PDA

View Full Version : Quarry in Monroe Michigan

BusDiver
08-12-2007, 19:38
Hey All,

Has anyone on this board gone for a swim in the Monroe Quarry. I know it just opened for divers. www.divemonroe.

On another board there has been some discussion, including the owners providing some info. I was heading that way today but decided to dive with my next door neighbor at Spring Mill (I wish we went down but the neighbor could not find his c-card).

Seems like an interesting place. I would be interested to hear some feed back.

BusDiver
08-15-2007, 07:26
One of the guy's from my dive club and I are heading down to this quarry after work. Should be there by 5:30 today. Let me know if anyone is interested in a dive.

reservecops
08-15-2007, 19:51
Perhaps next time, but I need more notice than that day! :)

downunder
08-15-2007, 20:53
Good change we are going Saturday. Was it any good?

BusDiver
08-15-2007, 21:15
Viz is a little rough around the boat ramp. You can put in off the wall about a hundred yards down from the ramp. The viz is supposed to be better in that area. There is a submerged building off the boat ramp, we could not find it. There are trees everywhere and they create this neat visual effect underwater. It is almost erie. The folks who run the place are very nice and will bend over backwards to help you out. They are running a truck back to the shop for air fills.

Enjoy this site now. Houses are being built up, divers will knock the trees down, etc. I was there with my buddy and there were three other divers in the water. 157 acres of water and 5 people swimming. The deepest part of the quarry is 140 feet.

Overall we loved it. I am off to Maine tomorrow afternoon. I will be back in two weeks. I plan on diving there all day on the 1st. I hope others head out there (not to many) and enjoy some neat diving.

downunder
08-16-2007, 07:20
Maybe we can also make it on the 1st. Still trying to plan around this weekend, but is is getting crazy. We are heading to Key Largo FL on the 23d for a week of diving.

I really don't like their website! Links don't work, no map, no good information. Someone needs to trade some iving for a new decent website for them! Things like that building should be laid out (along with other goodies) on the website so you can easily print off a map to make a dive plan. Oh well! Maybe it's just because I manage web development that it bothers me....

BusDiver
08-16-2007, 10:40
I agree that the website is rough. The quarry has only been open for a few months. I know an instructor out of Bruno's is diving it on a regular basis (good for him and taking advantage of the lack of divers). The best directions I could find and figured out were get off at exit 15. Take Dixie Hwy to Elm St (or you could to Front) take a right. Go to Monroe St and take a left. Take that down to Dunbar and take a left. You will follow the quarry around (it is on your left hand side). After a few lefts on streets you will see a sign that says "Quarry Closed." That is for swimmers. It is open for divers. If you go on a weekday make sure you call ahead so someone will be there.

If you need air fills they are running tanks back to the shop and filling them up. This is right outside of Monroe (less then a mile to food and beer). Monroe is a nice town. Non-divers can find a lot to do in the area. Unlike Gilboa/Portage, there is stuff right there.

Umm, jealous about Key Largo. What operation are you diving with?

downunder
08-16-2007, 11:43
Hmmmm... no airfills onsite? That's gonna have to change to work out! What is the name of their dive shop? With the right marketing and facilities, it could be a real hit though.

Not sure on the Key Largo dive packages yet. I have been doing some research and watching posting, but have not made my mind up yet.

BusDiver
08-16-2007, 12:54
The shop is right down the street. They will be moving the shop to the quarry by next spring. The area needs to be developed. It is really a rustic site. If you want, I am sure you can run your own tanks up to watch them do their fills.

Side note and probably should be it's own thread--Check out HMS Minnow, Pleasure Diver, and Horizon Divers in Key Largo. Jeff runs the Minnow. Great Captain, small boat (no head), small operation. He will have you out on the reef and done with dive number 1 before the big ops leave harbor. Many times it will be you and your dive buddy on the boat, that is it. You call the dives, pick the spots. No time limits, he goes my psi, not by hour. I hate being told to be back on the boat in an hour if I am diving in 30 feet of water. Come on, that is like a thousand plus psi left.

Jan runs pleasure diver. She cooks for you and provides the same set up as Jeff. If you like she will dive with you. She rocks as a guide. Beautiful boat.

Horizon is a big operator. Nice boat and very professional. For the bigger boats I like these guys. You giant stride off a large pontoon boat.

Sorry everyone else, like I said, it could be it's own thread "Midwest Divers take over Key Largo"

cummings66
08-16-2007, 14:52
Hmmmm... no airfills onsite? That's gonna have to change to work out!

Why? There are dozens of sites with no onsite air fills. It only affects your planning. Typically when I dive Table Rock lake I use Nitrox and that means there is no onsite air for me. So, my SI is spent going to Scuba Sports and getting my tanks filled. I have 3 tanks and will normally get about 6 dives out of them with the common buddy, but after the dives I have to get them filled.

