PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Solo Diving

deepdiver47
08-12-2007, 13:58
I know that this may start off as a dumb question. But what would you consider is a solo diver?

Most people would think that it is someone who enters the water by themselves. I consider myself a solo diver because I dive during my business trips overseas where I always go alone. I go to a resort and will dive with a guide or with a couple of people and a guide but no one is assigned an insta-buddy. I consider and insta-buddy to be diving solo.

So, what do you think a solo diver is?

thesmoothdome
08-12-2007, 14:26
I know that this may start off as a dumb question. But what would you consider is a solo diver?

Most people would think that it is someone who enters the water by themselves. I consider myself a solo diver because I dive during my business trips overseas where I always go alone. I go to a resort and will dive with a guide or with a couple of people and a guide but no one is assigned an insta-buddy. I consider and insta-buddy to be diving solo.

I've insta-buddied on a lot of occassions. I tend to pay attention to my buddy more when I'm paired with someone I don't know, just because I don't know what to expect from them, but since I know where they are at all times, I know where my air source is if I encounter a problem.

I consider solo diving to be when I enter the water without any buddy and don't have a group or don't plan on staying with one. If I don't have someone to immediately help me with a problem, I'm solo.

rainmaker
08-12-2007, 14:58
I'm solo when I go underwater alone, and have no one to depend on but myself.

If I have a buddy, even an insta-buddy, I don't consider it a solo dive.

texdiveguy
08-13-2007, 15:44
I never do any dive I don't feel I could complete if nessecary being solo.

For me basically solo diving is very simply diving by myself without a dive partner.

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 15:48
Solo diving is when you dive under the surface of the water by yourself, depending solely on yourself for everything.

Insta buddy is far more dangerous than solo diving.

Traveling alone is, traveling by yourself.

coyote
08-13-2007, 16:40
Solo diving is when you dive under the surface of the water by yourself, depending solely on yourself for everything.

I second the insta buddy thing. Nothing's worse then looking over at your newly assigned dive buddy and thinking "If something goes wrong he'll kill us both."

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 18:35

I second the insta buddy thing. Nothing's worse then looking over at your newly assigned dive buddy and thinking "If something goes wrong he'll kill us both.":smiley2:

texdiveguy
08-13-2007, 18:49
I second the insta buddy thing. Nothing's worse then looking over at your newly assigned dive buddy and thinking "If something goes wrong he'll kill us both."

If ever I had such a buddy and really ever thought that, I would abort the dive....there is no reason that anyone should get in such a situation that would put themselves in extremely grave danger to rescue a dive buddy....we should do what we can short of putting ourselves into a life threating situation....you have to know when its time to break it off. We all must approach all dives as solo dives even with your closest buddy....if you would not or could not execute the dive solo than its not the dive to go on. Stop-Think-Act. IMO

deepdiver47
08-13-2007, 19:03
that is what I am getting at. If you dive with solo in mind then that guy isn't an issue. You are on your own and you should dive like that. Why would you trust an insta-buddy anyway?

My dives take place in Micronesia and in Indonesia whereby I have a guide, a boat and driver and that is it.
So do I call this guy an insta-guide? No I do not. His best interest is to bring me back vertical.

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 19:47
For so many years it was forbidden fruit to even discuss solo diving. Things are changing, for the better, but it still has a ways to go. These discussions will continue even after solo diving becomes main stream and widely accepted. It's ok to be self sufficient whether diving with a buddy or not.

I see solo diving techniques becoming part of your basic open water cert. someday. When, I'm not so sure, but it is coming. It is always good to be able to rely on yourself. I believe this should be at the core of all training, even when you happen to be diving with a friend (buddy).

Even now it is a good course for everyone to have, even if they never intend on diving solo or if no charter service ever recognizes it as a valid certification. Good training and good practice using solo techniques can never replace the best buddy in the world.

texdiveguy
08-13-2007, 20:22
I see solo diving techniques becoming part of your basic open water cert. someday. When, I'm not so sure, but it is coming. ....... I believe this should be at the core of all training, even when you happen to be diving with a friend (buddy). .............. Good training and good practice using solo techniques can never replace the best buddy in the world.

