PDA

View Full Version : What was the best dive you did?

porsche060
08-12-2007, 12:42
Was there some memorable dive you did? Was it your first dive after checkouts? Was it at an exotic location? Perhaps it was one where you swam near dolphins or sharks?

Curious if anyone had one dive or a set of them that stood out?

Zenagirl
08-12-2007, 17:19
Every dive is a "Best" dive. :D Most recent extra cool dive was dropping in on a Hammerhead that was cruising under the boat!! :D :D :D

cummings66
08-12-2007, 18:44
A wall dive at Beaver Lake.

plot
08-12-2007, 21:02

:smiley36: ... sadly, that's my best dive so far too.

hopefully that changes in a few weeks. :)

RECDiver
08-12-2007, 21:41
I have too many to mention a particular one. However, any dive at Bloody Bay Wall at Little Cayman is pretty nice.

torrey
08-12-2007, 22:04
My first day of blue-water diving in Cozumel - saw several turtles and got up close to a sleeping nurse shark for a picture before the DM woke it up. That's when I really started loving this hobby.

troyds
08-14-2007, 15:11
Shark's Reef off the cost of Jamaica. It was a night dive. Got to see a lot of lobsters and an octopus. Best part was turning off all of the lights and fanning our hands really fast in the water. That was a neat exp.

unclepooty
08-14-2007, 15:42
Santa Rosa Wall, Cozumel. First blue water dive. Free swimming moray looked as big as we were, and black tip swam below us. Life changing to be quite honest.:smiley20:

Xspect
08-14-2007, 20:24
I Have 2...

Belize !!!!

Destin about a month ago. We saw a 22 foot whale shark on the way back from a wreck dive. The captain let us stop a swim with that monster who was just feeding and not paying us any attention.

Was there some memorable dive you did? Was it your first dive after checkouts? Was it at an exotic location? Perhaps it was one where you swam near dolphins or sharks?

Curious if anyone had one dive or a set of them that stood out?

WV Diver
08-14-2007, 20:28
If I have to pick one it can only be the "Town Pier" night dive in Bonaire. Other memorables were the Hilma Hooker, and the City of Washington where I first met Brusier.

ScubaCrash
08-15-2007, 01:34
Definately has to be my second night dive, which was the Superior Producer in Curacao. We swam out from shore to the bouy, dropped feet down into the black, only thing you could see was 6 beams of light cutting the darkness until the wheelhouse materialized out of the darkness. Coming back we kept looking around for another group of divers because we kept getting a stobe effect in the water. When we surfaced we realized it was lightning from a thunderstorm a couple miles offshore, so we all just lazily floated in watching the light show the clouds were putting on.

Skinsfan1311
08-15-2007, 10:40
Snapper Hole.....Grand Cayman....

ertechsg
08-16-2007, 15:24
Santa rosa wall Coz riding along the wall looking down into dark blue deep water awsome dive

ScaredSilly
08-16-2007, 15:35
Most recent would have to be from Belize where I turned around and had a whale shark swim by me.

From last year I would say two dives stand out. Both in Truk Lagoon. Shark Island which is a cleaning station. I just sat in the sand watching reef sharks come in for a quick cleaning. Way too cool.

The other would a deep dive on the San Fransisco Maru which is a deep (deco) dive with cool tanks still on the deck.

Cheddarchick
08-16-2007, 17:13
Port Marie in Curacao, simply a great dive......
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m48/cheddarchick/Curacao/Flounder31.jpg
flounder in 6 feet of water

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 20:24
The Benwood in Key Largo (Jan 2006) That was a great dive! Not too deep not too shallow, great wreck, lots of life on it!

I'll always rememeber that one!

Buoyant1
08-16-2007, 20:25
Peacock Flouder? I've seen them..they more pretty quick when you're chasing them for a photo! hahaha!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m48/cheddarchick/Curacao/Flounder31.jpg
flounder in 6 feet of water

cmufieldhockey8
08-20-2007, 06:54
2 hour cave dive in Hole in the Wall. GORGEOUS!

Centerius
08-20-2007, 07:19
Every dive since my last OW checkout dives have been amazing. Since then I've gotten really comfortable in my diving abilities and it makes it much more enjoyable.

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 07:34
It would be a tie between the Tak Mahal cenote dive in Mexico or The Blue Corner (aka...the Corner) in Palau. Both are stunning in their own right.

torrey
08-20-2007, 09:03
Santa rosa wall Coz riding along the wall looking down into dark blue deep water awsome dive

See, that was either my 2nd or 3rd blue-water dive ever, and it freaked me out a little. I kept thinking..."what if I drifted off into the dark and nobody saw me". It seems silly now, but there's always a tiny fear of the unknown.

ScubaCrash
08-20-2007, 11:03

Cheddarchick, Any of my Porto marie dives could qualify as my second favorite..I LOVED that place!

mwhities
08-20-2007, 11:12
Cozumel - two dives. loved it.

