PDA

View Full Version : List Your TOP 5 wrecks

frozenwarp
08-25-2008, 11:52
LIST YOUR TOP 5

whether you have dived them or not, if you have dived some perhaps mention some details that make them qualify for the list

Interested to see what people have in theirs

Ok in no particular order

1. President Coolidge (Vanuatu)
2. Mikael Lermitov (New Zealand)
3. Andrea Doria (USA)
4. S.S. Yongala (Australia)
5. ????

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-25-2008, 14:20
Don't seem to be a lot of wreck divers on this board.

I don't yet have any favorites. I've been diving the wrecks off North Carolina this year. They're all so new to me that I still find them all terrific dives, even the artificial reefs.

skdvr
08-25-2008, 17:01
Well I have only been on 5 different wrecks.

1. The Willie (Lake Michigan)
2. Milwaukee Car Ferry (Lake Michigan)
3. #6 Dredge (Lake Michigan)
4. Zebulon Pike or The General depending on who you talk to (Table Rock Lake)
5. Little Cabin Cruiser (Table Rock Lake)

There are LOTS that I want to see, but I cannot name them as favorites becuase I have never been there...

Phil

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 22:42
1. Yongala AUS
2. Collidge VAN
3. Lermintov NZ
4. Tui NZ
5. Clan Mc William Vava'u, Tonga.

chinacat46
09-05-2008, 08:29
Sorry but I can't consider a wreck a favorite until I've dived it so here is my fav list of ones I've dived.

1. Shinkoku Maru(Chuuk)
2. Fujikawa Maru(Chuuk)
3. Yongala(Oz)
4. Spiegel Grove(FL Keys)
5. Liberty(Bali, Indonesia)

Honorable mention: Rainbow Warrior(NZ)

gbrdiver
09-05-2008, 09:08
San Francisco Maru (Truk)
President Coolidge (Vanuatu)
Fujikawa Maru (Truk)
USS New York (Philippines)
Aikoku Maru (Truk)

as an aside, the USAT Liberty Glo wreck at Bali mentioned above - despite having no remaining artifacts or any available penetrations is one the all-time best night dives IMHO

chinacat46
09-05-2008, 09:37
I like it for the marine life. Didn't get the opportunity to do a night dive on it though.

Travelnsj
09-05-2008, 11:15
1. Caribsea- North Carolina
2. Liberty Wreck- Bali
3. Rio De Janeiro Maru-Truk.....Tie for #3 is the Helmet wreck in Palau
4. Jake Plane-Palau
5. Betty Bomber-Truk

Would like to do the Yongala in OZ on a calm day! and the Bush wreck in Palau.

BSea
09-05-2008, 11:44
I really like the Artificial Reefs in the Keys. I know they aren't really considered wrecks, and some day I'd like to go to the south pacific & see the wrecks in Palau & Truk.

For me, the best are

Duane
Spiegle Grove
Eagle
Bibb
Oriskany

I'd like to dive the Vandenburg if it's ever sunk.

bubble-head
09-05-2008, 13:24
1. SMS Cormoran-Guam
2. Tokai Maru (These two are the only two wrecks touching each other from both World Wars) Guam
3. John Morgan-VA Beach
4. U-352-N.C.
5. Tug Wreck-VA Beach

gbrdiver
09-05-2008, 21:49
The SMS Cormoron and Tokai Maru certainly deserve to be on any list...shame the vis in Apra Harbour where these wrecks sit is normally not so good. The Rio de Janeiro Maru in Truk was one of my favorites until a couple of months ago - this is now the fastest deteriorating wreck in the lagoon and one of the most dangerous. I missed being taken out by part of the falling promenade deck by a matter of seconds.

scubarobin
09-06-2008, 17:45
favorite wrecks we have done:
1. Iro Wreck, Palau (covered in growth -coral, sponges, clams, etc. like no other wreck I have ever seen!)
2. Spiegel Grove, Fla (when it was on its side, would like to do it again now it is upright)
3. Hilma Hooker, Bonaire (really nice to shore dive such a nice wreck and dozens of tarpon patrolling around)
4. any of the wrecks off Ft. Lauderdale-Boynton Bch stretch, all very encrusted with life, lots of fish, orange cup coral, and blennies.
5. ....