I am thinking it is a way down the road till solo tech's are part of mainstream o/w cert. courses.

I agree that solo diving is a much more accepted offering for divers today.

My 'best buddy' is my solo diving skills and proactive non complacency diving I involve myself in.

BSea
08-13-2007, 20:37
I see solo diving techniques becoming part of your basic open water cert. someday. When, I'm not so sure, but it is coming. ....... I believe this should be at the core of all training, even when you happen to be diving with a friend (buddy). .............. Good training and good practice using solo techniques can never replace the best buddy in the world.

I am thinking it is a way down the road till solo tech's are part of mainstream o/w cert. courses.

I agree that solo diving is a much more accepted offering for divers today.

My 'best buddy' is my solo diving skills and proactive non complacency diving I involve myself in.

While I agree that solo diving is becoming more mainstream, I doubt any of the agencies will ever publicly say this is acceptable. There are just too many lawyers around for that to happen.

My definition is making a dive solo without a buddy of any kind. I quite often dive solo, although I generally don't push the depth too much in those situations.

Coaster
08-14-2007, 08:49
We all must approach all dives as solo dives even with your closest buddy....if you would not or could not execute the dive solo than its not the dive to go on. Stop-Think-Act. IMO[/quote]

Hey...this makes sense.

yankeefan21
08-14-2007, 09:01
I don't know - I'm not a big fan of the whole solo dive. Where's the joy in that? The dive itself is only 1/2 the fun - the other 1/2 is sharing that experience with someone.

Maybe if you are a videographer. Even then, though, if you have a good buddy that doesn't scare fish, you've got another set of eyes to find that elusive seahorse.

fire diver
08-14-2007, 09:30
I don't know - I'm not a big fan of the whole solo dive. Where's the joy in that? The dive itself is only 1/2 the fun - the other 1/2 is sharing that experience with someone.

Maybe if you are a videographer. Even then, though, if you have a good buddy that doesn't scare fish, you've got another set of eyes to find that elusive seahorse.

I LOVE the peace and solitude of a solo dive. No one getting in my way, no one to get an eye on, no one blowing out the vis. Just me, the water, and the fish.

Think about this.... When you sit and day-dream about diving, are you picturing other divers around you? or just the thoughts of you diving, and the sights of your imagined dive site?

FD

deepdiver47
08-14-2007, 11:16
FD I am with you. Especially if you have a camera as you ARE diving solo

yankeefan21
08-20-2007, 14:05
FD I am with you. Especially if you have a camera as you ARE diving solo
As I said above, I can definately see myself giving a concession if I am filming. If I'm filming, I'm probably going to share my video with someone to try to get them excited about diving or ecology or conservation or whatever. This goes back to my feeling like I need to SHARE a dive with someone.

I guess I can see what you are getting at, though, FD. I haven't had too many occassions to visit the same site more than a couple of times but if I've already shared it, I might consider doing a solo dive to see what comes out when my buddy isn't scaring everything away...

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 14:10
Solo is when you are not dependent on anyone else and more importantly no one else is dependent on you.

mm_dm
08-20-2007, 14:38
no one else is dependent on you.

That's the part I like.

Bring the Payne
09-15-2007, 21:32
Never had really thought about it but I guess it's true that courses really teach you things based upon having a buddy and what they can do for you. Teaching you to depend upon yourself as the priority and using your buddy as a backup wouldn't be a bad way to do it.

As for the original question, I consider solo diving as diving completely alone with no one near by.

Kidder
09-15-2007, 21:47
For so many years it was forbidden fruit to even discuss solo diving. Things are changing, for the better, but it still has a ways to go. These discussions will continue even after solo diving becomes main stream and widely accepted. It's ok to be self sufficient whether diving with a buddy or not.

I see solo diving techniques becoming part of your basic open water cert. someday. When, I'm not so sure, but it is coming. It is always good to be able to rely on yourself. I believe this should be at the core of all training, even when you happen to be diving with a friend (buddy).

Even now it is a good course for everyone to have, even if they never intend on diving solo or if no charter service ever recognizes it as a valid certification. Good training and good practice using solo techniques can never replace the best buddy in the world.