When I have one tank I get the fill during the SI.

downunder
08-16-2007, 16:10
Why that is my point exactly.... in order to be a "thriving" querry like Gilboa or Portage, you have to cater to the masses... including all those students who typically do not have three tanks. I agree if you have a couple of tanks, you can have a great day. But with so many classes doing 4 dives the first day for OW and that being an important part of the revenue etc... it just helps A LOT!

BusDiver
08-16-2007, 18:54
Ahhh, here is the real question. Do you care about having to wait for a tank to show up or spend your SI getting a tank filled when there are maybe 30 divers in a body of water, or being able to lug your tank up to the shop on sight and have over 200 divers in the water?

Next year the shop should be open. Right now enjoy the issue that there is very few of us on a big body of water.

boat
08-26-2007, 08:51
Bus,

Have you been back down there? I don't know if you and I discussed this on SB or not but you'd like the southwest corner of the quarry. Great wall dive and there's an area with trees (and fish). Excellent visibility over in that protected corner. Me and Brandon did 51 minutes over there. (Of course Brandon probably only used half his tank.)

BusDiver
08-26-2007, 21:57
Without being down there I cannot get my bearings. Which corner or area is the boat ramp?

My wife and I will be down there on Saturday diving and getting used to new drysuits. We should be there for most of the day. I am hoping to get in about four dives.

If anyone is down there diving stop by. I should be diving out of a 1968 VW Poptop (if my mechanic is down with it's six month tune up). If I am not in the bus we will be either in a Vanagon or a Jeep with a bunch of dive stickers on it.

Stop by and say hi. We probably will grab beers in town after the dive.

boat
08-27-2007, 12:30
http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl

Bus,

Hopefully the above link will take you to a Google map of the quarry. Take a look at the satellite image. The boat ramp is along the northeast side of the quarry. LaPlaisance Rd.

boat
08-27-2007, 12:33
The link seems to center a bit west of the quarry for me. Zoom out three clicks and switch to the satellite view and you should see it.

BusDiver
08-27-2007, 14:41
I have a mental visual. Did you all take the boat out there? There will be four of us out there on Saturday morning. I just spoke with my VW mechanic in Waterford and he told me the bus should be up and running for Saturday's dive.

boat
08-27-2007, 15:46
Yes you have to take the boat out but I think it's worth it.

I tried the link from home and it gives you a map of the whole US. If you zoom in on Monroe and click the satellite view the quarry is quite large and right in town. Kind of easy to pick out. Have a good time Saturday - I'll be at a football game.

downunder
08-30-2007, 20:30
We are considering going down Sunday. Still nothing more on the website about the location. Is there ANYTHING to explore down there? Cars, planes, boats, etc???? Looking for something to see at lesser depths until the warmer suites come. Thanks!

BusDiver
08-30-2007, 21:34
There is a cessna, a few boats, a building off of the boat ramp. I am told that you can still do shallow dives off of the pontoon boat. I am not sure but will experience it on Saturday. You can send Brandon an email off of the divemonroe site and he will give you a better idea. I will try to post more on Saturday.

boat
08-31-2007, 16:22
If anybody needs a buddy for Monday or Tuesday (possibly Sunday), let me know.

BusDiver
08-31-2007, 21:20
Tuesday may be a possibility. I am taking the day off from work. If the wife does not notice I can scoot down for a tank or two. Also, the hangover factor will come into play. Party saturday night, Sunday, and monday. Oh my head.

I am heading down tomorrow at 8 am. I will have my Bus with me. If anyone is there drop by.

BusDiver
09-02-2007, 20:09
The wife an I had three wonderful dives on saturday. We met two friends who only dive a few dives per year. After our first dive another car load showed up. Turns out it was a divemaster I know who dives out of my LDS and his buddy. Later in the day two more divers show up and do one tank. So, if my math works here, that is 4 plus 2 plus 2 equals ten divers on a saturday in a big ass body of water. We were geeked. I told my crew to expect thirty to forty divers but it was not to be. Oh well.

Kudos to Brandon and his crew for being very helpful. They actually ran back and forth to my bus to drop off or get weights. They helped people in and out of the water. It was almost like a charter.

Unfortunately I will not be down there for a couple of weeks. I have silly dives to do at Spring Mill next weekend (wish one of my instructor's would sack up and head down to Monroe so we can go past 30 feet) and then to Tobermory for long weekend with the wife and the dive club.

boat
09-03-2007, 09:15
Bus,

I'd like to go down there Tuesday but I need a buddy. Sure you can't make it?

seacow12
09-12-2007, 23:16
i talked to Brandon this afternoon, he said that Friday 14 @ 5ish or 6pm (which is great because i get off work at 4pm) they're going to have a cook out/clean up of the quarry,

so, anyone wanna dive on Friday????