PDA

View Full Version : What boots do you wear?

Aussie Diver
08-28-2008, 02:17
I have just purchased a Bare nex gen and im very impressed with it. It has socks installed and i was wondering how people dive with them. I dived on the weekend and put my oceanic boots on over the top, i found my feet kept cramping. I then took the boots off and just used the socks with my fins, that seemed to be a lot better. Would rock boots give me the same problem as the oceanic boots that i tried?? Thanks for you help everyone!

CompuDude
08-28-2008, 15:40
You don't want to use the bare (i.e., plain, not "Bare") socks... one hole and you're hating life. Keep them safe by wearing something over them for protection.

I have DUI rock boots for my CLX450, but never liked the way they fit in my fins (they make the foot way too tall). I switched to Converse for a while, but still thought they were a bit of a PITA, although I do like them when I'm doing entries over rough trails. They fit my fins much better, though, and were just as comfortable as the DUI boots, if not more so.

But then I discovered using wetsuit booties... of the right sort... over the socks is simply the greatest. Super easy to put on (just pull!), super comfy on the feet, offers some actual inherent warmth, significantly improved ankle flexibility (great for alternative kicks) and still does a great a great job keeping air out of the feet. Not so great on rough trails, but the beauty is you can switch back and forth at will. Absolutely incredible on boats or easy sandy shore dives.

The trick is finding the right booties, though. The best booties I've found are by Tilos, and as a happy coincidence, they're dirt cheap (about $25-30 at my LDS). I've had a hard time finding them online, admittedly, although I'm sure ScubaToys could order them. I like the Tilos because they have a soft sole with just enough protection (but not too much), but the sole is fairly small, so I can actually use my same fins both wet (with bigger hard sole booties) and dry. Also, the height is fairly low (but not too low), so they don't interfere with the rest of the drysuit. They end comfortably up the DS sock. I never bother to zip them, btw.

Highly recommended!

Tilos Titanium Hydro + Zip Boot (http://cp32.heritagewebdesign.com/~tilos07/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_9&products_id=20&zenid=f1b05ff0038d2dd114eaa6e85cd6a59e) (I use 5mm, not 3mm), only $25 at my LDS:

http://cp32.heritagewebdesign.com/~tilos07/cart/images/B3803.jpg

ScubaToys lists the 3mm model (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Tilos3mmTall), so I assume they can order the 5mm version.

MSilvia
08-28-2008, 15:50
I WAS about to recommend Converse sneakers, but I might have to give that a try! Thanks for the idea.

bubbletrubble
08-28-2008, 15:50
Would rock boots give me the same problem as the oceanic boots that i tried??

No, proper fitting rock boots will not cause your feet to cramp up. As CompuDude stated, it is not advisable to dive with just your neoprene socks (attached to drysuit) jammed into your fins. You can probably get away with that on a boat dive...but I wouldn't try it with any shore dive.

The Bare Trek boots work great, but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on them. Many Bare Nex-Gen divers use the Converse Chuck Taylors. Get a proper fitting pair and use them with your fins. Not only will the proper footwear give you traction and some protection from puncture, but it will also control the amount of air in/around your feet to guard against floaty-feet syndrome.

Enjoy the new drysuit.

RoyN
08-28-2008, 19:05
I use white's Evo3 boots. I really like the rugged, hiking style boot since sometimes I go down to dive sites that require quite a hike.

blcard
08-28-2008, 19:37
A friend of my swears by 3MM booties and a pair of Crocs.

He says he would never dive with them, but I haven't tried it. Seems like it would be good though.

bubbletrubble
08-28-2008, 19:40
I use white's Evo3 boots. I really like the rugged, hiking style boot since sometimes I go down to dive sites that require quite a hike.
The Evo3 boots are very nice. Great traction and excellent ankle support. I tried them out when I test-dove the Whites Fusion suit. I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised when I found out that the boots cost $100+. I think the only way I would ever get them is if they came in a package with the Fusion suit.

I suspect that the OP is looking for more economical solutions...

RoyN
08-28-2008, 20:09
It was around $119 for the Evo3. I was going to buy the Hollis drysuit boots, but they were weren't ready yet.

brandon
08-28-2008, 21:21
I have vulcanized rubber boots on my Bare suit, but when they need to be replaced may go the Converse / socks route, mostly because it looks cool =)

No problems with the vulcanized boots so far though, and I'm constantly walking over rocks, mussel beds, barnacles and other such nasties.

-B

Lake Diver
08-29-2008, 00:12
Pinnacle 5mm Apex I believe

Aussie Diver
08-29-2008, 03:26
Awesome advice! Would that be ankle converse or the boot style ones, are they tight to put on the with socks - need laces? Great idea though! Plus it would look cool!

MSilvia
08-29-2008, 09:11
Awesome advice! Would that be ankle converse or the boot style ones, are they tight to put on the with socks - need laces? Great idea though! Plus it would look cool!
I use low top "ankle" converse, one size larger than I'd normally wear to allow room for the neoprene socks. I got rid of the laces, and replaced them with elastic "bungie" cord that I threaded so it skips alternating holes. I leave it tied, and just slip them on.

CompuDude
08-29-2008, 13:23
I use low top "ankle" converse, one size larger than I'd normally wear to allow room for the neoprene socks. I got rid of the laces, and replaced them with elastic "bungie" cord that I threaded so it skips alternating holes. I leave it tied, and just slip them on.
I use the Goth high tops. :) Regular laces, although I've considered swapping them for some sort of speed laces.

http://www.h2ogeek.com/divegear/Converse.jpg

(When I actually use them... which is rare these days since most of my dives are soft sand shore dives or boat dives, so I use the booties instead.)

junzhang
08-30-2008, 07:33
I use the camaro 6mm classic bought from sierra trading post, i got it for a bit more than $20 when it's on sale and using the 20% off coupon. The quality is great and i highly recommend them.

kagey747
09-15-2008, 04:37
For the price conscience, go to your local outdoor sportsman warehouse and check out the shoes for fly-fishing waders... same specs but a lot cheaper.