PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cayman

dagrath
09-01-2008, 12:43
We have a short trip to Grand Cayman coming up in October, and I was curious about the recommended diving. We would be there for 4 days, 2 of which would be diving days mostly likely.

We are all fairly new, with a few in the group having only done their cert dives and no others. I have logged about a dozen shore dives in frosty Monterey, and have never done any boat diving.

What are our options, and what would you all recommend?

I am looking forward to diving somewhere warm with hopefully high vis. :smiley20:

pir8
09-01-2008, 13:51
I've dove with Sunset House and watched them deal favorably with beginners

mselizann
09-01-2008, 19:09
I am going to recommend Don Fosters of course. Love it there- it's very affordable- sure, they won't carry your gear for you, or set up your gear, or any of that..........but the best deal on the island.

dagrath
09-01-2008, 19:45
Thanks, I will look into both of these.

Since we are shore divers, we aren't used to mints on our pillows or anything like that. :)

mselizann
09-01-2008, 20:38
I don't even know what Don Fosters charges for shore diving- but it has to be cheap- and it is AWESOME from their place (we get free shore diving with our boat dives, and take advantage of it). In Jan, last time we were there, we saw turtles, an octopus, and tons of amazing coral...

Rockhound76
09-02-2008, 09:02
Foster's handles beginners well. We spent a couple of weeks with Dive Tech (northside) but decided to do a westside dive with Fosters about halfway through. My teenage son described the dives as some of his most memorable of that trip.

Yes, the boat had more divers than we were used to and yes, some of them were inexperienced. It's a big ocean, so we just moved away from the crowd/guide a bit and had some fantastic dives.

The boats were very well run and the crews were more "service oriented" than Dive Tech. While I'm not normally comfortable with folks handling my gear, I liked that they us sit on the gunwale while they removed our tanks. This saved a lot of time between dives and our regs were ACD, so no worries on contamination.

rxatrix
11-06-2008, 15:28
It's all good! Both Sunset House and Don Foster's have excellent facilities for shore diving and encourage it, no matter what your skill level is.

SynCitizen
11-07-2008, 04:26
We have a short trip to Grand Cayman coming up in October....
How did the trip go? Did you have any interesting experiences or recommendations to share?

Empacher
11-07-2008, 07:03
I dove from the shore at DF's and loved it...A short swim brought us tons of sea life and great coral....Didn't see a turtle, but was told that they were around...i recommend this place highly!!

mselizann
11-07-2008, 12:43
I dove from the shore at DF's and loved it...A short swim brought us tons of sea life and great coral....Didn't see a turtle, but was told that they were around...i recommend this place highly!!
I'm so glad! We saw turtles shore diving from there.......30 days -can't wait!

CoralKisser
11-18-2008, 16:48
Dont know if Im to late to reply to this but I dove with Ocean Frontiers in June 2007. Great bunch of people and a lot of fun. They have lots of great dive sites.

Ocean Frontiers - Grand Cayman Islands, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Vacation Packages (http://www.oceanfrontiers.com/)