PDA

View Full Version : Dungeness meat hunt.

Rocky Heap
08-22-2008, 13:47
I've had great luck crabbing this year at Mukiteo, anyone else grabbed a good dinner..........our crab dives are meat hunts, a nice change from just looking at underwater sea life........we've hosted some great crab feeds for friends and family.....

ohiodiver
09-03-2008, 07:22
I just did some crabbing off whidbey island.................camped and enjoyed surf and turf many nights around the campfire.................good stuff

drako
09-03-2008, 07:48
Dungeness crab is damn delicious. Do you have any pics?

ohiodiver
09-03-2008, 08:05
no real good pics, my photo equipment is pretty limited..................got some sore thumbs, those guys have some strong claws....................

cmburch
09-03-2008, 10:36
I do my share of crabbing off the California Coast and also in the Chesapeake Bay. I love crab cakes, crab soup, crab cioppino, French and Chinese styles fried crab, etc. I use traps with chicken or fish parts. I have only seen a few while diving.

ohiodiver
09-03-2008, 11:33
I've seen quite a few around crab traps while diving......................beware of bubbles around your traps..................

WASP7000
12-17-2009, 18:22
I realize this is an old post, but I just got OW certified and am dying to chase after some dungeness crabs. Maybe someone can show me around? I'm in Olympia.

I've crabbed plenty with pots but I want to pick my catch. ;)

Rocky Heap
12-17-2009, 19:11
pictures are worth a 1000's words.........

PM me next spring/summer when they're in season if you want to dive for them in the north end at Mukilteo

:smilie40::smilie40::smilie40:

WASP7000
12-18-2009, 22:28
Sweet, I'm in. Great pics too. Hopefully me and the girlfriend will have all our own gear by then.

Beefcake
12-21-2009, 16:23
I've seen quite a few around crab traps while diving......................beware of bubbles around your traps..................
I've been thinking of dropping a crab trap or tying bait to my boat anchor and then diving for the crabs. We pick up a few here and there when shore diving, but I'd like to get them concentrated into an area to harvest them by hand. However, I'm still having a little trouble coordinating measuring them and getting them in the bag. I need a 3rd hand.

Someone mentioned sore thumbs from getting pinched; Dungies usually can't pinch you if you pick them up right (2 fingers on the back shell and thumb on the lower abdomen between the hind legs), but red rock crabs are apparently double-jointed, and they have some powerful claws!

RogerAg
12-21-2009, 17:07
pictures are worth a 1000's words.........

PM me next spring/summer when they're in season if you want to dive for them in the north end at Mukilteo

:smilie40::smilie40::smilie40:

Hi Rocky Heap; How do you attach thumbnails?

I have a funny story to tell:
Our Dive club is from Vancouver Washington but we mostly go north for our dives. One year we went south to Barview Oregon One of our members found the mother load of Dungeness Crabs. After sexing and measuring she filled up her goodie bag with so many Crabs that she could hardly swim with it. On her way back to shore with her cache, She soddenly realized that She did not have a licence so She let them all go. I had the sad duty to tell her.
AT THAT TIME OREGON DID NOT REQUIRE A LICENCE FOR CRABS :smilie39:

WASP7000
12-22-2009, 11:27
I would have cried after hearing that there was no license required.

inverselogic
04-13-2010, 16:29
Did some crabbing in Netarts Bay during spring break with my uncle. Its like 10 minutes from downtown Tillamook, Oregon. Had a buddy drive us about a half mile up the road during outgoing low tide. Just drifted along snatching them up :smiley20: . At the end we popped up near the boat ramp and our cars and watched the hungry eyes of traditional crabbers with their empty pots :smiley19: . They were small (off season) but good eatin.