PDA

View Full Version : St Thomas Hotel Recommendation

Necklinsberg
08-24-2008, 18:10
Wife & I stayed at the small hotel "The Green Iguana" above Charlotte Amalie (The Green Iguana - A hotel in St. Thomas, USVI (http://thegreeniguana.com)).

Reasonably priced (incl taxes the room was $130 per night off season (summer)). Clean, family owned & run. Rooms on the smaller side compared to the resorts (or typical Holiday Inn, Hampton etc.) but are well kept. We had a full kitchen so we didn't have to eat out every meal (kitchen came w/implements & utensils, all we had to buy was food). There is a court yard area with lots of shade for relaxing and watching the iguanas and other things.

It's on hill overlooking Charlotte Amalie and on the road to Magen's Beach.

You can walk to town, but may want to take a taxi back (unless you like aerobic hill & step climbing (or your wife shames you into 'enjoying the atmosphere')). We had rental car so getting around on the island was easy (once you get used to driving on the wrong side).

You will need a car or a taxi to get to the dive shop and boats in Havensite.

Not for the resort minded (we have also stayed at Mariott Frenchman's) but a good value for those who don't need / like schedules and crowds of tourists and can entertain themselves.

Owners were very useful in helping us schedule things around the ship arrivals (ie doing things in other places than C A when th tour boats were docked). We felt like we get the most out of our trip without being crowded or rushed.

Rileybri
08-24-2008, 23:49
Ya my recommendation is stay away from St.Thomas (aside from flying in and out of there) and stay on St.John! same diving location allot less crowds and craziness. if ya want to go shopping take the $5 ferry over to STT and have at it. I highly recommend Maho Bay camps (Maho.org - Two Green Resorts on St. John, US Virgin Islands (USVI) - Maho Bay Camps - Green Resorts on St. John, US Virgin Islands (USVI) (http://www.maho.org)) or for a bit more $$$ and amenities Concordia Estates (you would need a rental car but it is SOOOOOOO worth it!) Both spots can arrange any diving you may want to do as well.

go to Larries Landing and ask for an STJ iced tea!!!!!

Monkeylemon
08-25-2008, 15:08
St. Thomas is so much more crowded and unpleasant than St. John. I totally recommend this gem of an island.