PDA

View Full Version : ASD/AOW at Lake Travis August 11-12

PlatypusMan
08-13-2007, 09:08
Well, I had the privilege of diving with a large group of great students at Travis who were all keen on getting their AOW.

What a fun group it was--a lot of good training, information and skills practice was covered over the weekend; food was consumed and some even braved the wilds of Austin Saturday night for a round of liquid uptake--or so I was told!

Let me express my thanks to all who attended. I now have some twenty-odd new potential dive buddies!

Thanks also to Nick, Jeff and Greg for the privilege of working another class with you.

LOOKING TO TAKE A SCUBATOYS CLASS? Look at the site toolbar above and click on "Area Calendars", then choose 'ScubaToys specific'. Choose your month interested, and for gosh sakes--sign up so I can meet you in a class sometime!!!!

porsche060
08-13-2007, 09:11
Wish i lived closer

dallasdivergirl
08-13-2007, 11:45
Hey Platy!

I had a good time. And survived. Who knew?

ertechsg
08-13-2007, 13:05
Had a great time this weekend. Everyone was great to hang with. And since I'm writing this I must still be alive:smiley20: Had great instuctor and dm's. Thanks guys for all your time and help you gave us.:smiley32: I for one made a few mistakes but also learned alot more to make my diving more fun and safe. And to all my new dive buddies see ya in CSSP.

Illini_Fan
08-13-2007, 14:11
I'll echo the thanks to Nick and the entire team (Jeff, Greg, Platty). Not to come across as a grump, but I would encourage ST to seriously consider limiting the class size. I understand that the heavy rains in June impacted both the June and July class, so this might have been a one-time thing and if that is the case, so be it and we all move on.

But if class sizes get above the mid-teens, the logistics can get fairly complex for coordinating all the dives.

The team did a great job of making it work, but I would rather have been told the class was full. Just my $0.02

TxHockeyGuy
08-13-2007, 14:25
I'll echo the thanks to Nick and the entire team (Jeff, Greg, Platty). Not to come across as a grump, but I would encourage ST to seriously consider limiting the class size. I understand that the heavy rains in June impacted both the June and July class, so this might have been a one-time thing and if that is the case, so be it and we all move on.

But if class sizes get above the mid-teens, the logistics can get fairly complex for coordinating all the dives.

The team did a great job of making it work, but I would rather have been told the class was full. Just my $0.02

It is my understanding that this was the largest class ScubaToys has ever had. That's because two fairly large AOW classes both went out this month so I would definitely consider this a one time thing. My AOW class through ScubaToys had at most 8.

PlatypusMan
08-13-2007, 15:42
Not to come across as a grump, but I would encourage ST to seriously consider limiting the class size. I understand that the heavy rains in June impacted both the June and July class, so this might have been a one-time thing and if that is the case, so be it and we all move on.

My understanding is that this was the case--the heavy rains screwed up a LOT of dive training operations in June and July, so what you experienced was something that I personally haven't seen before as far as class size.

I seriously doubt that it will happen again. (What? Heavy rain? During a Texas SUMMER???! Stop--you're killing me!!)

ertechsg
08-13-2007, 21:30
Then that make our class 1 of a kind. Nice job guys we go down in history:smiley32:

ScubaToys Larry
08-13-2007, 22:06

Yes, since we had to combine a few... it did get a bit large. If you feel you did not get enough personal attention, or for any reason you felt you didn't get enough from the class, you are welcome to do our next advanced class at no charge.

Illini_Fan
08-14-2007, 07:14
Larry -- thanks for the generous offer. I don't think I'll take advantage of it.

Now, if Nick doesn't pass me, I might change my mind :)

Vercingetorix
08-14-2007, 09:57
Twenty-plus class size? Wow. That would be fun, though. My AOW class at Travis in April had only one student..me. So, I got lots of personal attention from Jeff, Sean, and Platy. Had a great time.

ertechsg
08-14-2007, 10:02
Larry -- thanks for the generous offer. I don't think I'll take advantage of it.

Now, if Nick doesn't pass me, I might change my mind :)DITTO

ocean_dreamer
08-14-2007, 10:57
Thanks for the offer Larry but once was enough for me.

Rockhound76
08-14-2007, 16:57
My son (14) has been asking about taking a trip to Travis. I've been concerned about the viz. Has it clear up a lot since the rains eased off?

Because of his age, I thought we'd stay shallow (<60') around Windy Point, but I haven't been there in years.

ertechsg
08-14-2007, 17:27
My son (14) has been asking about taking a trip to Travis. I've been concerned about the viz. Has it clear up a lot since the rains eased off?

Because of his age, I thought we'd stay shallow (<60') around Windy Point, but I haven't been there in years. What viz? + or - 2ft

ScubaToys Joe
08-14-2007, 17:28
All of you are welcome to come out on any of our class's and just dive for fun! Heck we might even cook for you!

Thanks

Joe

ertechsg
08-14-2007, 21:46
All of you are welcome to come out on any of our class's and just dive for fun! Heck we might even cook for you!

Thanks

JoeThanks Joe will take you up on that. 2 more post and I'm a big fish plus $50 closer to a new toy

Jeff
08-14-2007, 22:02
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who did make it out, braved the heat and large class and finished the weekend. I personally had a blast working with all of you, and appreciate you coming to ST, as it gives me a chance to keep my skills sharp, while helping you improve yours.

This class definitely goes down in history as the biggest one ever. Can't say that I'm looking forward to breaking this record. I think this is one that should just be retired!

Have fun on all of your trips, hope you get to practice your new skills in blue water soon!

Rockhound76
08-15-2007, 10:09
I think I'll skip on the 2' viz and do the 6' feet (post classes) at Blue Lagoon.

Some of my favorite dives have been in L. Travis when the viz was up (*relatively-speaking). 6'-8' would be okay. 2' feet is more like "finger touch" diving.

dallasdivergirl
08-15-2007, 10:46
Jeff,

Thanks for all of your help with working out tables, cooking, providing shade in the hot sun.

It was great to meet you and Sally.

Next time I will bring the TV!