PDA

View Full Version : Housing lens fogging up

CousinDucky
08-20-2008, 14:04
I have the Sony Sport Pak housing for the Sony SR11.
I shot some nice video in the USVI...but on a few occasions the housing lens fogged up a little about 15 mins into the shoot. Not to terribly noticeable underwater but the above water shots it is. I wonder how much better the underwater stuff could look if it wasnt fogged?..hmmm

Anyways..

QUESTION: what do you recommend to use to help prevent fogging? I have and used the dessicant that came with the housing but obviously that didnt work...or maybe I wasnt using it properly...???

Does anit-fog solutions work on the housing lens?

P.S. I like the housing and the cam...both are really nice and easy to use.

MSilvia
08-20-2008, 14:27
The best (and only certain) remedy I've found is to close the housing in a low humidity environment, like an air conditioned car or room. If there's no humidity in the housing, it can't condense when it cools.

monant
08-20-2008, 14:27
You may need to install the desiccant with the camera into the housing an hour or more before you go diving. My line of thought is it may take some time for the desiccant to absorb the water vapor inside the housing. When the housing cools after entering the water the water vapor condenses and fogs up the lens. If the vapor is absorbed it can't fog anything.

bubbletrubble
08-20-2008, 14:28
The best way to avoid fogging of the lens port is to open/close the housing in a dry, non-humid environment and to keep the air inside the housing as near as possible to the temperature of the water that you'll be diving in. This is one reason why you don't want to leave your camera in the sun in-between dives. If available, try prepping your camera in an air-conditioned room (although I realize that this is not always possible). Use good quality, high-capacity batteries so that you don't subject your camera rig to opening/closing in-between dives. Desiccant packs, when properly cared for, can be helpful. Depending on the composition/style of the pack, they may need to be "re-charged" by drying in an oven. Personally, I don't have any experience with the anti-fog solutions made for an UW camera lens port. I'm a little leery about purposefully putting anything on the inside of the lens port.

Edited later: Ugghhh. MSilvia beat my posting by a minute! It's good to know that we're in agreement on this.

CousinDucky
08-20-2008, 20:56
Ok yeah, all these are good things to consider.

Thanks for the help. I'll try preparing the camera ahead of time in the room and allowing the dessicant to set in the housing with the camera for a little while too.

scubarobin
08-22-2008, 08:03
Another thing is to keep the housing in the shade. On a boat take a white towel to cover it if it has to sit in the sun. :smiley20:

Rocky Heap
08-22-2008, 13:44
A bit of sea gold or other anti-fog mask cleaner works well too. and my SP-350 can get pretty warm after 100-125 shots per dive. Once I went to a DS-125 strobe and didn't fire the internal strobe at all, camera battery life went way up and fogging went way down.