PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Allergies?!

DrEa
08-21-2008, 02:27
Hey Ladies, I am new to this site and also new to diving. I just completed my OW and discovered that I have a not so cute or subtle allergy to Neoprene. Any ideas on the next best things or a way to get around it without going down in quality of a wetsuit/booties? Thanks for any advice!:smiley9:

obrules15
08-21-2008, 07:26
What exactly is your allergy, do you swell, or just itch or get hives etc when did it happen? If it is just a contact dermatitis type of thing you can probably get away with wearing diveskins and coated suits because neoprene is usually coated with fabric in this day and age.

3rdEye
08-21-2008, 09:05
http://forum.scubatoys.com/wetsuits/15696-violent-break-out.html

this might be a good thread to check out

BlueC5Kitten
08-21-2008, 09:31
What exactly is your allergy, do you swell, or just itch or get hives etc when did it happen? If it is just a contact dermatitis type of thing you can probably get away with wearing diveskins and coated suits because neoprene is usually coated with fabric in this day and age.
http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/iagree.gif One of the guys I dove with recently had a contact dermatitis type allergy, so his solution was to wear a dive skin and fin socks...all was well, until one trip he left his gear at home...5 hours away! He managed with a long-sleeved t-shirt, normal sock and swim trunks though, for two dives of the 4 we had planned.

MSilvia
08-21-2008, 09:48
It's a costly alternative, but a lot of drysuits are neoprene-free.

mike_s
08-21-2008, 09:51
Hey Ladies, I am new to this site and also new to diving. I just completed my OW and discovered that I have a not so cute or subtle allergy to Neoprene. Any ideas on the next best things or a way to get around it without going down in quality of a wetsuit/booties? Thanks for any advice!:smiley9:

try wearing a liner, such as socks or a "dive skin".

not to push you to another forum, but there have been past threads on this on Scubaboard that you might want to read also.

DrEa
08-21-2008, 17:34
Thanks for the advice, it was a pretty bad reaction actually. My feet wear really bad, they were swollen, and there was red itchy blisters on the top and on my toes, and also around my wrists, red itchy little blisters, and also a little down the back of my leg. I'll look into everything that you said, thanks!

freeski4ever
08-22-2008, 00:09
Wow, that really sucks. I can think of two options... only dive in 80 degree water, or try racquetball ;)

Merrimorte
08-22-2008, 11:10
It's a costly alternative, but a lot of drysuits are neoprene-free.

That was my thought! :smiley20: