PDA

View Full Version : Annoying sports chants

georoc01
08-12-2007, 14:27
I have the PGA championship on in the background today and noticed that every time Tiger drives the ball someone screams 'ITS IN THE HOLE!' Which is complete BS other than maybe on one of the par 3s.

Where did that get started and how dumb is that?

ESPN's outside the lines did a thing on little league baseball chants, and how in some cities, yelling at the batter is expected, and is encouraged from the stands on the sidelines by the parents! I remember kids yelling c'mon batter swing to keep everyone in the game, but not the stands on the sidelines.

Of course, I have been in the upper deck of a pro football game with someone right behind me screaming "YOU CAN DO IT" before every offensive play as the team lined up as if they could hear her from that far away.

Anyone have any others?

thesmoothdome
08-12-2007, 14:46
You DA MAN!!!

Black-Gorrilla
08-12-2007, 17:34
look at any south american or european soccer teams... they all have tons.. and most suck... but there are plenty of good ones too.

paintballindivr
08-12-2007, 19:19
at a basketball game there was a guy that almost every jump shot that wasnt in the paint he would scream "IT'S A THREEEEEE" and after about 4 trips to the concession stand it was more like "ITSS A UMM TREEE" haha

DivingsInMyBlood
08-12-2007, 19:30
in football in england (not american football) the fans chant to the other fans "YOUR GONNA GET YA f#%#*#G heads kicked in".

BSea
08-12-2007, 19:37
The one I hate the most isn't really a "Sports" chant, but was one from college. It's "DRINK CHUG-A-LUB DRINK CHUG-A-LUG". That one really is annoying, especially when I'm diving:)

ReefHound
08-12-2007, 21:18
na na na na... na na na na... hey hey... goodbye!

Whoop... there it is! Whoop... there it is! Whoop... there it is!

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 09:16
The Tomahawk Chop. Stupid, annoying, and demeaning.

Disneymom
08-13-2007, 10:51
No offense to Eagles fans, but I was in an ESPN club in FL a couple years ago watching football - and it was PACKED with Eagles fans... and they sang...... ?????
Whats up with that?

Skinsfan1311
08-13-2007, 11:06
No offense to Eagles fans, but I was in an ESPN club in FL a couple years ago watching football - and it was PACKED with Eagles fans... and they sang...... ?????
Whats up with that?

NEVER apologize for offending Eagles fans! :smiley36:

BSea
08-13-2007, 11:12
Maybe I don't get it. I have never understood the controversy about the depiction of native americans as demeaning. If that were true, why do we name our teams "Cowboys", "Minutemen", "Patriots", "Texans", or even "Yankees".

Aren't mascots something we as fans take pride in? Aren't they chosen to strike fear and respect from opponents? How is FL State any more reverent in their team name than other sports teams? Could it be they have more $$$$$. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they kept the name.

I think this is just a case of the NCAA getting involved in areas it shouldn't just because it can. Consequently, this issue has recieved much more publicity than it deserves. If they are so against this depiction of native americans, why is their headquarters in INDIANA?

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 11:13
Put down the fire helmet and step away from the kegerator.

J - E - T - S - Stink! Stink! Stink!

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 11:23
Maybe I don't get it. I have never understood the controversy about the depiction native americans as demeaning.
Calling your team "The Seminoles" with the blessing of the Seminole Nation is one thing.

Cheif Wahoo, though? You don't see how that's demeaning? Can you imagine if we had a team named the "Mississippi Spear Chuckers" or "Delaware Darkies" and it had a Sambone character eating watermelon as a mascott?

Check this out for a less euro-centric perspective: http://hoffmanshome.com/native/index.html

BTW - "Lies My Teacher Told Me" is an AMAZING book. I would HIGHLY encourage anyone to check it out for a quick look. If you do that much, you wont be able to put it down!

tedtim
08-13-2007, 11:37
Leafs Suck, Leafs Suck.

Wait a minute, that's me yelling that. Sometimes I annoy myself.

The truth does hurt though.

