PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the forehead when descending

neugierig
08-25-2008, 04:04
Hi, hope someone can help me out with this problem.

During my last two dive trips, i have had some pain inside the forehead area. This pain comes when I descend, and slowly goes away when I go up a couple of feet. Its not 'blinding' pain, but enough to almost make me call off the dive.

I've never had thsi problem before, and equalizing helps a little but, but the pain's still there.

as a background, the last couple of dive trips, i just got through a bout of nasal allergies. So I'm thinking that i still had some mucus in my nasal passages in my sinus area.

do i need to haave a doc look at this? Im hoping that before my next dive trip i'll have this figured out. any comments, suggestions would be appreciated!:smiley20:

navyhmc
08-25-2008, 05:21
It sounds like you are the proud father of a bouncing baby sinus infection. You are doing an excellent job of perfectly describing a sinus squeeze.

Definitely talk with your doctor and see what need s to be done. It could be that you need a round of antibiotics to help you out.

Some folks are wary of sudaphed, but outside of nitrox and exotic gasses, it is still a good OTC med to help. Keep in mind that if you take it and it wears off while at depth, the ascent could be very painful and very slow.

Going to see your doctor is a wise course of action.

WV Diver
08-25-2008, 05:48
Definitely sinus squeeze. I get this just above my right eye once in a while. Usually when water temps start cooling off and get below about 70*F. When it finally opens up I can hear the pressure relieving and the sinus open. It is nothing that I worry about myself, it has been happening for years.

Never hurts to ask the doc though. I suppose a sinus infection is always possible, though it sounds more like a temporary condition that may go away when your get your head cleared up completely.

cmburch
08-25-2008, 07:16
I have had it a couple of times. It was a sinus infection with no noticeable nasal drip. I also had problems on airplanes and some equilibrium problems. I went to the doctors and he gave me some meds to clear it up. This has happened twice in the past 8 years. I now take time released sudafed when boating/diving and Afrin on airplanes. See the doctor first to clear up the problem if you have yellow or green snot. It is some type of clogging.

scubarobin
08-25-2008, 08:20
just fluid in air pockets of your sinuses. If it isn't major, take non-drowsy sudafed, if it is a problem see your doctor. I have this occasionally depending on pollen, etc.

Be careful using Sudafed. For me it doesn't last as long when diving (the 6-8 hour dosage is really 4 hours). So that means I have to take it in the am, then again at lunch if I am diving all day. I didn't do this once (diving with a mild cold) and had it wear off under water..... bad bad bad sinus squeeze on ascending! It felt like I had a knife stuck between my eyes! I was almost crying into my mask and didn't know what happened. I apparently bruised the inside of sinus passages as the air pockets expanded (this was DAN's assessment of my symptoms when I called them the next day). I had a headache for almost a month while it healed. I won't make that mistake again!

robin:smiley20:

neugierig
08-25-2008, 22:53
thanks to everyone who responded. appreciate your input!

I'm gonna see a doc this weekend to get this sinus thing figured out.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-26-2008, 07:02
Don't ignore. I was coughing up dried blood for a couple weeks after diving through a sinus squeeze (cold had not completely cleared up). The good thing was that when the sinus wall broke, the pain went away. The bad thing was that my mask filled with blood on the way back up. It was the stupidest thing I've done while diving. Thankfully I did not get an infection afterward.

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 20:00
It probably is a sinus condition unless you were eating ice cream on descent.