PDA

View Full Version : housing maintenace

Scotttyd
08-30-2008, 21:05
I have recently purchased an ikelite housing (coolpix pakage). I know I need to lube the o-ring, but I was wanting to know what maintenace I have to do on the control buttons (not sure of the proper term). There are no o-rings on them, and I have seen some salt accumulation one time where I must not have rinsed the houseing well. Is there anything else I have to do to ensure proper functioning?

Aussie
08-31-2008, 03:52
I have recently purchased an ikelite housing (coolpix pakage). I know I need to lube the o-ring, but I was wanting to know what maintenace I have to do on the control buttons (not sure of the proper term). There are no o-rings on them, and I have seen some salt accumulation one time where I must not have rinsed the houseing well. Is there anything else I have to do to ensure proper functioning?

I actually dont lube my o-ring on my Ikelite dSLR rear door.

I soak my housing (without the camera in it) for a while. If its very salty I use warm soapy water to remove the salt.

Other than that I dont do anything to the housing.

Regards Mark

drako
08-31-2008, 09:15
Do not lube it to much....very light coating. I have had it fail over the oring being too lubed up.

JasonDPG
08-31-2008, 12:56
I'd avoid soap actually. Water is fine. Also, there technically are o-rings in every single button/control - but they are not user serviceable or maintainable. Best thing is to always rinse the housing immediately upon leaving the water. If that is not possible, keep it damp - normally i'll dip a towel in saltwater and wrap the housing in it until i can rinse it iff. I also always carry a bottle of frsh water onto boats that don;t have fresh rinse tanks. I'd rather dehydrate than let my housing salt up :)

Daved
08-31-2008, 16:27
Just fresh water after the dive--2 litre bottle. Then when back home into the tub. Rinse. Camera out. Close case and back into tub. Press all the buttons, turn dials--forward and back. Remove from rinse tank, remove o ring and place in zip lock, close case--keeps dust out, dirt--etc. Look at pics.

Aussie
09-02-2008, 06:46
I got this from the Ikelite manual:

Rinse the housing exterior thoroughly in fresh water after each
salt water use. Depress push buttons several times during rinse.
Dry with a soft cloth. Dry port to eliminate water spotting.
After several uses in salt water soak the housing in a mild soap
solution, rinse and dry.

Regards Mark

CompuDude
09-03-2008, 13:50
A good long soak after diving is always a good idea. When I get home, I fill the sink with water and toss the housing in. Push every button a few times, and walk away until the next day. Swish, repeat the button pushing, and let it dry. Good to go.

One thing that could help a little with the salt is to use distilled water to soak it. Also, warm (not hot, just nice warm) water will be more agressive in dissolving salt solids than cold water. A splash of vinegar into the mix can help as well, but don't use too much as it can be hard on the o-rings.

teerlkay
11-25-2008, 21:40
+1 I give my camera a good rinse after every dive - but when I return home I give it a good long overnight soak. Never had any problems.