PDA

View Full Version : not about scuba still very frustrating

julz
08-19-2008, 22:16
in the last week i have had three large dogs just dumped in my yard. when i tried to find a no kill shelter or humane society to take them the only place that would was a pound and they wanted me to pay them because all they do is put them to sleep.

K9Pig
08-19-2008, 22:21
Find a rescue shelter for that breed... OR Just by some dog food and make them lap dogs :smiley20:. Check internet for those type of shelters in your area....

julz
08-19-2008, 22:22
there way to big and they don't like my new puppy. plus they just look like mutts to me

Rileybri
08-19-2008, 22:27
Removed and placed in PM

julz
08-19-2008, 22:35
thank you i emailed him and hopefully we can get something worked out.

aggie99
08-19-2008, 23:06
I know your frustration, I am constanstly finding strays and taking them in. We started out by trying to take them to shelters with no luck so now we get them back on their feet and find homes for them. We have one now, she turned out to have heart worms so we have had her now for 6 months dealing with that but she is all better and is up for adoption now. The best method I have found is to take some really good photos of the dog, write a good e-mail about their story, attach the pics and send out to all your friends and ask them to forward to anyone they know that might be looking for a dog. I always am very picky on who takes the animal and I insist on seeing their new home before releasing them over but so far so good. This one is dog #13! If that doesn't work call an organization like operation kindness and become a foster home through them. Any registered rescue can post on petfinder.com and they can post pics on their site which increases the exposure. I hope that helps, you are a good person to take them in.

K9Pig
08-19-2008, 23:20
I know your frustration, I am constanstly finding strays and taking them in. We started out by trying to take them to shelters with no luck so now we get them back on their feet and find homes for them. We have one now, she turned out to have heart worms so we have had her now for 6 months dealing with that but she is all better and is up for adoption now. The best method I have found is to take some really good photos of the dog, write a good e-mail about their story, attach the pics and send out to all your friends and ask them to forward to anyone they know that might be looking for a dog. I always am very picky on who takes the animal and I insist on seeing their new home before releasing them over but so far so good. This one is dog #13! If that doesn't work call an organization like operation kindness and become a foster home through them. Any registered rescue can post on petfinder.com and they can post pics on their site which increases the exposure. I hope that helps, you are a good person to take them in.

Thanks for your kind heart...

Vercingetorix
08-20-2008, 07:17
I feel your frustration. I'm a past V.P. and Board member of the DFW Humane Society in Irving, Texas.

On the plus-side, at least they were not simply dumped on the street. Somebody "out there" knows you'll take care of them. Yes, that is an unfair burden dumped on you.

Another option is to contact a breed-specific rescue group. These groups don't have shelters but are groups of individuals dedicated to finding homes for specific breeds. You can locate them via Google.

I'm surprised that Animal Control wants you to pay. That's B.S. The City A.C. is a city function for the public health and safety of the citizens. Some of them have adoption functions.

A few have partnered with a Humane Society who act in their behalf as adoption agencies. Our Humane Society in Irving has been independent for over 30 years. We will partner with the city (which is building a multi-million shelter and A.C.) next year to be the adoption agency. San Diego already has this in place.

Thank you, again, for helping these animals.

Oh, and aggie99, since you're rather local to me AND we're always trying to find places to foster dogs (because we run out of space) AND because you're a soft-touch (:smiley36:), you may be getting a PM from me every now and then.:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36: Thank YOU for taking care of your menagerie. Bless you.

plus they just look like mutts to me
What's wrong with mutts?Roger that!!! All my dogs have been rescue mutts!!!

MSilvia
08-20-2008, 07:21
plus they just look like mutts to me
What's wrong with mutts?

snoballz
08-20-2008, 08:32
julz, I hope the matter works out and a rescue service is able to take the dogs in. I can't believe that the local pound would charge you for bringing them in.

The alternative is to let them roam and who knows create a bigger problem by producing more pups or causing an accident.

Mizu is my dog from a local (NYC) rescue organization.

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o384/luketani/Mizu/Mizu3.jpg

:smiley16:

DivingCRNA
08-20-2008, 09:15
there way to big and they don't like my new puppy. plus they just look like mutts to me

I realize that you do not want these dogs as your pets. I respect that as you decision.

However, I have only every had "mutts" as pets, never a pure bred anything. They are often wonderful, intelligent dogs. I LOVE my doberman/black lab adopted stray (all 85 pounds of her).

