PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else diving Chuuk Lagoon late August early September?

Fox
08-12-2007, 23:03
I'm heading to Chuuk in just over a week to go wreck crazyyy. I'm travelling by myself, if anyone else is heading over there drop in here and introduce yourself.. I could be your dive buddy if you're really unlucky. :icon_smile_tongue:

And to those of you stuck in the 9 to 5 daily grind.. :Screen_of_Death: I'll think of you as I saunter around the island and dive some of the worlds best wrecks. :laughpf::comic11:

deepdiver47
08-13-2007, 07:01
I envy you Fox. My next trip is in January either to Bunaken Island in Indonesia or to Chuuk and the Truk Stop. It is the one place where you go where you need to be careful where you go on that island.

Heading to Guam from Cairns are we?

Fox
08-13-2007, 07:19
Bunaken Island sounds exotic I've never heard of it, I'll have to research it. Guam from Cairns is correct, I live in Melbourne so it is a bit of drawn out process.. but then not as drawn out as the trip from the US. :smiley2: Well worth it though I expect. :smiley20:

Have you lived in Oz? (You obviously have some local knowledge as you know the flight route.)

I'm just finalising my Scuba Toys purchase as we speak. :smiley16:

If anyone who's dived Chuuk before could recommend what length of time to dive the lagoon is adequate I'm all ears - I have to pick between an eight night or 13 night trip.

deepdiver47
08-13-2007, 07:46
No I have not lived in OZ. I have business trips that take me to Taiwan/China and I will stop by Guam on my way home to do diving. I have been diving in Palau, Yap (2) and Guam and finally Bali just 2 weeks ago.

Here is whom I am thinking about diving with on Bunaken Island (Indonesia)

http://www.twofishdivers.com/

deepdiver47
08-13-2007, 07:51
Here is a trip report on Chuuk that a friend of mine sent to me. He is a dive operator in Yap so he is a local guy. I hope that it helps.

Krakenn
08-13-2007, 08:18
Fox, my mates and I did 11 days of two dives a day and um tried to get happy on the Yankee Budwater in between dives. You could have done three dives a day if you wanted. We missed alot of wrecks.

There are fighters, bombers and seaplanes to visit as well as the wrecks.

My favourite dives were the I-169 and the San Fransico Maru. Push to get a dive on these as the lads work a schedule and you wouldnt want to miss out if you come in between groups. I wanted to do the I-169 and wasnt disappointed. I couldn't believe it was so big. This WW2 sub is bigger than our Oberon Class and close to the size of our Collins Class Subs it was unbelievable and sits in two main pieces.

You have to do the San Fran just to get narced if nothing else. This is the ship that has the tanks in the deck. If you are taking a camera take some light with you as it can be a little dark that deep. Buy an Ikelite Housing for your camera as the Fantasea are only good for 40m. - PS Have a look at the Camera on the ST site, If it is a Nikon S10 they retail here for about $600 and the Housing is about $500 on its own so for $499 plus 15 % exchange and say $50 freight its a fair deal when you get both the camera and the housing! Dont forget to get your 10% discount and your in business.

Take some shoes that you can toss when you leave or be preared to disinfec them back home at Customs as you will want to do the Island tour it is great to look at the caves and gun emplacements there, but it can be very muddy.

You might as a precaution speak with your local GP and get a prescription for some Amoxolin incase you get some bugs biting you there. Look to the DFAT website for advice.

Listen to the advice, the other divers are advising you about being careful on the Island, and dont get a Captain Cook.

We did the 11 days on Truk and had a few days on Guam which was great and made up a couple of weeks away.

It s pity your going on your own as its always good to share these types of dives in the future. Have you asked your local dive clubs is anyone going or Dive Adventures if they can hook you in with a group?

Whatever, enjoy the diving, my favourite dive spot pal. To answer your question if you have the dough and the time do the thirteen days but you will have to like your wrecks and watch your saturation.

Krakenn

Fox
08-14-2007, 06:18
Deep Diver, Krakenn, your posts were awesome, thanks for the detail. I went for the longer trip, you only live once so what is a thousand odd bucks in the scheme of things. It means if the weather is poor for a couple of days I don't have to stress. Full trip report on my return, and possibly during the trip. :smiley20:

Krakenn because I have chosen the long holiday my budget for a camera is tight but I would love to record the memories - do the land operations offer a camera or video capture service that you can buy at the end of the trip on DVD etc? ..if not I'll hunt around and see when I can scratch up.

deepdiver47
08-14-2007, 06:55
good points about going longer, you can always spend more time at Shark Island

Krakenn
08-16-2007, 23:58
Fox, I didnt see anyone hiring Cameras but then I didnt look either pal.
If you can do some OT have a look at that Ikelite that ST has. For its price and the depth rating at 60m it should be the ticket if you can get it over the line. PS but dont come up short on the recreational pursuits at Truk if you buy it mate as you have to drink twice as much of the American lite beers.

The other thing is to learn what is a fair tip. As tipping is required at Truk and i think we over tipped as we were conscious that it had to be done.

Fox
08-17-2007, 00:31
Tipping ehhhh :smiley11: I had not thought of that, Australians aren't used to the tipping culture, over here we only tip in restaurants one or two dollars if the service is good, oh and cab drivers and pizza delivers, but that's about it.

I am trying to work out how much I'll spend per day in Chuuk on items other than diving (food and tipping) I'm guessing USD40 a day for three or four meals but I am probably under estimating, I have a big appetite..

(That doesn't include beer of course.)

Krakenn
08-17-2007, 05:18
Hey, Pal I hope your a vegetarian!

