PDA

View Full Version : Bad SC Dive Op

Ramgib
08-20-2008, 21:19
Operator: Express Water Sports in Murrells Inlet SC.

Dive Date / Location: Aug 9th City of Richmond / Aug 10th BP25 (Orig. posted "other" board.

First let me start by saying I have used this operation before and never had this problem. They were professional and safe but things have changed. We a group of 15 divers (3 instructors, 2 dive masters, master divers, rescue divers, and a few aow students chose this operation on my recommendation to the head instructor. There were 18 other divers from another group as well.

I called and secured our place on the boat, obtained all the information from Jennifer the owner. I also let her know that there would be students new to boat diving. I was told not to bring personal coolers as they provide 3 100 qt coolers to use. This was not quite true as there was one cooler on the Fly Bridge for the Captain and crew, one cooler for fish only, and one cooler for 33 Divers. The dive boat had divemaster canidates as crew who were supposed to be working but had other plans (diving and or spearfishing) as they either could not or would not assist the paying customers with exiting or boarding the boat. One DM for the boat had been spear fishing on the 10th and when he could not get the fish off his spear he pulled out a knife and started hacking the fish slinging blood every where. Then he removed his BC and tank, did not secure it and dropped it on my friendís leg. This was the operation's dive master mind you. No apology.

We were told expressly that they could accommodate our steel tanks but were not told we would have to remove the tank boots until after we loaded them on the boat.

The crew was smoking all over the place upsetting several instructors. Total disregard for the paying customers on the boat. Students mind you; students were dodging spear guns with no safety tips on this cattle boat. DMís were not watching or assisting the divers who requested assistance. Told to hand fins up but seldom was there any one at the back of boat.

On the second day hang tanks were requested for the hang line for those doing deco. This was requested before we came, the day before the deep dive and the morning of the deep dive. Surprise! No hang bottles even after we were told they would be provided.

Many people were pissed with the crew and the owner Jennifer but chose to wait and let me talk with her on these issues before writing this post. I called and spoke with her 2 days after the dives and she claimed she would have to talk with the crew since she was not onboard. She said she would call me and or Jerry, the instructor back. We have not heard a word from them. Not even an apology for the poor management, derelict crew or negligent captain. They have not apologized to the man they dropped the tank on, or Becky, the girl who fell on the ladder because there was no DM to assist people getting back on the boat. I am embarrassed I ever recommended them and can not recommend them again. They showed all of the new divers how NOT to manage a dive operation.

I tried to make this as brief as possible. If more details needed, just ask.

JCAT
08-20-2008, 22:30
I have notified Express via email concerning your post, I think it only fair that they be given the opportunity to address your concerns in this forum.

tonka97
08-21-2008, 06:17
Operator: Express Water Sports in Murrells Inlet SC.

Dive Date / Location: Aug 9th City of Richmond / Aug 10th BP25 (Orig. posted "other" board.

First let me start by saying I have used this operation before and never had this problem. They were professional and safe but things have changed. We a group of 15 divers (3 instructors, 2 dive masters, master divers, rescue divers, and a few aow students chose this operation on my recommendation to the head instructor. There were 18 other divers from another group as well.

I called and secured our place on the boat, obtained all the information from Jennifer the owner. I also let her know that there would be students new to boat diving. I was told not to bring personal coolers as they provide 3 100 qt coolers to use. This was not quite true as there was one cooler on the Fly Bridge for the Captain and crew, one cooler for fish only, and one cooler for 33 Divers. The dive boat had divemaster canidates as crew who were supposed to be working but had other plans (diving and or spearfishing) as they either could not or would not assist the paying customers with exiting or boarding the boat. One DM for the boat had been spear fishing on the 10th and when he could not get the fish off his spear he pulled out a knife and started hacking the fish slinging blood every where. Then he removed his BC and tank, did not secure it and dropped it on my friendís leg. This was the operation's dive master mind you. No apology.

We were told expressly that they could accommodate our steel tanks but were not told we would have to remove the tank boots until after we loaded them on the boat.

The crew was smoking all over the place upsetting several instructors. Total disregard for the paying customers on the boat. Students mind you; students were dodging spear guns with no safety tips on this cattle boat. DMís were not watching or assisting the divers who requested assistance. Told to hand fins up but seldom was there any one at the back of boat.

On the second day hang tanks were requested for the hang line for those doing deco. This was requested before we came, the day before the deep dive and the morning of the deep dive. Surprise! No hang bottles even after we were told they would be provided.

Many people were pissed with the crew and the owner Jennifer but chose to wait and let me talk with her on these issues before writing this post. I called and spoke with her 2 days after the dives and she claimed she would have to talk with the crew since she was not onboard. She said she would call me and or Jerry, the instructor back. We have not heard a word from them. Not even an apology for the poor management, derelict crew or negligent captain. They have not apologized to the man they dropped the tank on, or Becky, the girl who fell on the ladder because there was no DM to assist people getting back on the boat. I am embarrassed I ever recommended them and can not recommend them again. They showed all of the new divers how NOT to manage a dive operation.

I tried to make this as brief as possible. If more details needed, just ask.

Thanks for posting your clear and substantiated dive report!:smiley20:

I will be avoiding this dive operation.

thagar
08-21-2008, 21:19
Dude that sucks. Was the actual diving good? I hope your friend is ok.

miny
08-22-2008, 12:49
Another bad experience with a dive op RamGib? It seems you have a habit of complaining on various boards about several dive operations. The problem may be you.

Just a thought.

P.S. I have dove with Scuba Express on many occassions and could'nt have had a more different experience. Very professional and friendly. Great boat. They are a dive operation not babysitters.

awap
08-22-2008, 13:45
Another bad experience with a dive op RamGib? It seems you have a habit of complaining on various boards about several dive operations. The problem may be you.

Just a thought.

P.S. I have dove with Scuba Express on many occassions and could'nt have had a more different experience. Very professional and friendly. Great boat. They are a dive operation not babysitters.

miny

What is the problem with posting this under your regular user name. Why the sock puppet? What are you hiding?

Diver Kat
08-22-2008, 14:28
There's a big difference between 'babysitting' and normal boat operations such as assisting divers on & off the boat ....

either could not or would not assist the paying customers with exiting or boarding the boat.

And I'm with awap ... a bit suspicious for a first post ....