PDA

View Full Version : How about this carryon?

Ron G.
08-18-2008, 21:06
Well, I got an inexpensive rolling duffel to check (about $30 from BJ's Wholesale).

Now I'm trying to figure out what to carry on. (My coming trip to Cozumel will be my first with my own gear.)

At first, I was thinking I didn't want a rolling bag to carry on. (Frankly, it's partially because I don't want to be one of those guys lugging on board a big, heavy, unwieldy bag....struggling down the aisle, bumping into folks.) I was thinking a good sized backpack was the answer. Softer. Easier to handle (strapped to my back).

As I've thought about it, though, this bag could get relatively heavy and a pain to lug around (especially for this nearly 60-year old).

So, now I'm thinking about a rolling carry on like this one from Walmart"

Walmart.com: Jeep 21" Expandable Upright Luggage: Luggage (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8033765)

Any thoughts why this might be a good or bad idea? Or, another suggestion?

Thx.

Ron

gregor
08-18-2008, 21:12
with careful packing i've been able to fit all of my essential dive gear (bc,regs,mask,wetsuit,booties,computer,camera, bathing suit, and change of clothes) into a carryon that is pretty much at the limit for airline rules. It's heavy as can be (but i dive a stainless backplate). my brother has a carryon that's a little bit longer and can fit his fins as well (scubapro jetfins). after having my luggage "misplaced" on the way to tropical destinations i don't want to take any chances.

Just make it look like your carryon is light and no one will ever question it. Put everything you don't want to be without in that carryon. I would rather buy clothes at a tropical locale than have to rent garbage equipment, so my dive gear goes in the carryon first, and then clothes get squeezed in the extra spaces. Rollers are much easier pack than backpacks because they keep their shape easier, and seem easier to "stuff" and use all the available space.

Diver Kat
08-18-2008, 23:06
Only drawback I see is the bag weighs 10 lbs - before you put anything in it!

greenmoray
08-19-2008, 00:46
It looks great for $30. I usually stuff in the carry-on my regulator, computer, camera housing, battery charger, toiletries and a set of of clothing good for one day. If there's room try to keep the mask in it too.

oddbod
08-19-2008, 04:58
Careful where you travel Down Under in our part of the world carryon is limited in size and weight, 23 cm in depth, 34 cm in height and 48 cm in length and weight 7 kgs which is about halve the size of yours.