PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities for a guy with an overactive bladder?

imcertified!
08-21-2008, 18:44
Hey... if you read the title you can probably imagine that a drysuit isn't sounding too appealing to me. I live in Seattle so I hear they are really the best option for me, but there are obvious restrictions I am facing.

I'm not planning on becoming a tec diver or anything, am I cursed to get wet every time I enter the water?

Gombessa
08-21-2008, 18:46
Two common solutions:

1. P-valve - go in the water whenever you need. Cons - potential for flooding and pre-dive "setup" requirements with sticky condom catheters.

2. Relief zipper - lets you run to the restroom before/after dive without getting out of the suit. Cons - another dry zipper that may leak, and/or require replacement.

tonka97
08-21-2008, 19:23
Two common solutions:

1. P-valve - go in the water whenever you need. Cons - potential for flooding and pre-dive "setup" requirements with sticky condom catheters.

2. Relief zipper - lets you run to the restroom before/after dive without getting out of the suit. Cons - another dry zipper that may leak, and/or require replacement.

What about the diaper scenario?
:smiley13:

CompuDude
08-21-2008, 19:26
Yup. Three options. Well, four if you include diving "wet".

*twitch*

Easiest, by far, is the humble p-valve. Simple and inexpensive to install (can be, at least), works like a champ.

trekkindave
08-21-2008, 19:26
You could always use a texas catheter (the sticky condom type hookup) and leg bag.. But the relief valve seems more appropirate... I've never dove a dry suit, but i can see a compression of the suit being an issue with a bag of urine on the leg...

Brewer
08-21-2008, 19:53
Depends?

reactive
08-21-2008, 20:25
Depends?
On what? :smilie39:

Warren
08-21-2008, 20:36
Depends?

Nice! :smiley20:

For my AOW I did a drysuit dive - Rentals don't have the p-valve, so you gotta hold it.

I was worried too, but I made sure not to drink too much that morning, then hit the restroom right before we suited up, and I did fine.

I didn't feel the typical urge that I do when diving the wetsuit, so perhaps it is not going to be an issue for you?

Can you rent one local and try it? If so, try it and perhaps do the Depends thing just in case?

freeski4ever
08-22-2008, 00:40
Yup, the wet option can go from warm to cold pretty quickly!!!

mm_dm
08-22-2008, 09:15
You could always use a texas catheter (the sticky condom type hookup) and leg bag.. But the relief valve seems more appropirate... I've never dove a dry suit, but i can see a compression of the suit being an issue with a bag of urine on the leg...

A 'texas catheter"? Aw man, that's harsh. Actually, I may make up something like that and casually throw it onto the table where we're all gearing up next dive. Should go in the gear bag right next to the KY gell.

For the OP- I think a p-valve is your best option...works between dives too if you're still 'connected'. I've talked to guys who wore depends and had them leak after letting too much urine go at once (yuk). You have to be somewhat careful with the p-valve as well, but it beats sitting in a wet diaper any day IMHO.

ianr33
08-22-2008, 09:29
Everyone I dive with that has a drysuit uses a P-Valve

Simple,cheap(ish) Its the only way to go. (so to speak!)

frozenwarp
08-22-2008, 09:46
I just purchased a Drysuit and will be having a P-valve installed in the near future (i see it as the only real viable option), Someone mentioned they minimize there water intake before a dive... well not to have a go but that is a bad idea, dehydration can increase the risk of DCS, And besides a dive will always be better enjoyed if your not thirsty or busting to go to the toilet,

GO WITH THE PEE VALVE, get some relief

good luck with your choice,
Bradley

skdvr
08-22-2008, 11:51
Another vote for P-valve here...

Phil

CompuDude
08-22-2008, 12:35
I just purchased a Drysuit and will be having a P-valve installed in the near future (i see it as the only real viable option), Someone mentioned they minimize there water intake before a dive... well not to have a go but that is a bad idea, dehydration can increase the risk of DCS, And besides a dive will always be better enjoyed if your not thirsty or busting to go to the toilet,

Bradley

Saved me some typing, thanks. :smiley20:

NOT drinking to avoid peeing in your drysuit is a dangerous way to dive. Flirting with dehydration is a sure way to get bent.

Get the p-valve. Simple ones can often be found for as little as $20-30, add some aquaseal and you're ready to hydrate like crazy!

Not to those who haven't installed theirs just yet: Eating some salty snacks (pretzels, etc.) just before you dive is one way to help temporarily suspend the urge to pee.

And for the women, there IS an option now. It takes a little bit of dedication, but the "she-p" has been proven highly effective by very serious technical divers at this point... so don't think you have to miss out on the p-party just because you lack the hose! :smiley36:

Warren
08-22-2008, 12:40
I'm not saying to be dehydrated, just don't just slug down drinks, a habit for most when you are just hanging out and chatting.

If you're going to dive in the next 30 or so minutes, and you aren't thirsty, then go easy, and make a quick run to the restroom before you suit up...

Gombessa
08-22-2008, 12:45
Yep, I forgot about the diapers, probably goes to show you what I think about them as a viable option. Some people use them happily, but a quote from another board sums it up pretty well: "If you really want to wear your urine, then by all means..."

