PDA

View Full Version : Outer Banks,NC...best wrecks??

Warehouse40
08-13-2007, 07:21
Hey everyone!! I am heading to the Outer Banks for a nice little vacation, and I am looking for the best wrecks of the Outer Banks. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. There are certainly enough to dive in this area. Thanks.

jeepbrew
09-13-2007, 16:51
I will check my log book this evening and post back on some of the more enjoyable wreck dives. I have been on 15 or so of the wrecks out there... most of them were awesome. I distinctly remember the USCG Spar being one of my favorites. The U-352 was an awesome dive as well b/c, well... it's a U-boat...

DZorn00
09-20-2007, 07:22
Hope you have a boat, I was reading on some of the dives down there and most or well off the coast and the current and visibility are pretty rough down there too..

DZorn00
09-20-2007, 07:41
http://www.discoverydiving.com/

Not sure exactly where this is in NC but it is that way so check it out.

skdvr
09-20-2007, 08:16
Discovery diving is on the cost about in the middle of the state. I use to live righ tby the place and it has a great rep. I never dove with them because that was before I stated diving. If you send a pm to b1gcountry he just got back from a trip on the outerbanks as well... I think that he went diving with some place in Wilmington. He has a post about some of the recent wrecks he has visited here (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=2634&highlight=tale).

I hope this helps...

Phil

rktman26
09-21-2007, 20:20
I got certified with Discovery, and have done 4 trips on their boats. I did the Spar and Aeoulus on one dive (they're within 1/2 mile or so of each other), and the Indra 3 times.
Discovery is a great oufit with very friendly people.
They destinations are normally determined the morning of the charter. Wind,weather and the desires of the divers all play a part in deciding which wreck youdive that day.
I live about an hour from the shop, if you've got any questions, let me know.

skdvr
09-22-2007, 05:40
Hey everyone!! I am heading to the Outer Banks for a nice little vacation, and I am looking for the best wrecks of the Outer Banks. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. There are certainly enough to dive in this area. Thanks.

So where in the Outer Banks are you going? We keep talking about Discovery but you may not be close to that. The whole cost of NC has outer banks.

Phil

BobArnold8265
10-11-2007, 12:16
The Aeolus is a nice wreck near Morehead. A small freighter if I remember correctly. We saw some very nice Sand Tiger sharks the last time I was there.

Boris42
10-19-2007, 09:32

So where in the Outer Banks are you going? We keep talking about Discovery but you may not be close to that. The whole cost of NC has outer banks.

Phil

It's my understanding that the "Outter Banks" are considered to be the coast from about Morehead City north to Kitty Hawk. There are barrier islands south of Morehead, but I've never considered them part of the outter banks.

skdvr
10-20-2007, 09:00
It's my understanding that the "Outter Banks" are considered to be the coast from about Morehead City north to Kitty Hawk. There are barrier islands south of Morehead, but I've never considered them part of the outter banks.

I use to skydive just south of Wilmington in South Port, NC and we considered the islands down there part of the outerbanks. Maybe we were miss naming but I never heard any one say any different. I live near Morehead for about 4 years and then I live up in Cary for a few years before moving to St Louis.

Phil

Boris42
10-20-2007, 09:36

I use to skydive just south of Wilmington in South Port, NC and we considered the islands down there part of the outerbanks. Maybe we were miss naming but I never heard any one say any different. I live near Morehead for about 4 years and then I live up in Cary for a few years before moving to St Louis.

Phil

Hey skdvr,

I did my skydiving in Liberty, NC back in the late 70's early 80's. I've lived in or around Cary since '74 though I'm originally from the Republic of Texas right in ST's back yard in fact, Fort Worth.

As far as the outter banks goes, I don't guess there's a hard and fast definition, but I'll tell you if anyone says "I'm going to the outter banks this weekend", 99% of the time people are going to think you mean somewhere near Cape Hatteras, any of the islands that border the Plamlico and Albemarle Sounds really. The only place you can get OBX-xxxx license plates are from Dare County which pretty much covers this area.