I guess I was offended at the disparagement of mutts. I sure hope you find a good home for these dogs because mutts are God's creatures too.

octavias
08-20-2008, 09:27

I guess I was offended at the disparagement of mutts. I sure hope you find a good home for these dogs because mutts are God's creatures too.

Find a rescue shelter for that breed... OR Just by some dog food and make them lap dogs ....

I canít speak for julz, but I think the mutt reference was referring to the comment that he should take them to a breed specific shelter, which he could not do if they are mutts.

MSilvia
08-20-2008, 10:04
I think the mutt reference was referring to the comment that he should take them to a breed specific shelter, which he could not do if they are mutts.
Ahh... thanks for pointing that out. I read it as belittling mutts too, and missed the breed shelter reference.

Rileybri
08-20-2008, 10:53
I think the mutt reference was referring to the comment that he should take them to a breed specific shelter, which he could not do if they are mutts.
Ahh... thanks for pointing that out. I read it as belittling mutts too, and missed the breed shelter reference.

On a more mutt friendly note I put her in contact with Kim the dog rescue queen! If anyone can help on this matter she can! Kim organized drives to transport dogs to shelters and new homes all over the country. I am confident she can get this worked out!:smiley20::smiley20:

MSilvia
08-20-2008, 10:56
On a more mutt friendly note I put her in contact with Kim the dog rescue queen!
Good call! If Kim can't get it done, she'll definately have some ideas.

julz
08-20-2008, 17:05
i did not mean anything bad by calling them mutts most of my dogs have been mutts that have come from pounds or shelters

Rileybri
08-20-2008, 17:07
were you able to get in touch with Kim about rescue options?

julz
08-20-2008, 17:09
no the address did not work can you give it to me again please

Rileybri
08-20-2008, 17:12
ya sorry bout that. are you on face book by any chance? regardless I will track down her current address for you. She will help you either with solid info or with coordinating the rescue or somewhere in between.

julz
08-20-2008, 17:15
no i'm not on facebook and i appreciate the help

highdesert
08-25-2008, 12:32
Read the OP too fast ... thought it said three large dogs took a dump in your yard! :smiley5:

Owned mutts for 35 years, never a purebred, and they were all smart, great dogs. I think that quite often the mixing of bloodlines turns out a smarter dog ... 'course I s'pose if you get the wrong combination, you're just as likely to get otherwise. Maybe I was just lucky ...

bubble-head
08-31-2008, 18:43
thought it said three large dogs took a dump in your yard

That's funny! I thought it said the same thing at first. I've always wanted a dog, even a mutt, but the wife is totally against dogs.

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 20:19
I live on a small island in Tonga, Ha'apai and our neighbours ate our dog. You always could try that approach.

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 20:21
I live in Tonga and the neighbours ate our dog, you could try that approach.

julz
08-31-2008, 20:43
thanks but they are still really skinny and would probably be tough

BlowingBubbles
09-09-2008, 06:47
I live on a small island in Tonga, Ha'apai and our neighbours ate our dog. You always could try that approach.

Yikes! Seriously? Sounds like you don't have a lot of strays running around. :smiley5: Where is Tonga, Ha'apai exactly?

thagar
09-09-2008, 20:37
Read the OP too fast ... thought it said three large dogs took a dump in your yard! :smiley5:

I thought that too. I have owned mutts and purbreds, unless you are going to use them for specific purpose mutts are just as good.

scuba Widow
09-10-2008, 20:27
Julz

I couldn't help but notice you said that you have a new puppy...I work in an animal hospital and just want to caution your about being careful with the health of the little one because of the strays hanging around. From my experiences at the hospital we find that many irresponsible pet owners like the ones that dump these defenseless creatures tend to do so because of health problems or so forth. Remember that if they were dumped they probably haven't had very good vet care...like vaccines and such.

Now, for the statement of "mutts" there is nothing wrong with "mutts". I have a purebred "mutt" he has no papers but I love him just the same. In the hospital we see more purebreds with health problems, like my min pin who has lupus. What really kills me is the people that go and buy these $2000 designer breeds and call them purebreds and then don't have the money to care for them properly, such as vaccines, spay or neutering them or provide them with heartworm preventative,medications and the best possible food and clean water. In my opinion, the designer breeds are the worst of the "mutts".

julz
09-10-2008, 22:37
i agree i only called them "mutts" because they are mixed breeds of indeterminte parentage the vast majority of my dogs have been mutts and have been extrmely intelligent far smarter than the one or two purebreads i have had. mutt is not intended as derogatory just as a term for mixed breeds.