PDA

View Full Version : Starting Rescue September 8th

violakat03
08-18-2008, 06:15
Just wanted to say that I'm excited to be taking the next step towards professional certifications!

I've taken OW and AOW at a local community college, I'll be finishing out their offered classes with Rescue during fall quarter. It's paid for by federal grants, gives me 2 credit hours of classes and keeps my week from being a total bore.

After this, it's on to SSI DiveCon and the start of my instructing career!

I really need to get out and dive more. I've got to do my two checkout dives for the navigation specialty and 9 more dives to complete my AOW cert. I'd really like to have that before summer ends, so I'm going to try and get up to Gilboa and Natural Springs at least 2 or 3 times in the next couple months.

Just a little over a hundred posts left until I can get my GC for use towards my own reg!

Sansho
08-18-2008, 06:23
Great! Every diver should take a rescue class. Enjoy it!

BoomerNJ
08-18-2008, 06:32
I am half way through my AOW cert & can't wait to start Rescue. I am hoping to get it done this year & start getting in shape for DM next year. I desperately need to get more diving in. I'd like to start averaging closer to 60 - 80 dives a year, but it's hard when all of my local buddies are busy and/or working weekends...

Vercingetorix
08-18-2008, 07:38
I really need to get out and dive more. I've got to do my two checkout dives for the navigation specialty and 9 more dives to complete my AOW cert.11 dives for AOW!?!?!?!!? Holy moly!!!

NAUI AOW is six dives: Nav, Deep, Night, plus 3 others. Completed in a weekend.

Catt99
08-18-2008, 20:48
I really need to get out and dive more. I've got to do my two checkout dives for the navigation specialty and 9 more dives to complete my AOW cert.11 dives for AOW!?!?!?!!? Holy moly!!!

I suspect violakat is working towards an aggregate minimum number of dives to meet the AOW req -- not that 11 specific training dives are required.

violakat03
08-25-2008, 00:15

I suspect violakat is working towards an aggregate minimum number of dives to meet the AOW req -- not that 11 specific training dives are required.

Correct. SSI requires 24 cumulative dives to complete AOW, I currently sit at 13 logged, including the 4 original OW checkouts. For the specialties, there must be 2 dives for each, though some, like Nitrox and equipment, can be combined with other things. I did 3 specialties in 5 dives.

Vercingetorix
08-25-2008, 07:10
Correct. SSI requires 24 cumulative dives to complete AOW, ....NAUI has no requirement such as that. When I completed AOW, I had a total of 11 open water dives: 5 for OW and 6 for AOW. I find the differences between agencies interesting. Not better or worse, just interesting.

Keep us apprised of your progress.

violakat03
08-28-2008, 04:39
Yeah, I think SSI is the only one with a minimum number of overall dives for AOW. Master Diver requires 50 + AOW + rescue. I think it's a good idea, as more experience never hurts and that way it's sort of a guarantee that AOW cert means you've got some unsupervised dive experience.

A little less than 2 weeks to go, can't wait to get back into training mode. Unfortunately none of my dive buddies from last quarter are coming back for this quarter so I'm probably going to end up paired with that creepy dude. You know the one, every class has one ... ours for some reason thought he was buddies with our group of 5 that switched buddies around each time. The unlucky single got stuck with him! :p

Vercingetorix
08-28-2008, 07:27
so I'm probably going to end up paired with that creepy dude. You know the one, every class has one ... I dunno. I couldn't spot one in any of my classes.

Uh, does that mean that I'm...:smiley36:

russp
08-28-2008, 08:59
Yeah, I think SSI is the only one with a minimum number of overall dives for AOW. Master Diver requires 50 + AOW + rescue. I think it's a good idea, as more experience never hurts and that way it's sort of a guarantee that AOW cert means you've got some unsupervised dive experience.

A little less than 2 weeks to go, can't wait to get back into training mode. Unfortunately none of my dive buddies from last quarter are coming back for this quarter so I'm probably going to end up paired with that creepy dude. You know the one, every class has one ... ours for some reason thought he was buddies with our group of 5 that switched buddies around each time. The unlucky single got stuck with him! :p

Boy there is a big difference in required dives between agencies. I'm looking at starting NAUI's master diver course now that I've completed advanced. The way NAUI is structured, you can finish master with just 17 dives (5 for OW, 6 for AOW and 6 for master) if I'm reading the guidelines correctly.

megzuwo
08-28-2008, 09:07
I forget how lucky I am to be stationed where I am for the military! I pretty much spend my evenings and weekends diving, and in a matter of one month have gotten certified, knocked out AOW and, as soon as rescue is offered again, am signed up and will then move onto dive master training. Apart from the fact that every pay check goes right to my LDS, it's too easy to get all of your certs here within a year.

Warren
09-04-2008, 15:31
Enjoy the course!

I just finished it last night - It was full of good information and skills.

huvrr
09-04-2008, 20:19
so I'm probably going to end up paired with that creepy dude. You know the one, every class has one ... ours for some reason thought he was buddies with our group of 5 that switched buddies around each time. The unlucky single got stuck with him! :p[/quote]

so I'm probably going to end up paired with that creepy dude. You know the one, every class has one ... I dunno. I couldn't spot one in any of my classes.

Uh, does that mean that I'm...:smiley36:
Is it ST Larry or Joe that has a funny saying about being thankful that there is that "special person" in every group so it doesn't end up being you.

mtnplayva
09-05-2008, 13:44
Does anyone know what the pre-reqs are for PADI's Rescue? I have OW, AOW with 16 logged dives. I was reading something the other day that said SSI has a bunch of tests prior to the course (swimming distance/timed, hauling 10 lbs from bottom of pool, etc). But I can't find anything like that for PADI.

huvrr
09-05-2008, 21:02
Thought I just posted this but I don't see it so here goes. You need to be at least 12 years old and have AOW and have completed CPR and First Aid within the previous 24 months. I don't think PADI has a dive minumum.