PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a wrist lanyard to an OxyCheq 3 watt

Ron G.
08-26-2008, 21:50
ST sent me a UK wrist lanyard for my new OxyCheq 3 watt light. The bad news is I don't know how to attach it.

The lanyard is basically made of a cloth strap about 3/8" wide. The light has a small hole in the bottom that is definitely to narrow to allow the lanyard to go through it.

Do I run a small zip tie through the hole in the base of the light and attach that to the lanyard?

Ron

UCFKnightDiver
08-27-2008, 08:40
the hole at the bottom is made for cave line in order to tie a bolt snap on, you could use some of that, just tie a square knot burn the ends of the line, and put a dab of super glue on it and your good to go.

The disadvantage to using a zip tie, and you can try this to see it if you would like is if you twist a zip tie after it is tied onto something, it will easily break, this scenario, is not at all unlikely when/if using this light with a lanyard

Ron G.
08-27-2008, 08:53
I know exactly what you're talking about.

In fact, someone recently posted a photo. (I think it was here.)

I just don't remember where exactly that post (and photo) are.

Thx.

Ron

Jack Hammer
08-27-2008, 12:04
Here is a good one

Attaching a Bolt Snap (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml)

Jack

Ron G.
08-27-2008, 12:15
Thanks, Jack (Hammer),

That's exactly what I was remembering.

Ron

CompuDude
08-27-2008, 15:45
If you really want a lanyard instead of a bolt snap (which makes some sense if you're using the light as a primary), you could tie the ScubaToys lanyard onto the light using the cave line knot method. That would keep things on far batter than a zip tie.

Ron G.
08-27-2008, 16:39
If you really want a lanyard instead of a bolt snap (which makes some sense if you're using the light as a primary), you could tie the ScubaToys lanyard onto the light using the cave line knot method. That would keep things on far batter than a zip tie.

You're referring to the knot described in the link posted by Jack, right?

Another simple question....what kind of "line" is that, and where do I get it? Home Depot?

Thx.

Ron

CompuDude
08-27-2008, 16:45

You're referring to the knot described in the link posted by Jack, right?

Another simple question....what kind of "line" is that, and where do I get it? Home Depot?

Thx.

Ron

Yes, that knot is commonly referred to as a "cave knot".

"Cave line" is generally #24 braided nylon seine twine. I have a huge spool I bought off a friend. You can get it in a lot of places, but not usually Home Depot... they sell masonry line, which is similar but twisted rather than braided and doesn't hold up as well.

You can reliably get cave line (not by that name) at Reef Scuba (http://www.reefscuba.com/ropewebbing.htm) or Memphis Net and Twine (http://www.memphisnet.net/category/twine_regularwhiteseine).

Ron G.
08-27-2008, 22:31
Well, I ordered some from Memphis Net and Twine. A spool is 700 feet. That should be enough, even if I mess up a time or two.

Thanks, CompuDude.

Ron

hooligan
08-27-2008, 22:39
Hmmm... 700ft. I'm not sure that will be enough to tie a cave knot.:smiley29: I usually just cut a few inches off a finger spool. :smiley2:

Jack Hammer
08-27-2008, 22:48
Hmmm... 700ft. I'm not sure that will be enough to tie a cave knot.:smiley29: I usually just cut a few inches off a finger spool. :smiley2:
Yeah, I bought a 160' finger spool for $15 and cut about 15' of line off it and used that for attaching bolt snaps to all my gear.

Ron G., now that you'll have an extra 699' of line laying around you could consider buying a reel with some extra spools and load them up. (or you could weave a really nice beach matt to change into your gear on:smiley20:).

Jack:smiley36:

CompuDude
08-28-2008, 00:03
Yeah, I bought a 160' finger spool for $15 and cut about 15' of line off it and used that for attaching bolt snaps to all my gear.

Ron G., now that you'll have an extra 699' of line laying around you could consider buying a reel with some extra spools and load them up. (or you could weave a really nice beach matt to change into your gear on:smiley20:).

Jack:smiley36:

$6 for 700' is cheaper, though. I used to pull line off spools, but then I had a spool that was short. I think the spindle I bought from my buddy came off an 800' exploration reel (he was trading it to thicker line). Now I can loan anyone who wants cave line, and never have to think twice about it. :smiley20:

$6 for a life time's worth of cave line ... seems reasonable to me! (Especially when I've seen shops selling it for $0.10 per foot!)

Let's see, you generally use about of foot per knot, so with two backup lights, a primary reg bolt snap, SPG, and primary light, that's 5 feet. Replace the knot after a year on some bits that move more than others, upgrade a piece of gear here and there, a field repair or two, and you're up to 10-15' pretty easily. Now your 50' finger spool is nearly useless, with only 35' of line on it. Of course, you could always refill that finger spool with a nice continuous 50' run if only you had a $6 spool with a lifetime's supply of cave line! :smiley2: