PDA

View Full Version : Diving and Beta Blockers

BlowingBubbles
08-25-2008, 17:39
I was just put on a beta blocker 2 days ago (typically a high blood pressure med, although I don't have high blood pressure) for palpitations (PVC's) and a racing heart. It doesn't happen very often my doc thinks I will be on this Metoprolol "forever". To say that I'm not happy is putting it mildly. I do have a concern about being able to dive now and I'm not encouraged after checking out the DAN website. My fear is that even if I have the recommended stress test (I am in good health otherwise) that I will be unable to dive once I fill out the medical papers the resorts or dive boats require. This makes me want to check "No" for all health conditions but I do have DAN insurance and I'm concerned that if something did happen, the insurance wouldn't cover. It's frustrating because I think I'm in overall better health than a lot of folks out there but...

comet24
08-25-2008, 17:45
I would call and have a talk with DAN. They can hook you up with a doc. in your area.

bubbletrubble
08-25-2008, 18:01
I was just put on a beta blocker 2 days ago (typically a high blood pressure med, although I don't have high blood pressure) for palpitations (PVC's) and a racing heart. It doesn't happen very often my doc thinks I will be on this Metoprolol "forever". To say that I'm not happy is putting it mildly. I do have a concern about being able to dive now and I'm not encouraged after checking out the DAN website. My fear is that even if I have the recommended stress test (I am in good health otherwise) that I will be unable to dive once I fill out the medical papers the resorts or dive boats require. This makes me want to check "No" for all health conditions but I do have DAN insurance and I'm concerned that if something did happen, the insurance wouldn't cover. It's frustrating because I think I'm in overall better health than a lot of folks out there but...

I just read the FAQ on DAN's website concerning beta-blockers:
DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.aspx?faqid=185)

I don't think you should be overly concerned about getting cleared for diving following the recommended stress test. In fact, a stress test will give you very useful information regarding the limits of your exercise tolerance while on the beta-blocker.

If you were taking beta-blockers for the treatment of existing cardiac disease (e.g., hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, previous heart attack, mitral valve prolapse, atrial fibrillation, etc.), then I would be more concerned about not getting cleared.

Go ahead and see your cardiologist.

Have fun and dive safe.

JCAT
08-25-2008, 19:53
I have HBP and take a beta-blocker every A.M. When I first started diving, I called DAN. They said, based on my overall health, no problem. Been diving ever since.:smiley20::smiley20:

Also, my primary doc is a diver.

cudachaser
08-26-2008, 08:47
I've on Beta Blockers for HBP for over 15 years...no problems at all with my diving

BlowingBubbles
08-26-2008, 09:39
I feel better now. My primary doc says that even though I don't have heart disease I should make sure I fill out the dive health questionnaire truthfully so I guess, based on the responses I'm getting, I should be o.k. to dive when I do.
Thanks everyone for your encouragement!