I agree with this. Everyone should have good mastery of their setup and dive. That goes for nav., dive plan, and emergency procedures. A good buddy though can be the difference between life and death. Even a buddy your not sure of is better than nothing in my book. Anything solo (not another air breathing soul around) would have to be done with great care.

WV Diver
09-16-2007, 07:33
A good buddy though can be the difference between life and death. Even a buddy your not sure of is better than nothing in my book.

Hmm..... Agreed, Yes a good buddy can save your life.

Very much disagree with the statement that "even a buddy you are not sure of is better than nothing". This logic can get you killed. I see this as an example of inexperience or being complacent or unaware of possible problems with ones diving. Good guy logic is easy to succumb to. At least when I am solo I am in complete control.

Not ragging on you Kidder, I have heard this statement before. Think about it.

WaScubaDude
09-19-2007, 17:47

I agree with WV here. If you are intermediate to advanced diver, an inexperienced or "unknown" buddy is potentialy more dangerous.

Twice I have seen a "buddy" rip the primary from their bud and take them both to the surface out of control, fast. Fortunately I got to watch from a distance and all divers were ok. Confirms the comments here for me.

If I insta buddy (and I do on boats) I keep the perp in front of me a ways so I can keep an eye on him/her and react if needed. Doesn't make diving as much fun, but hey, it's still diving.

Kidder
09-19-2007, 20:13

I agree with WV here. If you are intermediate to advanced diver, an inexperienced or "unknown" buddy is potentialy more dangerous.

Twice I have seen a "buddy" rip the primary from their bud and take them both to the surface out of control, fast. Fortunately I got to watch from a distance and all divers were ok. Confirms the comments here for me.

If I insta buddy (and I do on boats) I keep the perp in front of me a ways so I can keep an eye on him/her and react if needed. Doesn't make diving as much fun, but hey, it's still diving.

I guess I've only dove with those who are experienced and people I know. If a dive partner really makes that poor of a decision. They can be a real danger to you. I guess I think to highly of my fellow divers. If they are a beginner and panic then they can bring you down.

padi1029
09-30-2007, 17:41
I consider myself a solo diver EVERY time I get into the water...whether with a buddy I have known and trusted for years or with an insta-buddy. Sure maybe I relax a little more with my trusted buddy but either way, in an OH SH-T situation the first person I depend upon and trust in is MYSELF....NO ONE will care as much about you as YOU ! Every diver should consider it their responsability to become proficient at self rescue and emergency managment. A buddy is good in a situation where self rescue is not possible. And in the situation of insta-buddy, who knows how your newly acquired "safety net" will perform in a stressful situation. When I am forced to insta-buddy I always tell them if I encounter a problem LET ME HANDLE IT.....unless I am unconscious or signal for your help. Keep the buddy stuff for sharing a beer and talking about the dive once back on the boat.

Daved
09-30-2007, 18:26
The only thing worse than an insta-buddy --is two.

ozarkdiver
05-28-2008, 16:56
Saw your forum, and since I solo all the time, thought I'd chime in here. I think it's pretty naive to think that divers never solo-dive. They do it all the time whether they know it or not. Consider the following scenarios:

Scuba instructor
Underwater photographer
Spearfishing
Rescue diver
Diving with a dependent diver (whether that be an insta-buddy, or my young son)

I actually re-wrote this note because it got really long-winded the first time (lots of pent-up frustration from having to sit and swallow the anti-solo stuff for so many years, and it's getting old). Basically I think all new divers should have to certify as a solo diver first, THEN be trained in the buddy system (if they wish). When you think of how many divers actually do very little diving, wouldn't it be nice to know that your insta-buddy was also a competent, solo diver? Also I agree with textdiveguy, in that you shouldn't do a dive that you wouldn't to solo (you never know when that buddy dive will become a solo dive).