would love to do:
Truk Lagoon wrecks
Oriskany in Fla
NC wreck alley
San Diego wreck alley

Diveaholic
09-13-2008, 01:09
I have only dove on three wrecks:
a navy barge in Destin Fl
the Dema Trader in Miami
Speigel Grove Key Largo, twice (my favorite)
and the City of Washington in Key Largo but it is really just some remains of it so I don't really consider that a wreck

mobeeno
09-13-2008, 10:08
Dove Spiegel Grove once and hooked

DiverD66
09-21-2008, 11:24
I dont have any favorites , yet!!!! I did read a book on the Andrea Dorea an DONT think I will be diving that one!! :smilie39: If anyone knows of any US wrecks that would be good for a beginner, please let me know (you can email me too!)....
Happy Bubbling!!:smiley20:

IrishSquid
09-21-2008, 11:53
Let's see, my favorite wrecks: I had an old POS '63 Ford Econoline van, a even better wreck was the Ford Galaxie 500. :smiley36:
Ohhhhhh.. that I've dived.
Only a few so far, but here they are: The Hyde and the Markham off the NC coast. Some un-named debris off Key Largo, and multitudes of junk in the rivers and quarries I've dived.

PlatypusMan
09-21-2008, 13:22
Bianca C. in Grenada.

PPM

georoc01
09-21-2008, 14:06
Of my limited wreck diving, the U352 off of North Carolina for its history
Most recently the Aguilla off of Roatan, was a cool dive too for its very friendly groupers

Rileybri
09-21-2008, 14:15
I have only been on the wrecks in Lake Champlain VT/NY but for now they are plenty for me to explore. There is so much history in this lake and we have a well set up and maintained Under Water Historic Preserve (http://www.lcmm.org/shipwrecks_history/uhp/uhp.htm) Including the only known Scandinavian horse powered ferry, Benedict Arnold's flag ship from the first battle of the American Revolution, and many more. This winter I hope to dive sevoral wrecks in the Virgan Islands when we go back down this winter with the wreck of the Rohne.

MDDIVER
09-21-2008, 14:19
How about all the sunken stuff at my local dive spot does that count. JK. I would like to find a list off wrecks inc. art. reefs that are available. I know someone posted a site http://www.thewrecksite.com/wrecksite.aspx that was cool to review but not a real list of places to dive that would be fun.

Krakenn
09-22-2008, 00:14
Hmm hard one

Sanfrancisco Maru - Chuuk
SS Yongala - Queensland
HMAS Swan - Western Australia
Semele - Vanuatu
Amphibious Bomber Jpn (Porcupine) Chuuk

Kraks

zer0
09-23-2008, 06:51
USS Aaron Ward (Solomon Is)
Coolidge (Vanuatu)
Tama Maru (Solomon Is)
Yongala (Oz)
Barcoola (Oz)

EAN3236
09-30-2008, 18:59
Speigal grove- FL Keys
Oriniskey- Pensacola FL
Captian Dan- Pompano Beach FL
Duane- FL Keys
Bibb- FL keys

LRDWILDER
10-01-2008, 21:56
Speigal Grove -FL
Duane -FL
Bibb - FL
Eagle - FL
Hilma Hooker - Bonaire

nikefreekz
10-08-2008, 23:17
not much of a wreck diver myself but the USS Liberty off Tulamben, Bali is pretty impressive

TRACI
10-09-2008, 17:28
My list is very short since I have only did one wreck - Hilma Hooker in Bonaire.

beperkins
10-17-2008, 14:00
1. Oriskany
2. Zeb Pike
3. Queen Anne's Revenge
4. C-53
5. Speigel Grove

ScubaDude
10-28-2008, 21:58
All 5 of my favorites are in NC

U-352
Papoose
Schurz
Caribsea
Ashkibad

jeepbrew
11-01-2008, 21:56
Oriskany
The Eagle
U-352
Papoose
Spar

shawnwill36
11-03-2008, 04:53
how deep is the andrea doria?

ScubaDude
11-03-2008, 21:44
Like the Empress of Ireland, the Andrea Doria lies within reach of serious divers, but it is not a place for the faint of heart. The ship lies on her side at a depth of about 250 feet in an area where the underwater weather can change suddenly from clear and calm to a ripping current filled with sediment. Fishing nets drape the hull, but even more treacherous is the invisible web of tough monofilament fishing line in which fins or tanks can easily become caught. In the warren of cold, dark rooms and corridors that form the dead ship's interior, a diver can easily become hopelessly lost. And then there are the sharks.

