PDA

View Full Version : Flying with AA.

mwhities
08-21-2008, 11:23
I'm flying to Cozumel in October and I'm trying to decide what I need to pack into my mesh bag to carry on board (If I can.).

I currently have my DSS long pattern back plate (hog harness), my LCD 30# wing, my XXL Jets, DUI rock boots, mask, reel, smbs (DSS/DAN) and I'll have my regs and computer/bottom timer soon (waiting for it all to arrive.). Without the regs and computer/bottom timer, my bag weighs 24lbs. I figure the regs will weigh 5 or 6lbs(?). That'd be roughly 30lbs. Well underneath the weight limit.

Only thing is, the fins are quite long. I wonder if it'd exceed the length limit. Could I possibly go to the airport and approach AA with what I am trying to do and see if it passes?

What are your experiences? I just don't want to take a chance of losing any of my gear. I'm considering putting my fins in with my clothes but, I'd rather keep all of it with me. I know for sure I will carry on my regs, mask and computer/bottom timer, I would just hate it if I lost everything else.

Thanks all.

Michael

BoomerNJ
08-21-2008, 11:37
Check out the airline's website. I found it under the faq section:

Q: What are the carry-on baggage restrictions for domestic flights?
A: FAA security measures limit customers on all AA flights to one carry-on bag plus one personal item. All carry-on pieces, including laptops, must fit either underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. All portable electronic devices, including laptops, must remain off during taxi, takeoff, approach and landing until we arrive at the gate and the seat belt sign is turned off. The one carry-on bag must fit in an overhead compartment or under the seat. It should not exceed 45 linear inches (length + width + height) or weigh more than 40 lbs/18 kgs.
Good luck & have a great trip!

Boomer

mwhities
08-21-2008, 11:38
Check out the airline's website. I found it under the faq section:

Q: What are the carry-on baggage restrictions for domestic flights?
A: FAA security measures limit customers on all AA flights to one carry-on bag plus one personal item. All carry-on pieces, including laptops, must fit either underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. All portable electronic devices, including laptops, must remain off during taxi, takeoff, approach and landing until we arrive at the gate and the seat belt sign is turned off. The one carry-on bag must fit in an overhead compartment or under the seat. It should not exceed 45 linear inches (length + width + height) or weigh more than 40 lbs/18 kgs.
Good luck & have a great trip!

Boomer

So that mean it'll work? haha I may try to go up there and see what they say.

Thanks,

Michael

cowgirldiver
08-21-2008, 12:34
On our trip to Coz last month, I saw some divers with what looked like backpacks that they carried on and their fins were strapped to the outside of the backpack. I didn't see anyone giving them a hard time but they may not have been as long as yours.

Big Mike
10-02-2008, 12:04
Just remember.....TSA stands for "TO STEAL ALL"

beperkins
10-17-2008, 10:44
What type of diving are you giong to do Cave? That sounds like an awful lot of cold water gear for Coz