PDA

View Full Version : Mares Abyss Service Issues

uncjump
08-12-2007, 20:14
Anyone had problems getting an 05 abyss and proton octo serviced and tuned right? In the shop both test out fine (elevation 500ft) but back home (elevation 2200) both freeflow slightly. Orignal problem was the octo was sensitive to free flowing on the surface to 3-4 ft. They have been to the shop twice and have had all major parts replaced including the hp poppet and have been tuned to an IP of 150 and 140 with no luck.

I've been careful with submerging the regular fully to begin with, but problem does resolve by 5ft.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Black-Gorrilla
08-12-2007, 20:17
so it freeflows, but only till 5 ft. deep?

uncjump
08-20-2007, 18:43
Correct....However I found another thread where Larry outlined snd stage tuning and it was very simple. I always hesitate to monkey with "important" devices unless I fully understand what is going on. That being said, I'm surprised how simple regulators are and how easy they are to work on slightly..

I checked IP and it was 145 and then with purge depressed slightly turned the reg adjust clockwise I believe and it quit freeflowing on surface (of water bucket) and still breathed the same. Then I turned it back to original position and it freeflowed, so it seemed like I was moving in the correct direction. I tested it in the pool and seemed like everything worked.

More great advice from the Scuba Gurus at Scuba Toys!