcd and console. Since you're not getting a discount by buying everything together, I'd recommend buying those regs--I can't see you ever regretting it, and seeing if you can try out various bcd's and even try using a console setup a few times to be sure these pieces of the package are actually what you'll want long term.

bottomdweller
08-18-2008, 17:09
I would check with ST on one of the packages they have.
They will service all the gear they sell, & living in NW Arkansas It should only take 2 days each way for shipping at the most. (Ship Monday Arrive Wednesday of course UPS does not count weekends keep that in mind) So when you send your gear in for service it's two weeks tops and your gear is back to you ready to get wet again.
My LDS takes that long to service anyway.

Plan it around a 2 week period you won't be diving, and if there is no such period, you should buy the Caribbean Value Package that should get you through the 2 weeks & now you have 2 sets of gear for the same price as the Scuba Pro Gear from your LDS.

Splitlip
08-18-2008, 17:38
I have had a number of Scubapro regs. Hundreds of dives on each and NEVER a problem.
Yes, they have a strong network of dealers and service centers world wide because their policies are designed to keep their local shops in business (IMO).
I have been using a MK25 S600 for over 7 years now I think. It is one the very top performers out there.
A little pricey, but as Caroln said, once you own it you will have no need to upgrade and no desire to sell it.

Navy OnStar
08-18-2008, 18:41
I agree with the above about the reliability and quality of the scubapro regs. I have 2 MK25/S600s and they breathe great. Just know that the MK25 is not an environmentally sealed reg. I did have a little problem with one reg after some serious muck diving. (sitting on the bottom of a river in 18 inches of silt with 0 viz) It worked flawlessly during the dive but did have a loud high pitched whine the next time I went to dive it. It was up for yearly service anyway so I took it in and had the service done. I haven't dove it since then as I just got it back on friday.

Splitlip
08-18-2008, 18:58
Good point. Mk25 is a piston.
I probably should have fired the warning shot. I don't know what "Beaver Lake" is or what kind of conditions the OP would encounter there. Ther is always a Mk17 :).

How you guys fairing with the storm? Looks like we will get the worst of it now, right front quadrant and all. The local talkng heads are having a ball showing canned footage from major storms. Getting people all fired up and scared. Standing around in their slickers waiting for something.

SlvrDragon50
08-18-2008, 19:09
Bah.. Fay is a weakling.. I think its stupid to cancel school...

Anyways... You may want to looking into the Aeris Atmos Pro. Good reg, cheap price.

Another thing to consider is the price of servicing, the free parts for life only applies if you are going to service it every year which builds up.

Splitlip
08-18-2008, 19:17
Bah.. Fay is a weakling.. I think its stupid to cancel school...

Anyways... You may want to looking into the Aeris Atmos Pro. Good reg, cheap price.

Another thing to consider is the price of servicing, the free parts for life only applies if you are going to service it every year which builds up.

Yup (on the school stuff too), I took advantage of the free parts for life. To me it is worth it.
Further, authorised Scubapro dealers can only discount 10 %. The shops I deal with here have sold me my Scubapro gear for less than the grey market guys (Leisurepro). They sweeten the deal with incentives. Free fills, free trips, free accessories like spring straps.

RoyN
08-19-2008, 18:07
The scubapro regulators I have used is very excellent. I have never had a single problem with them at all. Only had the regulator free flow one time but that was it. It was so good I even got a second first stage so that I could began my path as a tech diver. And with the release of the G250v, that thing just looks more beautiful, but what is perfect is, it works just great!

The dive computers though I didn't had much luck with them as my smartcom would break down where I had to return it to the shop. I also borrowed my instructor's wrist dive computer and the computer crashed on me and elimated my tank readings too but good thing I had an SPG. Some people had sucess with them but I'm just one person who just happen to experiences either a bad model or a gremlin is messing up my computer.

Splitlip
08-19-2008, 19:47
Yeah. I have heard some negatives about Uwatec. I have a Uwatec computer. So far no issues.

j1b
08-19-2008, 20:14
thx all. No decisions yet - I'm still shopping. I appreciate the insights.

Jack

RMur
08-20-2008, 07:46
I purchased a MKVII with two R190 second stages in 1976.

Although the MKVII has been upgraded to a MK25 the second stages are still going strong. Plus the chrome looks cool :smiley2:

If I ever decide to upgrade the seconds - I'd be looking at the G250V. Basically the same second stage.