PDA

View Full Version : Balmorhea?

torrey
08-13-2007, 09:54
Does anybody have any reports on Balmorhea in West Texas? Looking at the state park website, they don't talk much about it, and I can't seem to find a lot of other information about it. I noticed from the state park website, there's a pool, and then there are "wetlands". Is the diving in the pool or the wetlands (or both)? Has anybody done a night dive there? I love to camp, so that's a plus. Are there other things to see and do around there? Overall, would it be worth the 8-9-or-so-hour trip out there?

scubatexastony
08-17-2007, 14:26
Does anybody have any reports on Balmorhea in West Texas? Looking at the state park website, they don't talk much about it, and I can't seem to find a lot of other information about it. I noticed from the state park website, there's a pool, and then there are "wetlands". Is the diving in the pool or the wetlands (or both)? Has anybody done a night dive there? I love to camp, so that's a plus. Are there other things to see and do around there? Overall, would it be worth the 8-9-or-so-hour trip out there?

The "pool" is a natural area with a damn built during the WMA era, making a swimming area of about 1 acre. Max depth in the center of the ravine is about 22 ft. and the water is crystal clear, spring fed, and stays in the low 70's year round. There's catfish, turtles and some small local fish.

They have cabins at a reasonable rate, and the moutains are an hour or so drive away. It's beautiful country. Here's some u/w photos and a couple around the cabin area, wish I would have taken a couple of the topside of the "pool". http://www.allenhost.com/gallery/v/scubatexastony-photos/album48/

Definately worth making at least one trip to say you've been there!!!!

~tony

foo
08-20-2007, 00:58
We've wanted to make the trip, but we could get to Destin faster from our part of Texas. ;)

torrey
08-20-2007, 09:26
We've wanted to make the trip, but we could get to Destin faster from our part of Texas. ;)

What's Destin? And what part of Texas are you in?

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 09:58
Nice pictures...very clear for freshwater

mm_dm
08-20-2007, 12:41
I've dove there many times, day and night. It's a great place and a very EASY dive. If you get in early, like when the ranger opens the gate, sometimes the big turtles come out looking for food. Right up the street is the Observatory and the scenery on the drive up and nearby is awesome. It's a great place to relax.

dbsea
08-20-2007, 16:21
The vis is always perfect at the B & a night at the Davis Mountain State Park is relaxing (good Texmex at their restaurant).

Illini_Fan
08-20-2007, 16:32
Destin that Foo refers to would be Destin, FL and the Destin Jetties. I haven't made it there, but it seems like a decent three-day weekend location that doesn't involve flying. Travel time from the North Dallas 'burbs is estimated at 12 hours.

foo
08-21-2007, 01:14
Destin that Foo refers to would be Destin, FL and the Destin Jetties. I haven't made it there, but it seems like a decent three-day weekend location that doesn't involve flying. Travel time from the North Dallas 'burbs is estimated at 12 hours.

Thanks, Illini! We haven't made it to the jetties yet, either, but it's definitely on our dive plan. If we find ourselves out in W.Texas, we'd love to dive Balmorhea. The Dallas newspaper had a full-page article about the pool, not too long ago. It made it sound (and look- color pics) like a must-do dive for Texans. At least once.

Torrey, we're a couple of hours east of Dallas, so getting to the Florida panhandle would be about the same amount of time as us traveling to Balmorhea. Sorry if it was confusing!

torrey
08-21-2007, 11:58
Thanks for all the help, guys. I love camping at state parks, and it sounds like this place will be worth the trip given the diving, observatory, low-humidity, and the mountains. Now if I can just find the time, hehe.

gtjason2000
08-24-2007, 10:49
I believe it is an altitude dive right?

mm_dm
08-24-2007, 10:55
If I recall it sits at about 3500 feet and qualifies as an altitude dive.

gtjason2000
08-24-2007, 11:10
Dang I just checked and it is a 6 hour drive from dallas, but those pictures looked so awesome.

torrey
08-24-2007, 13:07
You must be a helluva driver, hehe. I've been told about 8-9 hours from Dallas. I would probably want to make it an extended weekend trip as I've also never been to Big Bend National Park a little south of there.

gtjason2000
08-24-2007, 13:25
i come from grand prairie and google is quoting 463 miles 7 h or 66 mph but if I do 75-80 mph it makes it 6 h

BobArnold8265
09-07-2007, 12:20
I dove Balmorhea a few years back and had a great time. It's not a challanging dive and you only go down about 25 feet or so. There are lots of fish and fresh water turtles there which in my opinion made it worth while. We also went to Big Bend on that trip. No diving there but lots of outstanding hiking.