PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Lake August 30th

mr_tabasco
08-21-2008, 13:58
My wife and I were thinking of going to Mammoth Lake scub park on the 30th. I know that is week away but just wated to see if anyone else was going to be there or knew anyting about the conditons. We have never been there and just thought it might be a little better than Blue lagoon to get some bubble time in before going to Coz.

Coaster
08-21-2008, 16:09
I heard that is good...want to dive there soon...can't on th 30th though...have fun and sent a dive report.

dannybot
08-22-2008, 22:50
I heard that is good...want to dive there soon...can't on th 30th though...have fun and sent a dive report.

Yeah, let us know what it's like, I have been curious.

vanessar
08-23-2008, 16:47
Headed there in the morning to see the C-130. Went a month ago and found the place well laid out. Viz is still now great. Reported this week at 9 ft. However, they are working hard to improve the viz.

Vanessar

vanessar
08-24-2008, 18:23
Headed there in the morning to see the C-130. Went a month ago and found the place well laid out. Viz is still not great. Reported this week at 9 ft. However, they are working hard to improve the viz.

Vanessar

See correction above 'still not great'.

Today the viz was better than in July. Approx 11-10 ft in spots.

C-130 was fun to dive around and we had a good time.

vanessar

snagel
08-24-2008, 18:48
Can we get an update on the conditions at Untitled Document (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com)

Snagel

vanessar
08-24-2008, 21:09
Can we get an update on the conditions at Untitled Document (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com)

Snagel

Had a great day today at ML Aug 24th, 08.

Viz is improving since my last visit to ML on July 4th weekend, 4-5 ft July and 10-13 this time. Temp is 80-85 degrees depending on depth and location.

The site is well planned and fun Dive shop is nice. It has pleasant staff and is adequately equipped. Classes were in session in a covered pool. Looked like a great place to do the required pool dives. There are several docks and associated pavilions around the lake. The docks have both good entry and exit.

C-130 was cool. Even though the viz was at 10 ft, I enjoyed following the wing span and tail section. Additionally, there are many other sites including a fire truck, metal sculptures, and a submarine.

Folks at ML are working toward better viz on a continual basis. I am looking forward to more day trips to ML in the future.

Vanessar

Untitled Document (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com/)

Done (see above), love this website midwestmuckdiving.com and I visit often.

vanessar

snagel
08-25-2008, 05:06
Thanks Vanessar,

Seen that you updated the conditions. Thanks for the report.

Snagel

mr_tabasco
08-25-2008, 12:25
We are both newly cerified so I was curious for some advise on the best place to dive from and if there is some sort of map availible ofthe lake?

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 03:14
"Hurry Marge, the snapping Turtles are massing."

mr_tabasco
09-04-2008, 04:22
Trip report. The layout is very nice topside and they have several pavillions and they seem to share a max of about 4 pavillions for each entry. They assign each group to a paviliion so you have a nice shaded area to sit during surface intervals and the dive shop is on sight so you cn get anything you might need. The visibility was only about 5 feet in most places so you really had to know where things were to find the sights. The map they give out is pretty sparce so we found it difficult to find stuff. They have several training platforms which are marked with different bouys (two large tanks as opposed to the single orange bouy) we didn't realize this until later in the day. The water temp was nice at about 85F and there was a thermocline atabout 30 ft. All in all it was a good day and we would go back

Rockhound76
09-04-2008, 15:19
Thanks for the report. My son wants to go there. I was hoping that the viz would get better, but I'm going to take him after we get back from the Flower Gardens in a few weeks.

srhtech
09-08-2008, 10:23
What are they doing to improve the viz? I would settle for 15' but I don't know if I would venture that far for any less than that. I would rather head to Blue Lagoon as it is about the same distance from my house.