Hockey fans will understand.

torrey
08-13-2007, 12:11
Of course, I have been in the upper deck of a pro football game with someone right behind me screaming "YOU CAN DO IT" before every offensive play as the team lined up as if they could hear her from that far away.

Were they doing it with a cajun accent? (waterboy)

georoc01
08-13-2007, 12:16

Actually its J - E - T - S - Sux! Sux! Sux!

I love the two Jets fans that come to our Colorado Bills Bar every Sunday just for the abuse both ways..

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 13:01

Actually its J - E - T - S - Sux! Sux! Sux!

I love the two Jets fans that come to our Colorado Bills Bar every Sunday just for the abuse both ways..
Yeah - I didn't want to use strong language in here... :smilie39:

TxHockeyGuy
08-13-2007, 13:03
Right before my senior year in high school started Forest Gump came out, the name of our school was Naaman Forest. Every team we faced thought they were coming up with the original signs and chants of "run forest run". It got real old by the end of the season.

thor
08-13-2007, 13:12
Ravens fans and their "move them chains, move them chains" chant. I think I just swallowed my own vomit.

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 13:19
I have never understood the controversy about the depiction of native americans as demeaning. If that were true, why do we name our teams "Cowboys", "Minutemen", "Patriots", "Texans", or even "Yankees".
Sorry - I forgot to address this point. Ask someone from Texas if they would take offense to being called a "Texan." Ask any soldier if they would take offense to being called a "Patriot." These are not based on a derrogatory term.

I hate to say this - because this team has such a proud history - but calling a team the "Redskins?" That's pretty bad. Calling a team the "Indians" and having Chief Wahoo as a mascott just shows a general lack of geographical knowledge. If they wanted to have Ghandi as their mascott - that would be a different story! :smilie39:

PS.
Do you know what a "Yankee" is or where the word comes from?

Disneymom
08-13-2007, 13:22
Maybe I don't get it. I have never understood the controversy about the depiction of native americans as demeaning. If that were true, why do we name our teams "Cowboys", "Minutemen", "Patriots", "Texans", or even "Yankees".

Aren't mascots something we as fans take pride in? Aren't they chosen to strike fear and respect from opponents? How is FL State any more reverent in their team name than other sports teams? Could it be they have more $$$$$. Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they kept the name.

I think this is just a case of the NCAA getting involved in areas it shouldn't just because it can. Consequently, this issue has recieved much more publicity than it deserves. If they are so against this depiction of native americans, why is their headquarters in INDIANA?
I don't think it's just NCAA. One of our local high schools is the Redskins. They have been forced to change their logo (one, for infringment of the University of Miami logo) and second, their other logo was a 'head shot' of a Native American. Said logo wasn't doing anything controversial, not weilding any weapons - just a plain ol' 'head'. I don't think I understand it, either. Schools have had these mascots for years, but now suddenly it's not politically correct. Sorry to veer OT...

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 13:33
Schools have had these mascots for years, but now suddenly it's not politically correct. Sorry to veer OT...
That's the problem. A lot of these mascots have been around for a LONG time. Of course, that doesn't make it right. The other thing a lot of people don't realize is that this isn't an "all of a sudden" thing. This fight has been going on for a long time but the Native Americans never had money - therefore, they never had a voice.

This is from 1999:

We, the members of the American Anthropological Association, call upon all educators and administrators of educational institutions to stop promoting the stereotypical representation of American Indian people through the use of sports mascots. The persistence of such officially sanctioned, stereotypical presentations humiliates American Indian people, trivializes the scholarship of anthropologists, undermines the learning environment for all students, and seriously compromises efforts to promote diversity on school and college campuses.http://www.nativeculturelinks.com/mascots.html

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 13:35
Here's another quick summary from a Native American perspective that addresses mascots and logos specifically:
http://www.iwchildren.org/barb.htm

Here's a site that lists some teams that have changed names due to complaints dating back to the 60's:
http://www.inwhosehonor.com/documents/mascot_changes.html

I hope you take a second to read it and to try to walk a mile in their shoes.

kevinj1
08-13-2007, 13:39
One of my Favorites but can still get annoying from time-to-time is;
We will Rock You--(Queen).
Its good until someone keeps it going for a 1/2 an hour.

