PDA

View Full Version : Knife for my BCD

reaver
07-11-2007, 01:39
Anybody know where to find a knife that can be attached to a Seaquest balance BCD? The BCD has grommets for attaching a knife but I have not been able to find a knife that I can be attached to it. Thanks.

Joew
07-11-2007, 02:16
The Wenoka squeeze lock knife is designed to fit the grommets on seaquest BCDs. This is the knife that comes with their higher priced BCDs like the Pro Unlimited. The UK Remora and Fusiler knives will also fit the Balance, and they come with the necessary hardware to mount them (two thumbweels that screw into the bach of the sheath). Scubatoys carries both of the UK knives.

RonFrank
07-11-2007, 11:04
Think outside the box a bit. I've never met an accessory that I could not mount to a BC with a bolt snap, ziptie, or bungee! smileys/smiley1.gif

I'm sure the folks at ST's could answer this question!

CompuDude
07-11-2007, 19:52
Just beware that the UK hydroalloy knives could rust. I just read a thread somewhere discussing this, someone with a new knife with 3 dives on it already showing signs of rust. So much for increased rust resistance! If you want something you can truly attach and forget, look at titanium.

Joew
07-12-2007, 20:13
I have a hydroalloy knife that I've taken on over 200 dives, all salt water, and it doesn't have any rust on it. I agree that titanium knives are great, but with proper care any decent knife should last a while.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 20:31
(double post)

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 20:32
I have a hydroalloy knife that I've taken on over 200 dives, all salt water, and it doesn't have any rust on it. I agree that titanium knives are great, but with proper care any decent knife should last a while.
But that's the whole point: I don't want to give it proper care. Else why pay extra for titanium? I want zero maintenance. And the only knives I've seen reported on that reliably offer that are titanium and H1. The HydroAlloy bills itself as being rust-free "like" titanium, but I have at least one verified report that it can rust after just a few dives if you don't care for it properly. As opposed to a titanium knife... there's no way to rust one of those outside of a chemical lab.

Zero maintenance. That's what I'm willing to pay more for. If I wanted to care for a knife properly I'd get a sweet high carbon blade that takes an edge like a dream, costs little, but rusts if you breath on it, and I'd maintain the heck out of it.

cummings66
07-12-2007, 20:46
Zero maintenance, that describes my steak knife.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Honestly, the steak knife works extremely well and doesn't need to be taken care of. Mine never leaves the sheath and it's still as rust free as the day I made it. Seriously, try it, you'll like it. Just google DIR and steak knife to see how you make it, it works and is a simple solution.</DIV>

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 20:49
Zero maintenance, that describes my steak knife.
<div></div>
<div>Honestly, the steak knife works extremely well and doesn't need to be taken care of. Mine never leaves the sheath and it's still as rust free as the day I made it. Seriously, try it, you'll like it. Just google DIR and steak knife to see how you make it, it works and is a simple solution.</div>
I'm quite familiar with them. :-)

I just prefer things... prettier.

And I have a titanium knife I'm VERY happy with... I only wish ScubaToys carried it!

http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/images/H-meeser.JPG

Admittedly, I'm (a) one of those people that loses gear very rarely, and (b) affluent enough (relatively) that I can afford to replace it (without anything worse than being personally annoyed with myself) should I manage to lose it.