I haven't heard much about the She-P since the initial excitement over the idea - is it being regularly used, or has it fallen by the wayside?

imcertified!
08-22-2008, 23:15
Alright sweet, I assumed that the P-valve was a bit less accessible... also part of my own overactive bladder situation involved having to wear a REAL catheter for a couple days, so the idea of having one on while scuba diving sounded a bit... uncomfortable... Didn't realize this was a different situation.

I'll probably avoid the diaper situation... sounds like things can get a bit messy that way.

Thanks for the input.

kagey747
09-21-2008, 23:09
I've had few problems needing to "go" while submerged, but something about the sound of my drysuit zipper closing makes my bladder holler "Full!" and within 10 seconds of exiting the water I'm dancing from foot-to-foot getting my gear off and suit unsealed to make it to the head. I had planned to get a relief zipper on my next suit... the idea of using the condom catheter seems to be a hassle and uncomfortable but that's based on never having used one myself.

How about some input from those who have?

Jack Hammer
09-22-2008, 05:47

Bradley

Saved me some typing, thanks. :smiley20:

NOT drinking to avoid peeing in your drysuit is a dangerous way to dive. Flirting with dehydration is a sure way to get bent.

Get the p-valve. Simple ones can often be found for as little as $20-30, add some aquaseal and you're ready to hydrate like crazy!

Not to those who haven't installed theirs just yet: Eating some salty snacks (pretzels, etc.) just before you dive is one way to help temporarily suspend the urge to pee.

And for the women, there IS an option now. It takes a little bit of dedication, but the "she-p" has been proven highly effective by very serious technical divers at this point... so don't think you have to miss out on the p-party just because you lack the hose! :smiley36:
The prices I'm finding for P-valves are in the $150 range. Where can I find one for $20-30 and how is the quality, as in im not looking to pick up a UTI.

Thanks
Jack

JahJahwarrior
09-22-2008, 10:26
The prices I'm finding for P-valves are in the $150 range. Where can I find one for $20-30 and how is the quality, as in im not looking to pick up a UTI.

Thanks
Jack

Salvo Supply - Non-Balanced P-Valve (http://www.salvosupply.com/inc/sdetail/147)

The trick to avoiding UTI seems to be proper cleaning of the assembly, and a non balanced one is quite simple and easy to clean. I use on emade by a guy onTDS but he doesn't make them all of the time, I got lucky and snagged one on his last run :D

texdiveguy
09-22-2008, 11:03
I use HD Depends with no problem,,,,I never have liked p-valves for several reasons. Consider several options prior to a decision......regardless either the p-valve or Depends it's better than cutting a dive short or worse not taking in the proper amounts of fluid to try and avoid the issue. From a persl. observation I find I 'go' less in cold water dry suit diving than I have to in warm water wet suit diving. Several good choices in relief.....have fun.

CompuDude
09-22-2008, 14:21

Thanks
Jack

JahJah's post has my answer to this... DIY or find the guy on DecoStop next time he sells a run. He does one every few months, from what I've seen. At this price level you're looking for unbalanced, not balanced... generally.

You can also pick up second-hand (not the same as used!!!), as in they bought it but never used it and are not selling it off, if you get lucky.

The key to buying stuff used is patience, and/or luck. But mostly patience.

TommyB
09-22-2008, 23:37

In case the ladies are interested in the p-valve / setup .

She-P - The P-Valve Catheter Condom for Women (http://www.she-p.com/)

Drum Tech
09-28-2008, 10:06
Depends?

Nice! :smiley20:

For my AOW I did a drysuit dive - Rentals don't have the p-valve, so you gotta hold it.

I was worried too, but I made sure not to drink too much that morning, then hit the restroom right before we suited up, and I did fine.

How long were you in the chamber for after your dive? Not a very smart chioce and even less smart to tell this to someone asking your advice.

I have dove both ways, for me personaly I had a valve installed. I tried the diaper and got a bad rash. Now you'll hear about a UTI, I have never gotten one and I belive if your clean your equipment you shouldn't have a problem.

obrules15
09-28-2008, 12:58
Hey... if you read the title you can probably imagine that a drysuit isn't sounding too appealing to me. I live in Seattle so I hear they are really the best option for me, but there are obvious restrictions I am facing.

I'm not planning on becoming a tec diver or anything, am I cursed to get wet every time I enter the water?

Detrol LA works great and the side effects on the newer generation are really not that bad, especially for occasional use.

cummings66
09-28-2008, 22:30
For me, the Halcyon Streamlined P valve is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I can't imagine diving without it, the relief is immediate. I can also drink the proper amount of water so I'm good that way.

Dark Wolf
10-03-2008, 17:30
I ordered the balanced version from Salvo, and installed it myself. Man, am I glad I did! I had not owned my drysuit long when I put it in, but what a relief! Once you get your ummmm..........hose routing.....lined out, you should be "good to go". Hardest part of the installation was putting a hole in the leg of the suit! Had to stop and have a beer or two to get my hands to quit shaking! Good luck to ya!

DW