That was copied and pasted from PBS online.

PBS Online - Lost Liners - Andrea (http://www.pbs.org/lostliners/andrea.html)

James1010
11-06-2008, 19:34
The best wreck dive I have been to is the C56 coast gaurd cutter that is in Puerto Morales Mexico. It is the best wreck divein Mexico. It has all three decks accesible to diving. You can find out more and set up a getaway with Wetset Divers in Cancun. Great hotels and great shopping and most of all great diving.
Wet Set Water Adventures of Mexico..the best little PADI dive center in the Mexican Caribbean (http://www.wetset.com)

2thdivr
11-06-2008, 19:34
USS Bass RI.
U-853 RI.
Lightburn RI.
Pinthis MA.
Bayronyo Fl.

a Newenglander now in FL.

deepstop
11-30-2008, 15:03
Most of my dives are wreck dives but only a couple outside my local area, including the Mercedes off Ft. Lauderdale which was fun. Around here I like:

1. Forest City (in Georgian Bay)
2. Arabia (also in Georgian Bay)
3. Niagara II (where else, Georgian Bay)
4. Daryaw (St. Lawrence River)
5. Keystorm (St. Lawrence River)

Lots of others around here. We're trying to put a trip together to the Mighty O in January so I hope this list will change soon.

imfreeagle
12-06-2008, 03:19
Only been on one wreck so its the best so far!!!
C-53

scubarobin
12-18-2008, 12:02
I have to update my choices:
1. Iro Wreck, Palau
2. Prince Albert, Roatan (in front yard at CCV resort)
3. Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
4. all of Wreck alley, Keys and SE Florida coast

we were just at CCV resort in Roatan last month and got to dive the Prince Albert every day, and twice on night dives. It is a great wreck, at a very good depth (40-65') and just steps from your room - so there is no excuse not to dive it! On one night dive we even had a show put on by a gorgeous conger eel, swimming laps around the top deck! :smiley20: Easy wreck to navigate, lots of rooms and cutouts, covered in growth.

beenerachi
01-19-2009, 01:04
1) B-17 Blackjack - Papua New Guinea (PNG)
2) Der Yang - PNG
3) Kanawashi sea plane - Solomon Islands
4) Star of Russia - Vanuatu
5) Speigel Grove - USA

other nice ones:
1) P38 Lightning - PNG (tons of wrecks here!)
2) Zero fighter - PNG

drtyjrzy
01-23-2009, 21:33
5. Capt. Dan(Florida) Yeah it's artificial, but it was my first breather dive.
4. U-352(North Carolina)
3. U-869 a.k.a. U-WHO(New Jersey)
2. Deleware(New Jersey) My first dive ever, still love diving her.
1. Stolt Degali(New Jersey) In my humble opinon best dive ever, stay shallow, or go kinda deep, awesome penatration. When your in Jersey it's a most dive.

Thanks
Paule

CamaroChick
01-26-2009, 14:49
haven't been to many wrecks yet, but gotta list my top 2:
1. The Rhone, BVIs (cool story, lots of marine life inside)
2. The Odyssey, Roatan (awesome swim-throughs up stairwells inside the ship)

aiseson
04-27-2009, 11:48
USS San Diego (NY)
RMS Oregon (NY)
USCG Bibb (FL)
Stolt Degali (NY/ NJ)
USS Algo (NY/ NJ)

in_cavediver
04-27-2009, 20:16
Eber Ward - Lake Michigan
Cedarville - Lake Huron
Willian Young - Lake Huron
Captian Dan - Pompano

The other wrecks I have been to don't seem to measure up to make the list.

Wiley1
04-30-2009, 18:50
1. Caribsea- North Carolina
2. Liberty Wreck- Bali
3. Rio De Janeiro Maru-Truk.....Tie for #3 is the Helmet wreck in Palau
4. Jake Plane-Palau
5. Betty Bomber-Truk

Would like to do the Yongala in OZ on a calm day! and the Bush wreck in Palau.
Man, would I love to have your travel budget. Can I stow away in one of your suitcases?