Michael

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 11:15

See, that was either my 2nd or 3rd blue-water dive ever, and it freaked me out a little. I kept thinking..."what if I drifted off into the dark and nobody saw me". It seems silly now, but there's always a tiny fear of the unknown.

yea, it does at first. But then it becomes cool because you knowthat you are being watched.

Hollywood703
08-22-2007, 17:27
cabo san lucas....diving off pelican rock......2 amazing dives in water temps in the upper 80's even at 60 feet. Had a very large Seal enter the water and swim along side me for several minutes. also on the same dive was a sunken wreck in about 40 ft. Best warm weather dive....Best Cold water dive was Wreck Diving the Tobermory...

BobbyWombat
08-23-2007, 12:29
Eilat, Israel. Entrance to the shore dive was to walk through the middle of a beach side bar. Classic.

Oh, the dive was great too.

CaribbeanDiver
08-25-2007, 09:45
It was a very shallow dive in the Bahamas. A wreck called the Sabona. She lies in about 15 feet of water and is chocked full of life. Large, large schools of latin and white grunts, rays, puffers, octopuses, trunk fish, squirrel fish, queen ocean triggers. The Sabona was used for target practice in WWII so the ship and surrounding area is cluttered with bombs shells and bullets. (dummy bombs of course). They are pretty much all grown into the coral and cant be removed but are neat to look at.
One guy on our boat brought up a bomb and I wondered how he would get through customs with that baby in his carry on.

Defman
08-25-2007, 15:07
I'll offer up a "set" of dives I really loved.

A couple of afternoon dives a few years ago in Cozumel. Island was slow and it was just me and a DM for like 4 of the 7 days I was there. Just awesome, slow, casual dives.

Buc Chick
08-26-2007, 00:36
Oil Slick Leap--Bonaire. Loved the entry--just leap off the ledge and the reef is right there. (After I overcame the fear of diving off the ledge.)

Jaymeany
08-26-2007, 05:51
Since I haven't done a dive in the islands yet all I got is lake stuff under my belt. We decided to do a wreck that was pretty broken down because it was just a wooden mailboat. No one had ever done it before but we knew about where it was. We dropped anchor descended and took a 130 heading I believe down to 92 feet thinking we would swim right across it (this was a diagonal across the slope of the bottom. nothing but it was the deepest I had gone. So we take the reciprocal heading and hit the line dead on. perfect nav! We look straight ahead and see a shadow in the water. about 5 kick cycles away is the wreck. we had enough air and hadn't hit a NDL so we still got to play on the wreck which was cool.

Rascal1933
08-26-2007, 19:00
Mmmmm a toss up between West Palm Beach,Fl and West Coast of Oahu,Hawaii.

O.K. if I had to pick just 1 > Would have to go with:
West Coast of Oahu Dives.

Chocoholic
10-27-2007, 15:39
Best dive ever... after certifying in cold, cold Alaskan waters I went to Thailand. The very first time in warm, tropical water and all those cool things to look at... it was a religous experience... I still remember that vividly and it was a long time ago. I may not remember what I did yesterday but I totally remember that dive.

Chocoholic
10-27-2007, 15:40
2nd best dive was in Cabo. A little sea lion girl swam right up from my fins to my face and stared into my mask. so cool.

dludwig
10-27-2007, 17:15
Disney's DiveQuest was quite a dive:smiley32:

chace_nicole
10-27-2007, 17:37
I don't have a lot of dives to compare from but, my favorite so far was my discovery scuba dive in Cozumel because I will never forget that feeling I got the first time I saw the beauty underwater...warm fuzzies now :)

gibson1525
10-27-2007, 19:18

just be glad is wasn't table rock, talk about not worth diving.

Daved
10-27-2007, 19:45
hmmm--house reef at Pelican Reef house in Bon. I must have dove it a 100 times. Still amazing. AKA Something Special

All the Coral Sea dives, Ribbon reef, --they are all incredible!

divingmedic
10-27-2007, 21:33
The Coral Spawning trip in August of 2004. To see the coral spawn and all the critters that come out for it was awesome. The next day we saw a whale shark.

Cojrock
10-27-2007, 23:43
My favorite dive was a night dive on the SS Coolidge in Santo-Vanuatu. I must say that swimming(mostly just pulling myself along ladders) around inside a cargo hold without lights on watching the literally millions of flashlight fish swimming around in rivers was simply amazing. It was a rare thing to be able to do on a dive, just sit down for 10 mins and let your eyes adjust to the dark. And to top it off we spent a good 10 mins feeding the lion fish at the safety stop reef... I saw a totally black one that looked choice so i fed it lots. Theres a bit of a technique to feeding lion fish that i learnt that dive.

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 10:15
My most memorable dive was during the '80's on "The Betsy," one of Cornwallis' ships intentionally scuttled during the American Revolution. There was a cofferdam built around it, allowing archeologists to filter water from the York River. Diving on it, the day before the cofferdam was collapsed on it and the site refilled with silt, was truely a memorable event.