Not that any of this is really important. And I'm certainly not out to make you "wrong". I just thought I'd clarify the point for others on the board.

Kokomo
10-20-2007, 18:04
There's a good dive operator in Wilmington that does wrecks - called Aquatic Safaris

bubble-head
10-20-2007, 19:00
If you are interested in shore diving, I often dive the Triangle Wrecks at Mile Post 7 and the Huron at Mile Post 11. Conditions can vary from terrible to fantastic. Depth is only 15' this year, so you can get some major bottom time.

skdvr
10-21-2007, 07:16

Phil

Hey skdvr,

I did my skydiving in Liberty, NC back in the late 70's early 80's. I've lived in or around Cary since '74 though I'm originally from the Republic of Texas right in ST's back yard in fact, Fort Worth.

As far as the outter banks goes, I don't guess there's a hard and fast definition, but I'll tell you if anyone says "I'm going to the outter banks this weekend", 99% of the time people are going to think you mean somewhere near Cape Hatteras, any of the islands that border the Plamlico and Albemarle Sounds really. The only place you can get OBX-xxxx license plates are from Dare County which pretty much covers this area.

Not that any of this is really important. And I'm certainly not out to make you "wrong". I just thought I'd clarify the point for others on the board.

A little off subject but when I was in Cary I live in the apartments on the corner of Tryon Rd and Piny Plains Rd. and at the Lake Pine Apts (actually Apex).

Phil

Boris42
10-21-2007, 09:21
When was that? I lived across from Silver Lake for years, not a mile from you. Now I'm just off of Yates Mill Pond Rd. not much farther away.

skdvr
10-22-2007, 07:34
I lived in Cary from 2001 to 2004

Michael Kazmer
06-05-2008, 14:41
I have hade great times with Olympus diving in Morehead NC nice boat large in side cabin if the weather is poor large covered deck to keep out of the sun and a nice upper sun deck. Most important helpful staff safe top notch service. I live in NC and they are my charter of choice.
Olympus Dive Center (http://www.olympusdiving.com)

paulwall
06-09-2008, 13:49
If you are interested in shore diving, I often dive the Triangle Wrecks at Mile Post 7 and the Huron at Mile Post 11. Conditions can vary from terrible to fantastic. Depth is only 15' this year, so you can get some major bottom time.

Those sound great. I'll have to put them on my to-do list...

rktman26
06-11-2008, 19:37
I dove with Discovery last weekend. We did the Spar and Aeolus. Both were very good dives. The Spar had probably 70' of visibility and there were about 15 Sand Tigers cruising around. The Aeolus only had a few sharks, but I think is a much more interesting wreck, as it is broken up into several sections and is a huge wreck.
This is the second time I've dove these wrecks, and both times were great.

diver-wife
06-13-2008, 18:26
If you are going to what is normally considered the "outer banks" you are likely a long ways from Discover and Olympus, check out OBX diving

Outer Banks Dive Center, Nags Head, North Carolina (http://www.obxdive.com/)

do not know anything about them personally

jimmysdevoted
07-11-2008, 19:06
We had such a great time, even when I lost my wallet.. it was fun.. i want to go back..

Jimmy and Margo got battered by trying to do a beach entry.. we went back to the dive shop and they had just received a warning about the water and a storm coming in.. i wish it would have popped in while we were at the dive shop!
j

Trey9123
07-26-2008, 17:26
The Hyde & Markham are incredible. Sand tigers galore and some incredible spear fishing.

Gumby
08-19-2008, 01:22
North Carolina Shipwrecks (http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/shipwrecks.html)

Love the details and history, yet most of all, the before and after photos..... Wish we had a list like this for SC wrecks :smiley19:

1BadSnowMan
08-25-2008, 20:20
:smiley20:DO THE U-BOAT. Can't remember if its the U85 or U352. Either way do the U.

rktman26
08-25-2008, 20:24
The U-352 is off the coast of Morehead city

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-25-2008, 22:10
Dive the U-352 while you still can. The powers tha be are talking about a marine sanctuary...