PDA

View Full Version : HP steel tanks worthington vs sherwood

Scotttyd
08-21-2008, 22:04
What are the differences between the worthington steel tanks and the Sherwood (made by PST?) tanks? I am comparing the HP-100 and the sherwoods are consistently a little cheaper? Why is this? Are they just as good?

Warren
08-21-2008, 23:21
I've been looking at those as well, and will stay tuned to the replies!

I generally feel that both are great tanks from what I've dug up so far.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-22-2008, 08:06
Scott, the 100s I dive with at the quarry are Sherwood/PST. I think the Worthingtons are a little better for corrosion resistance. That said my PSTs are 20+ years old and going strong. I wasn't aware that they were still being made. I picked mine up used for 50 bucks each- a pretty sweet deal.

Scotttyd
08-22-2008, 09:17
Scott, the 100s I dive with at the quarry are Sherwood/PST. I think the Worthingtons are a little better for corrosion resistance. That said my PSTs are 20+ years old and going strong. I wasn't aware that they were still being made. I picked mine up used for 50 bucks each- a pretty sweet deal.

PST went bankrupt, and now a Korean company (I believe) is producing them under the PST name, not sure if there is a difference, but the new ones are more like the worthinton's (3442 vs 3500 and with a convertible valve, not just DIN).

Thanks for reminding me of your deal, I get jelous when I see them, although they will not be seeing salt water anytime soon, right?:smiley21:

sorry, had to add that

08-22-2008, 10:10
although they will not be seeing salt water anytime soon, right?:smiley21:

sorry, had to add that

Haha, very funny. Go ahead and rub it in. See if I care :smiley13:

Scotttyd
08-22-2008, 10:32
sorry, I am an ass, aren't I? Well, I better go work, damn boss requires it

08-22-2008, 11:04
sorry, I am an ass, aren't I?

That's why I like you :smiley2:

CompuDude
08-22-2008, 12:40
Sherwood is carrying the "new" PST tanks now? This is news to me.

FWIW, the HDG finish on the original PST tanks was the best the dive industry has ever seen. A superior finish to Worthington's. Worthington's finish is definitely good (and I still prefer it to painted Faber tanks, especially for salt water), but PST was better.

Not sure how the new (?) tanks stack up, though, as I haven't seen them.

The older Sherwood/PST tanks were true 3500 psi tanks, and used a 7/8-threaded 300 bar DIN valve, with no yoke option. I've seen some newer ones on the market (I thought Sherwood was selling them, but I'm not sure now) by Asahi (look for "SPUN" on the tank) that look similar the PST tanks, but aren't. They're heavy as hell, and the finish is crap. Cheap, but notorious for having rust issues. Require some serious babying if you want them to last. I'd avoid those.

cummings66
08-22-2008, 14:14
Ditto, the old PST cylinders were very good. The first year or two were painted and then from then on it was hot dipped galvanized and painted over that. The finish was the best you could find, and even today I'd put the old ones up against any new cylinder.

But, I was not aware that you could buy new ones. I don't know if I'd trust them yet.

RoyN
08-25-2008, 22:55
Sherwood carries PST steel tanks?

Grin
08-26-2008, 10:14
Check the weights and boyancies of each. I think the Sherwood tanks are heavier than Worthingtons of the same comaprable model. But I forget. Sherwood tanks are not PSTs, I think they are Genesis. Once again I forget!

Jack Hammer
08-26-2008, 12:01
What are the differences between the worthington steel tanks and the Sherwood (made by PST?) tanks? I am comparing the HP-100 and the sherwoods are consistently a little cheaper? Why is this? Are they just as good?
The Worthington tanks are a few pounds lighter on land, are generally smaller physically, and have a better finish. Plus the bouyancy is different, you'd have to look at each size to see which is what. Like Grin, I believe the Sherwoods are Genesis, not PST.

Jack

08-26-2008, 16:58
I have Sherwoods that have the gensis label- however if you look at the stampings you can see they're manufactured by PST... I don't know anything about why this is so, but my Sherwood Genesis 100s are PSTs.

CompuDude
08-27-2008, 01:12
I have Sherwoods that have the gensis label- however if you look at the stampings you can see they're manufactured by PST... I don't know anything about why this is so, but my Sherwood Genesis 100s are PSTs.

How old are they?

I used to have a very old HP100 Sherwood tank made by PST... one of the true 3500 HP tanks.

Genesis does not manufacture tanks, btw. They're slapping their label on one made by someone else. There aren't a lot of companies out there that actually make tanks.

08-27-2008, 06:42

How old are they?

I used to have a very old HP100 Sherwood tank made by PST... one of the true 3500 HP tanks.

Genesis does not manufacture tanks, btw. They're slapping their label on one made by someone else. There aren't a lot of companies out there that actually make tanks.

They're about 20 years old. True 3500s.

CompuDude
08-27-2008, 15:36
Based on the OP's mention of pricing being consistently lower, I was under the impression he is looking at new tanks. The old Sherwoods are indeed PSTs, but as you noted, quite old at this point. Still very good tanks, but definitely not new.

To my knowledge, any new Sherwood/Genesis tanks are NOT PSTs (since there are no truly new PST tanks at this point, only a handful of old stock from a couple of years ago that they did new hydro stamps on and are moving out, unless something happened very recently that I'm unaware of). They're Asahi spun tanks.

08-27-2008, 17:11
Based on the OP's mention of pricing being consistently lower, I was under the impression he is looking at new tanks. The old Sherwoods are indeed PSTs, but as you noted, quite old at this point. Still very good tanks, but definitely not new.

To my knowledge, any new Sherwood/Genesis tanks are NOT PSTs (since there are no truly new PST tanks at this point, only a handful of old stock from a couple of years ago that they did new hydro stamps on and are moving out, unless something happened very recently that I'm unaware of). They're Asahi spun tanks.

Don't know anything about the new ones.

The OP is one of my dive buddies- I rib him a bit about picking up those tanks for 50 bucks a piece,a real "steel" if you know what I mean. He ribs me about my missus laying down the law and forbidding any more dive charters until at least December 16th. His jab is more poignant. :smiley13: But, man I love those tanks more than my Fabers. :)

cummings66
08-27-2008, 22:28
I have Sherwood and Genesis cylinders, both are made for them by PST. The newer Genesis cylinder was made by Norris, then they switched yet again to the ashai? sp and they become heavier. The original PST cylinders were quite light compared to the modern HP100's.

Jack Hammer
08-27-2008, 22:55
The Asahi cylinders seem to be fairly heavy on land for their capacity. That was one of the reasons I ponied up for some Worthingtons.

Heavy tanks do seem to encourage better air usage. The thought of lugging a 50 pound tank back and forth between dives makes you want to squeeze everybreath you can out of a tank and make it last as long as possible.

Jack

Scotttyd
08-28-2008, 18:24

I was passing on some info I heard from another diver, I have no evidence of it, anyway, I think I will wait until I find a deal on some old hydro fabers I see every couple of months in the $250 range, but then again, today was bonus day and I could pick up a new worthington for what I got???:smiley20: