PDA

View Full Version : Best Pizza

Black-Gorrilla
08-30-2008, 12:13
since this is the Man laws forum... and we have a beer thread at almost 400 posts... a sandwich thread at almost 200... why not discuss some pizza?
NY, Chicago, home made... pizza from other countries...
Lets see were this goes.

(i will post my favorite in a bit... gonna see what you guys have first)

Gumby
08-30-2008, 13:41
Chicago deep dish - Pizzeria Due (http://www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-due-chicago)

sravin1
08-30-2008, 15:13
agree although both uno and due (both from the same establishment are good)

also love giordanos.

JCAT
08-30-2008, 16:05
My wife taught me how to make pizza and now I am chief-pizza maker-in charge at home. Although, I know of some really good pizza and hoagie shops up North.

Here in the South, I know where the best BBQ is on the planet.

Warren
08-30-2008, 18:27
Gaetano's... Old Highway 80 in Lakeside/El Cajon...

MMmmmmmmm

highdesert
08-30-2008, 18:38
Carbone's Deep Dish ... Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis :smiley20:

Duckydiver
08-30-2008, 20:23
NY pizza, hand down!

Black-Gorrilla
08-30-2008, 21:39
since i started this earlier... i've been fiending for some pizza... but gonna have to go with some d'giorno or something

best pizza ever... hmmm... Brasil makes awesome pizza (alot of italians went to brasil in the past...)
thin thin crust... not soggy... but not crispy... good cheese and a lot of garlic!!! (like a full top layer of garlic)

GIFFMANN
08-30-2008, 21:47
The best pizza I have EVER had comes from New Haven, CT. Either the Spot or Pepes. Still made in 80+ year old stone ovens. Nothing finer anywhere!

Welcome to The Original Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana (http://www.pepespizzeria.com/)

mrbheagney
08-31-2008, 17:23
My favourite pizza is a party size with extra chees and an entire cow on top.

NeveSSL
08-31-2008, 17:46
Personally my absolute favorite was a company in Sevierville, TN when I worked there. Its a huge tourist area, so I'm sure at least a few of you have at least heard of it (Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg).

Anyway, it was called Flying Farkles Pizza. They used whole pieces of freshly-cooked bacon and that alone was enough to make me fall in love, but their pizzas were also HUGE and cut in squares. Absolutely perfect!

Unfortunately they didn't last long. :( Only about a year or so and then they were gone. :(

Brandon

fire diver
08-31-2008, 17:52
Chicago, Giordano's. Best pizza in my life, and I used to make my own when I ran a Little Ceasars.

Now one of my terps tells me there is a better pizza joint in Chi-town, so I will have to go check it out next year.

bubble-head
08-31-2008, 18:53
The best pizza here in Gloucester, VA is Sal's a local place. I can't stand fast food pizza places. It's NY style.

Joe_Tucker
09-01-2008, 20:52
Chicago - Giordano's or Gino's East.

kong
09-01-2008, 21:12
Anything from Pisa Pizza in Chattanooga is good. Their chicken and artichoke with white sauce is the best. Calzones are great too. Really cheap and can last for a few meals.

Black-Gorrilla
09-01-2008, 22:06
let me mention a place worth stopping by after a dive in the keys... i think it's at mile marker 94... Tower of Pizza.
OH SO GOOD!! the crust is good, the sauce is good!! it's all good... and i can order a pie as the boat is pulling in and pick it up to eat on the drive back to Kendall.

kong
09-01-2008, 22:24
Anything from Pisa Pizza in Chattanooga is good. Their chicken and artichoke with white sauce is the best. Calzones are great too. Really cheap and can last for a few meals.

Also as far as generic pizza you can get anywhere, peperoni and bacon would be my favorite.

K9Pig
09-01-2008, 22:35
Jerry's Pizza in Sioux City, Iowa is probably my all time favorite... Canadian Bacon with green olives :smiley20:... Not a wood fire grilled oven though. Great now I'm hungry....

CFDAlden
09-02-2008, 00:16
NY Style, ham / pineapple / bacon / garlic. :) There's a place down the road, little local joint that does it perfect!

thor
09-02-2008, 09:10
Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, right under the bridge.

turnpikemike
09-02-2008, 09:25
Grimaldi's - good, Pepe's - good, Gino's East (and some other Chicago ones) - good

Coal Vines in Southlake, TX is one of my newer favorites, it's a New York-style place (which isn't actually what you might think if you haven't been to New York - Grimaldi's, Lombardi's, etc.)
I like Pizzeria Regina here in Boston a lot.

I like a lot of pizzas, though.

cowgirldiver
09-02-2008, 09:29
Hideaway Pizza (the original), here in Stillwater, OK-started out as a hole in the wall place-moved to a bigger location and now have a few restaurants various places in OK. Kind of expensive-so it's not like you get it all the time. I love the Pizza of the Gods and the Mediterranean. There is always the Hideaway special-every slice is different for when you have a group that can't decide (course then everyone wants the same slices). Of course, if you eat in, you have to get the fried mushrooms so you can totally burn the top of your mouth!!!

h2odragon1
09-02-2008, 10:03
I go to CICI's at least once a week. Decent pizza for the price. Otherwise, I used to go to Dominoe's and order a Bacon and Pepperoni pizza.
Cholesterol in it's best!!:smiley20:

Lone Frogman
09-02-2008, 10:21
Johnny's New York Style Pizza.

GIFFMANN
09-02-2008, 10:46
I go to CICI's at least once a week. Decent pizza for the price. Otherwise, I used to go to Dominoe's and order a Bacon and Pepperoni pizza.
Cholesterol in it's best!!:smiley20:

Wow, you actually admit to eating CiCis on a "best pizza" thread? You've got bigger balls than I do!

Admittedly, you cannot beat the price, but the quality is a bit lacking. My kids love the place, though, and we have one opening up just around the corner from us.

MSilvia
09-02-2008, 11:33
Spuckies Pizza and Subs in Quincy, MA has some of the best pizza I've tasted... much better IMHO than the popularly regarded "best" local pizzas in Boston's North End. Fantastic home-made meatball topping, and they can even get the tricky toppings like eggplant to come out so they're deliciously crispy breaded treats instead of soggy, limp wafers of goo only a starving vegetarian could love. For me, eggplant pizza is the test of a good pizza place. There are only two kinds of eggplant pizza... delicious or freakin' disgusting. The vast majority of pizza places can't do it right.

There are several dozen perfectly good pizza places that are closer to home, but I still routinely buy from Spuckies even though it's a half hour away and outside of delivery range.

andyrent
09-02-2008, 11:38
Star Pizza, Deep Dish. Located in Houston, TX.

Black-Gorrilla
09-02-2008, 12:06
all this pizza talk... makes me want to eat pizza...

The Big Cheese on us1 and 67? in miami... they have a pizza so good... that im gonna go eat there today!!!
this is what im talking about here:
The great whiteNo tomato sauce on this one, folks. Olive oil and raw garlic sauce, topped with ricotta and grated Parmesan and light mozzarella. It's a white pizza! Italian Restaurant, Dine In, Take Out, Big Cheese of Miami, FL (http://www.bigcheesemiami.com/) and with that cat in a trench coat logo... you cant go wrong.

fire diver
09-02-2008, 16:06
Hideaway Pizza (the original), here in Stillwater, OK-started out as a hole in the wall place-moved to a bigger location and now have a few restaurants various places in OK. Kind of expensive-so it's not like you get it all the time. I love the Pizza of the Gods and the Mediterranean. There is always the Hideaway special-every slice is different for when you have a group that can't decide (course then everyone wants the same slices). Of course, if you eat in, you have to get the fried mushrooms so you can totally burn the top of your mouth!!!

Oh man, Hideaway.........

I miss that place. Used to be a regular there many years ago. I always loved the fried moz sticks. Nothing in this pizza thread made me hungry until you mentioned the Hideaway.

I am going to have to go there when I get back. And to Kyoto. Best sushi I've had..... damn I'm hungry now. (and who can say no to Joe's fowl-thing and cheese fries)

maverick
09-02-2008, 21:19
New York style pizza U can't beat it.

jwdizney
09-02-2008, 21:25
Chicago - Giordano's or Gino's East.
DITTO!!!
although, Giordano's is my favorite of the two....italian sausage, peperoni and green olives....

turnpikemike
09-04-2008, 10:32
Spuckies Pizza and Subs in Quincy, MA has some of the best pizza I've tasted... much better IMHO than the popularly regarded "best" local pizzas in Boston's North End.

Spukie's is good (I live about 1/2 mile away, right up Water St.), but I usually get their subs or enormous bowls of spaghetti when I eat there. I've only had their pizza a few times, and liked it every time.

marchand
09-04-2008, 12:55
Satchell's in Gainesville, FL has the best pizza ever.

torrey
09-04-2008, 13:21
Best pizza I ever had was a hard-to-find tiny place in Taos, NM called Outback. Pretty much everything they use is locally grown. I miss that place.

Black-Gorrilla
09-04-2008, 14:40
Satchell's in Gainesville, FL has the best pizza ever.

details please.

caroln
09-04-2008, 15:06

Real NY pizza beats NY style pizza in my book :smiley2:

GIFFMANN
09-04-2008, 15:35

Real NY pizza beats NY style pizza in my book :smiley2:

And New Haven pizza trumps them both!!! :smiley20:

ScottZeagle
09-04-2008, 15:36
Chicago, Giordano's.

I have to agree with this. I have eaten pizza in a lot of places, but Giordanos is simply awesome!!!

I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago (flew up to see Eddie Vedder play a couple solo acoustic shows) and on Friday I went to the Cubs game, followed by a visit to Giordanos for a pie!!!

Great stuff!!!

Black-Gorrilla
09-04-2008, 18:20
i don't know about all this Chicago deep dish stuff... too messy... not convenient... and every time I've had it i burned my mouth and got it on my shirt

turnpikemike
09-04-2008, 18:30
... pizza from other countries...

I had a few good ones in the Netherlands. One was the "tutti frutti," which was like a regular pizza with a can of del monte fruit cocktail poured on top. I liked it.