PDA

View Full Version : WTB: I have nothing

dpm2000bolt
08-22-2008, 08:48
I have signed up for my classes to start next month. I am wondering what to buy, I have tons of quarries to dive here in NW ohio, I have family near Lake Cumberlin, KY and Laurel Lake, KY. Also would like to go to Flordia next year. my only piece that i have is a shorty wetsuit.

The start of my class I have to buy wetsuit boots and log book.

dpm2000bolt
08-22-2008, 08:58
I want to add I am just getting back into being back in the water since my childhood where I loved to snorkel. I only visited pools since

I do get a 20% discount when I buy anything during the class

JCAT
08-22-2008, 08:59
Well, you've come to the right place and welcome to the board. Larry and Joe have a pretty good selection, just click the "Get your Scuba Gear Here" menu at the top of the page!

dmainou
08-22-2008, 17:55
I have signed up for my classes to start next month. I am wondering what to buy, I have tons of quarries to dive here in NW ohio, I have family near Lake Cumberlin, KY and Laurel Lake, KY. Also would like to go to Flordia next year. my only piece that i have is a shorty wetsuit.

The start of my class I have to buy wetsuit boots and log book.

Buy nothing at this point in time... try as many different pieces of gear as you can, form an opinion and then buy....

I and others have spent sooooo much money in gear we regret.

dpm2000bolt
08-22-2008, 18:46
my cousin has a mask I think it is an oceanic Bi U4 where you can view downward I like it but looked for it on site.
it is like 180 degree viewable say you can be facing forward but still see your chest.

anyone know what I am looking for?

rktman26
08-22-2008, 18:50
I'd say wait on buying anything big until you have the opportunity to try different setups.

I didn't, and much like other people who bought too soon, I regret some of the early purchases I made.

Black-Gorrilla
08-22-2008, 22:37
Buy nothing at this point in time... try as many different pieces of gear as you can, form an opinion and then buy....

best advice i ever heard!!! buy the bare necessities now (boots, mask etc..) and spend time trying a bunch of different stuff (the more the merrier) cause every time i try new stuff im like "damn... i wish i tried that first and then bought stuff"

K9Pig
08-23-2008, 01:47
You just need to pay for it first...:smiley2:

Really good advice form above... Purchase your personal dive gear, ie. boots, mask, fins, and snorkel. Then test dive the heck out of equipment...

Vercingetorix
08-23-2008, 07:41
As others have so eloquently stated, buy nothing (beyond mask, snorkel, fins, mask) regardless of the 20% discount. Even with that discount ScubaToys may best their prices given the 10% discount.

Then, if you're happy with their class work, I'm certain they'll extend the 20% discount during your next class. Between classes, rent a variety of gear. Then, you can make an informed decision

dmainou
08-24-2008, 03:54
You just need to pay for it first...:smiley2:

Really good advice form above... Purchase your personal dive gear, ie. boots, mask, fins, and snorkel. Then test dive the heck out of equipment...

I would say that it would be gr8 if you can get away without even buying that basic gear.

I'm sure that for most it will be a non event but?
Fins: open heel? jet fins? split fins, rubber or plastic? Rubber straps, quick release or spring?
Mask: Low profile, wide angle, etc etc?
clear or black? And that is a relevant q if you plan to take good pictures or have to estimate distances. (i.e. spearo)
Which booties and why?
Snorkel... foldable? or usable?

So many dollars down the drain.... get someone to lend you or rent you a LOT of gear before you buy.

dpm2000bolt
08-25-2008, 11:22
Well I am waiting to go thru my Class so I can try the gear out I got a Mask, Snorkel and booties. I tried the different booties and found the ones that Fit me the best as she was telling the prices and My thoughts are it is not a matter of price but what fits me the best.. as far as fins that is something that i want to try many on, The great thing is that they have tons of gear to rent and it is under 50 bucks... Even found a diving partner that is looking forward to getting back into the water... thanks all for the advise to try everything a few times.. as that is what I am going to do.... glad the have tons of gear to sort thru

georoc01
08-25-2008, 14:31
For mask fins and booties, that is definitely the way to go. Find out what fits you best. There are different fin technologies, but what is most important is comfort.

There are tradeoffs in the try before you buy approach. I found that sizing was a factor for me. Also rental gear gets much more use and abuse than my gear which I know when it was serviced last.

And just because you try a bunch of stuff doesn't mean that what you buy after that process may not change down the road as your diving evolves. I know I am now replacing gear as I begin to take on further challenges that I wouldn't have imagined a year ago. I don't regret my initial purchases, its just that I need different gear now than I did a year ago.

MSilvia
08-25-2008, 14:55
One other possibility, aside from renting, is to buy inexpensive used gear and upgrade as you learn what you like/don't like and as you can afford to upgrade. It doesn't get you the "buffet" of choices rental gear might, but it does get you in the water fast without a big initial outlay of funds. When you outgrow the gear you're using, you can always sell it... probably for close to what you paid.

dmainou
08-25-2008, 18:38
One other possibility, aside from renting, is to buy inexpensive used gear and upgrade as you learn what you like/don't like and as you can afford to upgrade. It doesn't get you the "buffet" of choices rental gear might, but it does get you in the water fast without a big initial outlay of funds. When you outgrow the gear you're using, you can always sell it... probably for close to what you paid.

I would probably second that....

Most of the nicer gear is not available for rent. You will need to borrow it from someone.

In the mean time buy something used. My first set of regs was a 20 year old set of Apex regs. They worked perfectly for 6 years more until I had the opportunity to save for the regs I actually wanted.

Those new high performance regs.... :smiley20:. The q remains which won do YOU really like. Apex, Scubapro, Zeagle, Oceanic, etc.

PS. Don't buy Oceanic as they always incorporate parts that only oceanic uses and therefore it is expensive to service and the piece may not be available everywhere. e.g. The hose and ball joint of the FDX/delta 4 is not standard so if you need to replace the hose.... you can't buy a 20 dollar standar hose (or an expensive one if you choose to ) you have to buy the oceanic one.

Cheers

srhtech
08-26-2008, 11:31
Starting with used gear is a good idea. Just talk to people about the gear that they are using. Read reviews and take your time.

bottomdweller
08-27-2008, 22:02

I agree, Here is a really good looking used deal right here on this board!
http://forum.scubatoys.com/used-stuff-sale/16692-st-dacor-package.html

It won't break the bank, ST will service, (If no one else) good beginner setup.:smiley20:

Melkus
09-12-2008, 17:41
Not sure what all you need now aday but when I started the only things required that we needed to buy was a mask and our fins all the rest of the gear was included in the course.