Coastie6
05-10-2009, 19:01
The following are my favorite:

Chester A. Poling (Gloucester MA) Awesome! Lots of "salvage" has taken place. But in the 1970's and 1980's she was really sweet, lots of brass hardware.
Rodeo #25 (Ft Lauderdale FL) Great!
Jim Atria (Ft Lauderdale FL) Great!
Robert Edmister (Ft Lauderdale FL) Old USCG Cape Gull. Great pre-hurricane Andrew. Good post Andrew
Jay Scutti & Tracy (Ft Lauderdale FL) Good
Sapona (Bimini Bahamas) you can snorkel this one
Charles Haight (Rockport MA) Neat

Buoyant1
05-12-2009, 12:07
Let's see...

Top wrecks I've been on (no particular order):

Thunderbolt
Eagle
Duane
Benwood
Flagler's Barge

Five I want to dive:
Speigel Grove
Vandenberg
Adolphus Busch
Bibb
Oriskany

(can you tell I love Florida?)

RnSdiver
05-14-2009, 16:16
My only one so far is the "Henry Cort" Muskegon, MI. Once as a shore dive and once from the South Light. The "Cort" sits on the north breakwater just north of the green light.

UofTOrange
05-28-2009, 09:41
I haven't been on any yet. Oriskany trip planned. The dive I want to do more than any other (big pirate fan) is the Queen Anne's Revenge. I know it's shallow, I don't care

NativeTexan
06-03-2009, 21:45
The only wrecks I have seen is the crap they dump into the lakes and dive spots in Texas and Oklahoma. I would LOVE to get out in the Gulf and explore wrecks like the Texas clipper.

Are there any other wrecks in the near the Texas/Lousiana coast? Enough storms have come through in the past several years you would think we could find houses, cars, and all kinds of junk.

Anybody know of any?

UofTOrange
06-05-2009, 10:37
The only wrecks I have seen is the crap they dump into the lakes and dive spots in Texas and Oklahoma. I would LOVE to get out in the Gulf and explore wrecks like the Texas clipper.

Are there any other wrecks in the near the Texas/Lousiana coast? Enough storms have come through in the past several years you would think we could find houses, cars, and all kinds of junk.

Anybody know of any?
In Texas I don't think you'd want to dive in any of the bays that you would find that stuff

gbrdiver
06-13-2009, 19:54
Have just dived the USS Aaron Ward and have already started planning another trip back to the Solomon's just to dive this magnificent ship.

Irondiver
06-16-2009, 12:51
Sandusky In the straights of Machinac. Awesome dive years ago. Was nearly untouched the last I seen it. This schooner went down with all hands.
Cederville This is a 588ft iron ore freighter. The Nordemeer sliced her flank and she leaned to the side and sank. She was heavy ladden with iron ore.
She isnt too far from the Sandusky.
Smith-Moore This is a large steamer schooner, she lies in Munising Michigan.
Heavily striped yet many things still intact. Shes big, and in one of the cabins there is a huge mirror. Nice wreck. She is deep and cold.
Nordemeer A german ship that sank the Cederville, she lays in Thunderbay in Michigan. She ran a ground somehow in 40 ft of water. There was an attempt to salvage her. The barge salvage barge sank to the bottom to join her. There are engine pieces scattered all over the floor. You can actually go inside of her motor. The barge can be entered and exited easily. So this is actually a twofer.
The last one I dont remember the name of. Im not sure we ever found its name. Its located on South Fox Island West of the dock about a 1/4 mile. It is a ship that ran aground and all the cargo is intact. It gets buried by sand and when the currents change just enough, the sand comes off. You need to take the ferry boat to the island to see it. Or have a boat to access it. You can find boots and shirts and such that the sailors wore. Intersting dive.

Several other good wrecks.
Keuka in Lake Charlevoix. An easy wreck to learn on and to dive.
Mysteria Ship in Lake Charlevoix. This wreck is in Lake Charlevoix and my dive buddy discovered it. He usually marks it and the Keuka. This one is a schooner as well. We have tried and tried to find her name. I dont know if he ever figured her out or not.
South Fox Island ship number 2 Im terrible with names. If you make it to this island, heck you can see this ship from sat photos. Its a steamer that has run aground. It lays in ruin in the shallows. Sea gulls are everywhere on this thing. Be careful of what you touch. There is tar in her hull. She lays on the south side of the Island.