All right, I'm off my soapbox now.

easyrider003
05-28-2008, 19:31
Well while diving in the bahamas recently, I was thinking about the whole solo diving thing thing. The instabuddy I was paired with, went to the college right down the road from where I live. Whats the odds of going from alabama to the bahamas and diving with someone you don't even know who lives withing 25 miles of yourself? Well once we hit the water I was pretty much on my own. He went his own way and was swimming so fast I could not even keep up. At times he was so far away that I couldn't see him or was having a hard time figuring out if it was my "buddy" or not. I considered it to be a solo dive because if anything had gone wrong I would have been completely on my own. Come to think of it, just about anyone I have ever gone diving with, with the exception of one has gone off on their own and left me alone. I know anytime you dive solo you are more at risk than normal, but just say a person were to stay within 25-30 of the surface, would that be fairly safe to do as long as you DO NOT ENTER any overhead environments?

mitsuguy
05-28-2008, 19:59
my biggest thing about diving with other people is worrying about their well being... realize I plan on being a DM and instructor, and I do like training / teaching / worrying about others....

HOWEVER...

when I am doing a fun dive, I really like going off and doing my own thing... plus, if you plan on diving solo, if you get split up in not so good of conditions, then you are still safe...

david_57
05-28-2008, 20:25

When you undertake a dive without a buddy but with the training and gear configuration as outlined in the SDI Solo course, without this you should never dive alone. I have my SDI Solo cert but use this as a backup when diving with a buddy if we should ever become separated!

emcbride81
05-28-2008, 22:41
A good buddy though can be the difference between life and death. Even a buddy your not sure of is better than nothing in my book.

Hmm..... Agreed, Yes a good buddy can save your life.

Very much disagree with the statement that "even a buddy you are not sure of is better than nothing". This logic can get you killed. I see this as an example of inexperience or being complacent or unaware of possible problems with ones diving. Good guy logic is easy to succumb to. At least when I am solo I am in complete control.

Not ragging on you Kidder, I have heard this statement before. Think about it.

I agree with WV on this one. I can see where Kidder is coming from with "a buddy you are not sure of being better than nothing". This statement can be true, but to believe in it to the point where you put your life in someone else's hands is a disaster waiting to happen. My belief is you have to assume the insta-buddy is the worst diver in the world and be confident in your solo abilities...then should the crap hit the fan let him prove to you otherwise. If I were entangled/trapped to the point of immobilization or unconscious (usually preventable instances), yes the insta-buddy is better than nothing, but aside from that I need to be mentally capable of taking care of myself.

To answer the op, every dive I prepare for as a solo, but unless I am alone in the water I record it as a buddy dive.

rawalker
05-29-2008, 02:56
To me it's just a diver that is willing to accept more risk and tries to offset the risk with more equipment.

ozarkdiver
05-29-2008, 08:32
In response to easyrider003, while 25-30 ft. may seem like an easy dive, other conditions may exist which make the dive more hazardous. Also, you could have a deep dive in perfect conditions (if there is such a thing) where going solo would be acceptable. I think instead of putting a hard limit on solo dives, you have to look at each dive individually (dive environment/training/experience/equipment/do you want to really want to make this dive/etc.).

ozarkdiver
05-29-2008, 09:05
As far as mitsuguy's comments about going solo and then splitting up. Even if you're an experienced solo diver, if you're going down as a buddy team, then BE A BUDDY!. I would only separate if I knew my buddy was also a solo diver, and we had disussed deliberate separation before the dive. "When" I separate, I'd make sure he knew it, and was okay with it. I'm not going down with a non-solo diver and then separate (even if it's okay with him). This puts him in a situation he may not be prepared for.

One thing I hate is when the divemaster doesn't allow me to solo dive, then I see buddy teams underwater that are in no position whatsoever to help each other if needed. I know most operators don't allow solo diving for legal reasons, but a solo certification (like SDI's) may just be the legal "out" the operators are looking for.

RikRaeder
05-29-2008, 10:27
Diving with my GF

ozarkdiver
06-06-2008, 16:13

My dives are planned solo dives (going spearfishing and I'm not taking anyone with me). However, a buddy dive can turn into a solo dive at any time, which is why they should teach self-sufficiency first, then do the buddy thing if they want. I approach every dive as if I'm going solo (right conditions/equipment for the dive, etc.). Why does a solo diver have a redundant source of air?....for "worst case" scenario. So if you're buddy diving, you need to assume "worst case" scenario (buddy separation), and have your own redundant air supply.