Disneymom
08-13-2007, 13:44
Thank you for sharing that article, yankeefan.

yankeefan21
08-13-2007, 13:49
Thank you for sharing that article, yankeefan.
Of course! That's what I love about forums - the opportunity to share ideas and opinions! I never really thought it was a big deal until I took a course on Native American - European history. It was really eye opening and a little embarrassing.

In another topic we can talk about Hawaiian Independence! :smiley20:

J-Cub
08-14-2007, 09:58
I've always liked the tomahawk chop..... Not because it was demeaning to native americans. But because all of the fans could group together and chant something so loud and it was unique to their mascot. You couldn't go to Philadelphia and do the tomahawk chop. But in Atlanta you expected it.

Sometimes I like to watch World Cup Soccer Games and hear the chants/songs that the fans yell out. They stay in the game and they are just having a good time. Also I like to watch the Cameron Crazies at Duke University, and I am a UNC fan. But it is fun to watch them jump up and down and the sound that they make when they are all yelling together is cool.

Speaking of soccer, how about "Goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goal, goooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllll!!!!!!!!!"

tedtim
08-14-2007, 10:15
Since we moved on to TV announcing

He

Could

Go

All

The

Way

Buoyant1
08-14-2007, 11:14

Oooof! I was at the Orange bowl two years ago when Penn State played Florida State....IT GET'S OLD! :smilie39:

cgvmer
08-14-2007, 11:23
hey the high school in the town next to me has a mascot of a "hillbilly" and yes the image is a hillbilly
http://logo.cafepress.com/2/2325573.1377862.jpg

yankeefan21
08-28-2007, 11:59
Progressive. :smiley11:

georoc01
08-28-2007, 12:10

I don't think it's just NCAA. One of our local high schools is the Redskins. They have been forced to change their logo (one, for infringment of the University of Miami logo) and second, their other logo was a 'head shot' of a Native American. Said logo wasn't doing anything controversial, not weilding any weapons - just a plain ol' 'head'. I don't think I understand it, either. Schools have had these mascots for years, but now suddenly it's not politically correct. Sorry to veer OT...

My local college, Syracuse University, dropped the indian head for a piece of fruit. I know. I had the indian head logo on a banner in my bedroom growing up. Unfortunately it didn't survive when I was back last year to clear out the house. I'm sure it would have been worth big money on ebay.

yankeefan21
08-28-2007, 12:16
My local college, Syracuse University, dropped the indian head for a piece of fruit. I know. I had the indian head logo on a banner in my bedroom growing up. Unfortunately it didn't survive when I was back last year to clear out the house. I'm sure it would have been worth big money on ebay.
Yeah, there were quite a few big colleges in NY that did some house cleaning early on. Syracuse, St Johns and Siena immediately jump to mind.

Vercingetorix
08-28-2007, 12:22
A few years ago, I attended a Texas Rangers baseball game. There was a fan (reported on in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram) who would bring a drum and stick to the games. The drum was similar to a bodhran. He would pound that thing as hard as he could with EVERY pitch. I felt sorry for fans in the immediate area. I was a 100 yards away, and I could hear him and that damned drum.

Yes, folks asked him to not bring it. His response as that he wanted to show team spirit. He had season ticets and came to every game.

yankeefan21
08-28-2007, 12:24
A few years ago, I attended a Texas Rangers baseball game. There was a fan (reported on in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram) who would bring a drum and stick to the games.
I remember that guy! :smilie39:

Yeah - he was pretty bad. The Cleveland Indians had a section like that back when they were a struggling ball club.

scuba Widow
08-28-2007, 21:07
Not being a sports fan myself other than NASCAR and having moved to the biggest football area in the south I have a few that really make my skin crawl...go vols, bleed orange,git r done, and the very famous and now very annoying rocky top...I think if I hear rocky top one more time I will puke.

quarrydiver
08-28-2007, 21:13
It isn't really a sports chant but I had to listen to people singing "who let the dogs out" for about 12 miles of the chicago marathon. I was glad to hear them stop singing and start wheezing.