PDA

View Full Version : International cell phone SIM

JugglingMonkeys
08-13-2007, 07:04
at present i have individual nation SIM cards that i put into an unlocked GSM phone when i visit certain countries.

But i'd like to get another SIM card that will cover many nations. An international SIM card.

any ideas?

best one would be:
no min usage
no monthly fees
top up from the web
does not use a "callback" system

porsche060
08-13-2007, 10:49
perhaps ebay?

JugglingMonkeys
08-13-2007, 14:02
perhaps ebay?

it would be a company that sells the SIMS and then sells additional minutes for them on an as-needed basis.

Harshal
08-13-2007, 14:05
normally those with multiples countries and multiple number on on SIM card are expensive.
Per minute rate is expensive on them as well.

JugglingMonkeys
08-16-2007, 11:11
i have seen some cheap ones advertised but don't remember where. Didn't keep them.

I'm hoping the wisdom of this board might come to my assistance here.

TxHockeyGuy
08-16-2007, 11:40
i have seen some cheap ones advertised but don't remember where. Didn't keep them.

I'm hoping the wisdom of this board might come to my assistance here.

I looked into it briefly but it was just more expensive than I wanted. It was per minute and if I used it back in the states at all it was at $3.00 per minute. If I did something like this I'd like it to be usable as a second phone, and at $3.00 per minute here it is not usable. I found the best results by doing a google search on "international sim". There rates for other countries were more reasonable, but given how little I'd use the sim/phone it just didn't make sense for me. I also looked into getting a prepaid phone here and trying to take it international, no go. Sad, AT&T sells prepaid phones which advertise international bands, but they don't allow them to work on international roaming and are no doubt sim locked to their network. So what's the point?

Jaymeany
08-16-2007, 12:34
I was just thinking about this topic. I have cingular / at&t and was wondering how to use my phone on vacation. Have you asked the actual cell phone company? (I assume you have) What did they say. I don't want to wait a half hour for another CS Rep to be like "what are you talking about?" How do people in business use their blackberrys all over? I saw people from the US using theirs in anguilla when we were there in June. I am very interested in this, I will check my anguilla stuff because I remember there was some local cell phone service that would allow you to use there network for a fee (I think they unlock your phone).

TxHockeyGuy
08-16-2007, 12:39
I was just thinking about this topic. I have cingular / at&t and was wondering how to use my phone on vacation. Have you asked the actual cell phone company? (I assume you have) What did they say. I don't want to wait a half hour for another CS Rep to be like "what are you talking about?" How do people in business use their blackberrys all over? I saw people from the US using theirs in anguilla when we were there in June. I am very interested in this, I will check my anguilla stuff because I remember there was some local cell phone service that would allow you to use there network for a fee (I think they unlock your phone).

It depends on where you go. Cingular/at&t is GSM which is a bonus as GSM is the most common international cellular standard. That being said there are 4 GSM frequencies in use, 850, 900, 1800, and 1900. You'll need to be certain your phone supports the frequency in use there, that your carrier has a roaming contract with whatever local carrier is in use, and if your plan allows international roaming. I was strictly looking into pre-paid and I did call the carrier, but you're not talking about pre-paid so that is entirely different.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 14:21
My cellphone has always worked in different countries without needing a special sim card. Where are you traveling that a major US carrier doesn't have coverage, or an agreement with a local carrier?

TxHockeyGuy
08-16-2007, 14:46
My cellphone has always worked in different countries without needing a special sim card. Where are you traveling that a major US carrier doesn't have coverage, or an agreement with a local carrier?

I'm with Verizon which is CDMA and will not work in Turks and Caicos.

JugglingMonkeys
08-17-2007, 04:14
i use verizon and it does work in some countries - e.g. China, Israel etc.

But i'm looking for a whole separate system.
not just a US carrier.

a separate SIM technology that covers many countries and is a lot cheaper than US carriers.

i know theyr'e out there!
:smiley5:

diversteve
08-17-2007, 04:20
I bought an Explorer card from Telestial.com. Seemed like fairly cheap rates except in the U.S. But they warned about that upfront.

best one would be:
no min usage
no monthly fees
top up from the web
does not use a "callback" system

I have a tri-band Razr (T-Mobile) that I had unlocked. But I do have to do the callback. Although it's worked reliably everywhere I've used it so far.

My buddy has a Razr with worldwide international calling. I've no idea what it costs him, he works for an oil company consulting firm and they pay the bill. I can find out who they're with if you're interested.

JugglingMonkeys
08-17-2007, 06:45
please do find out. Thanks!

i am trying to avoid the callback ones - i've used that in the past with low success and high hassle rate.
or perhaps maybe the technology is better now?

thanks!

diversteve
08-17-2007, 23:02
Reply from my friend:

I have ATT (was Cingular) and have been pleased with the coverage. When I bought the phone I made sure it was Quad band so I could use it overseas.

Texas Girl
08-18-2007, 08:05
I am also with Cingular/ATT with a quad band phone. I actually used it in Bonaire with just the international roaming, but have also gotten a signal (checking for emergency messages) all over the Caribbean and Europe. Telestial does have a good selection of SIM cards.

JugglingMonkeys
08-21-2007, 02:27
hey, check this out:
www.celtrek.com

it's quite cheap for SOME countries - especially some obscure ones.

might be good for a backup SIM.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 09:17
I've started using the celtrek SIM.
it's very expensive for the US. Otherwise not too bad.

also it is a call-back system but seems to be working ok.