PDA

View Full Version : Local Visibility Beaver Lake Arkansas

j1b
08-17-2008, 22:15
I'm new to diving. Last weekend I got my OW card.

I dive Beaver Lake in NW arkansas.

The visibility last weekend was pretty rough. 6-8 feet at most. I've heard it's cleared up to 12'. I'm thinking about doing the AOW next weekend so we'll see (or won't see I guess)

I'm just curious, is this year a typical year for the lakes around here? Feels like vis is very poor. I'm hearing a standard year is 20-30'. That would give me a much higher comfort level with diving more regularly. As it is now the lakes would simply be a means to blow bubbles and the fun diving would be in the carribean. Yeah that works, but I'd like to believe I could enjoy some of the diving locally.

Any of you locals that have been diving this year and in years past I'd appreciate understanding how this year differs from years past.

Two more things: We shore dove from only one spot. Are there multiple decent shore dive spots on Beaver? We dove up by the Dam

And last - when you all first started diving how did you find buddies? I'm caught in a quandry. I need equipment to dive. But I need a buddy to dive. No buddy and I can't dive which then doesn't justify the equipment. But no equipment and I can't really dive either. Either way, I know I can buy the equipment. The buddy thing seems harder to find.

Thanks

jack

snagel
08-18-2008, 05:09
I haven't dove Beaver, but pretty much every other lake in the midwest. This year is a very odd year due to all the rain and flooding in the earlier spring. Currently, things are starting to clear up and in fact Table Rock is starting to come back fairly nice. Don't give up there is good diving in the midwest, this year is not typical.

Buy the equipment, buddies will come. I know it sounds odd right now but once you've spent some time on the forums and in the dive shops you will meet people and the buddy issue will not be an issue. There are a lot of great midwest divers who will buddy up with you. Once you get familiar with everybody and put yourself out there, you will have many opportunities to dive.

Let me also offer a shameful plug for my website Untitled Document (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) Here you can keep up on the conditions of the various dive locations. If you have dove Beaver recently, we would love an update on the conditions.

Snagel

Barberman
08-18-2008, 12:00
I dove Beaver this weekend and the viz wans't very good. I would say 10 ft at best. To answer the op's question, the viz this year is a lot worse than I have seen over the last two years. Last year we could go down to 70-80 ft and have no need for any lights as you could still see great. This year if you go much deeper than 40 ft it starts getting dark. It has been a frustrating year diving, but I'm hoping that it will start to improve soon. I recently got my dry suit cert so maybe it will be better this winter for some diving.

Mtrewyn
08-18-2008, 18:45
This year the vis Suc%s! Last year the vis at beaver was REAL GOOD!

I was on the bottom in about 30 ft and when I looked up I could clearly see the waves on the surface.

We has a a$$ load of rain this spring, most of the lakes were at some point going OVER the dams, than once they settled down, they could not drain the lakes for fear of flooding down stream, than it got HOT and SUNNY, so the flood waters started to grow alga like mad, and the vis got worse, they are finally starting to clear some, I'm hoping to get a week or two in the last part of Sep. early Oct. of diving before I have to hang it up for the winter.

snagel
08-18-2008, 19:13
"hang it up for the winter" don't utter them words....say it ain't so...winter is around the corner? With such a long winter last year and cool rainy spring....I'm not ready. Oh well....I'm diving dry now so hopefully the dive season is extended.

Snagel

Mtrewyn
08-18-2008, 21:33
I still don't have the $$$ for a dry suit I'm hoping next spring.:smiley20: till then water temps less than 65 or so and I'm done:smiley21::smiley13:

rosy8235
08-22-2008, 05:13
Of all the lakes on the legendary White River, Beaver Lake may be the last to be built, but this majestic body of water literally looks down upon the other lakes in the area. Nestled high in the Ozark Mountains at an elevation of 1,120 feet above sea level, this lake is positioned at the birthplace of the lake-spawning White River where streams and springs flow from the hills above and below. Total surface area is 28,370 acres with 487 miles of shoreline highlighted by glorious limestone.
-------------------------------------------------
rosy
Arkansas Drug Addiction (http://www.drugaddiction.net/arkansas)

Ohmdiver
01-12-2010, 10:08
I get that I am openning sleeping thread but....

I may be moving to that area soon, or someday.... Would like to know how this past season was like on the lake and any other local dive sites...

:smilie40:

Noob
01-12-2010, 11:19
Its been a couple years since I've been there but last time i was there it was gin clear. From the surface fishing I could see about 20ft to the bottom. Well thats what the depth finder said:smilie40:

Lakes in MO/AR are hit and miss depending on rain.

Ohmdiver
01-12-2010, 11:27
sounds like the Finger Lakes here in New York....

wheelman
01-12-2010, 12:34

I may be moving to that area soon, or someday.... Would like to know how this past season was like on the lake and any other local dive sites...

This year wasn't the best for viz, but it is lake diving. I depends on the some factors like rain, (we had alot this spring), if they are releasing water, etc. As a rule the closer to the dam the better. Normally, it is tolerable and I enjoy the 10' as well as the 30' because it's still diving in the end. On the whole the viz on the white river lakes (Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals) is pretty decent. I usually find winter the best time, no algae, no boats, just cold but I dive with a dry suit.

snagel
01-13-2010, 03:47

Checkout Midwestmuckdiving (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) for an idea of the midwest dive conditions over the last year.

Snagel

fire diver
01-13-2010, 08:46
Beaver had some amazing vis this past spring, but of course it dropped right before I got out there. Great vis can be had during the right times of year, and for a lake, the vis us usually very good. It's norm is about 20 IIRC.

Ohmdiver
01-13-2010, 20:40

This year wasn't the best for viz, but it is lake diving. I depends on the some factors like rain, (we had alot this spring), if they are releasing water, etc. As a rule the closer to the dam the better. Normally, it is tolerable and I enjoy the 10' as well as the 30' because it's still diving in the end. On the whole the viz on the white river lakes (Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals) is pretty decent. I usually find winter the best time, no algae, no boats, just cold but I dive with a dry suit.

Sound like the diving I do now....Thanks

Ohmdiver
01-13-2010, 20:47

Checkout Midwestmuckdiving (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) for an idea of the midwest dive conditions over the last year.

Snagel

cool site...Thanks...

LeeParrish
02-17-2010, 13:38

This past year was really good. Beaver lake was higher than normal, and they didn't draw it down early or quickly so it didn't pull any muck in. I've only been diving there a year, but was told that last year was some of the best people had seen there in years. We had 20 to 30+ and even better in some areas for a good part of the year. I didn't get back out there after June, but the Spring last year was very good.

Mtrewyn
02-20-2010, 11:18
Last time I was there, was in Sep. and around the "bluffs" near the dam was good! 15 or 20 feet of vis, I was impressed.

Bigg_Budd
02-20-2010, 11:37
30+ viz at the bluffs last memorial day. viz was 20+ on the north side for the bulk of the summer. i love this damn lake. looking forward to diving her again come spring.