Kraks

Zenagirl
08-17-2007, 09:54
And to those of you stuck in the 9 to 5 daily grind.. :Screen_of_Death: I'll think of you as I saunter around the island and dive some of the worlds best wrecks. :laughpf::comic11:

Thanks, I hate you too!! <LOL>

Have a great trip and make sure you post a long report when you return. :D

Fox
08-17-2007, 19:19
Hey, Pal I hope your a vegetarian!

Kraks

...errrr, no, why? :smiley13:

deepdiver47
08-17-2007, 19:24
Aussies just eat beer

Fox
08-17-2007, 21:01
Aussies just eat beer

:smiley36: while this is true we still like to have a piece of meat to chew on between gulps of the amber liquid.. that vegetarian comment has thrown me, I need clarification! (I'm guessing my budgeting is wrong and I am to used to Australian meat prices which are quite cheap.)

Krakenn
08-20-2007, 05:05
Fox, it was more expensive than what we thought for tucker but the grog was cheap. You'll understand why when you drink it.

What we did was have snacks on the boat and eat a three course meal at night.

Each to their own M8.

Kraks

deepdiver47
08-20-2007, 07:39
ahhh grog.....all you have to do now is glug it, right? You Aussies are a fun bunch!

One time I was Sam's Tours bar in Palau. There were these 4 guys standing around the table playing quarters. There were 3 US Navy Diver and one big Aussie. They were having a ball, so was eveyone in the bar
As expected the Aussie kicked all of their asses.

Fox
08-21-2007, 16:46
ahhh grog.....all you have to do now is glug it, right? You Aussies are a fun bunch!

One time I was Sam's Tours bar in Palau. There were these 4 guys standing around the table playing quarters. There were 3 US Navy Diver and one big Aussie. They were having a ball, so was eveyone in the bar
As expected the Aussie kicked all of their asses.

Lol, I'm glad he represented Australia in a positive way. :smiley36:

..I have one last question on Chuuk before I go (hopefully my last question) do they have a computer to backup digital camera images by burning CD's? ..if not I'll have to bring a laptop or something.

Krakenn
08-21-2007, 23:58
At Truk Stop there was a computer store next door that acted as a Internet Cafe so Im sure they have burners.

There was also a computer under the stairwell in Truk Stop that was used for internet, but I cant remember if there was a burner unlocked on it.

Best of luck pal and remember to come home safe.

As you are going out of Cairns watch your weight on Continental Airlines they are very strict on weight and will charge you.

They other option would be to buy another SD card with 2gig or so and not worry about burning CD's - Prolly as cheap as well.

Kraks

Fox
08-22-2007, 00:49
At Truk Stop there was a computer store next door that acted as a Internet Cafe so Im sure they have burners.

There was also a computer under the stairwell in Truk Stop that was used for internet, but I cant remember if there was a burner unlocked on it.

Best of luck pal and remember to come home safe.

As you are going out of Cairns watch your weight on Continental Airlines they are very strict on weight and will charge you.

They other option would be to buy another SD card with 2gig or so and not worry about burning CD's - Prolly as cheap as well.

Kraks

Thanks for the info mate, I've actually got a 4gb card but if I make some videos it will get chewed through pretty quick, I'll see how I go over there I'm sure I can work something out.

Krakenn
08-22-2007, 09:15
looking forward to the photos.

If I ever learn how Ill post some of mine on here. If you find out how just tell me.

Be safe and remember my earlier post about the nightclub and the generator downstairs

Cheers

Kraks

Fox
08-31-2007, 20:30
G'Day guys and greetings from Truk Lagoon! Just a quick update for you, all has gone very well since I left Melbourne, no problems to speak of. I snuck in under the Continental weight limit thanks to prudent hand luggage packing. The Blue Lagoon resort is fantastic, I had paid for share accommodation with 3 other divers however because of low occupancy I've got an awesome room with air con, fridge, and 2 double beds to myself, sweet deal. I've completed 14 dives so far and have been having a great time, the diving is awesome and the digital camera has been getting a strong work out. I took today off as I have been getting some sharp pains in my neck post dives, it could be from constantly looking up or it could be mild DCI, either way the 35ish hour surfact interval should sort it out.

PS the weather has been awesome, it has rained for about 15 minutes in the 9 days I've been here, very pleased with my luck. :smiley20:

willardj
08-31-2007, 20:36
One day we'll get to get over there. Some pics would be nice. When you get a min.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 08:57
alll i can say is give us a report and let us know how you like it. of course i envy you, love to dive no matter what but have to first pay the bills and workk to dive

enjoy man

Travelnsj
09-01-2007, 10:03
Great to hear you are having good weather....August and September can be a bit stormy....I have stayed at the Blue Lagoon before nice place....don't leave the compound...LOL

Are you going to have a chance to go to Palau?...hope you do some of the best diving in the world.

Fox
09-04-2007, 02:46
Pics and report up on the weekend when I'm home, alas I'm not making it to Palau this time, but there is always the next trip.. :smiley20:

I dived the San Francisco today, just me and the divemaster, a very cool dive and the deepest I've been. 30 minute deco obligation. :smiley22: So much for sticking to the recreational diving limits on my padi cert. Lol. We had a 50 minute safety stop at 10/5 metres and came up feeling great. One dive to go tomorrow and that's a wrap.

PS the storms are rolling in! Thanks to the weather god for holding them off til the very end of my trip!

Krakenn
09-04-2007, 23:34
I bet you loved the San Fran Fox.

Looking forward to the reports when you get back. Dont forget you HAVE to buy the T-Shirt to prove you were there.

PS Watch out for all the cats at Blue Lagoon at night.

Kraks