PDA

View Full Version : BCD fit help

sarahv
09-01-2008, 17:25
Sorry to add to the many prior posts on BCD fit. I have a specific question that I'm hoping someone can help with. On numerous dives with rented BCDs (men's fit), I keep hitting my head on the 1st stage - no matter how low this is mounted. From prior posts, it seems that the Zena Zeagle is a great option (just have to try and find it in England!). Has anyone had a good experience in this respect with a Mares or Tusa women's BCD - these seem to be easier to come by over here.... I am 5'9, 135lbs and 36AA - surprisingly, I must have a short back for this problem to have arisen.....

Thanks!

Sarah

Lulubelle
09-30-2008, 21:28
Hi Sarah

I too have had a problem with the 1st stage hitting my head when I was wearing the rental BCDs! Perhaps for the same reason. I am 5'10" but am all leg, so I have a shorter/smaller shoulder/back than one would expect for my height/size. I have tried on every women's and men's BCD around. I have finally settled on the Zeagle Lazer. Primarily because I am very busty and the Zena was not comfortable for me in the chest. I couldn't find a Lazer to try on here so I am entrusting myself to ST's good care for this purchase. So try on the ladies models you find near where you live, but pay attention to where they don't fit and this should help you know which direction to go in.

Aussheplady
09-30-2008, 22:15
I bought a Zena and LOVE it, but I went through class and certified with Mares Keila and it was pretty comfortable too, I just prefered the look of the Zena and after actually diving with it, I prefer the comfort/fit of it too.

coral cowgirl
10-01-2008, 18:43
"I have finally settled on the Zeagle Lazer. Primarily because I am very busty and the Zena was not comfortable for me in the chest."

Zenagirl
10-01-2008, 19:19
"I have finally settled on the Zeagle Lazer. Primarily because I am very busty and the Zena was not comfortable for me in the chest."

Yeah, I have to say that as a busty woman myself, I really like the Zena better than other BCs. Probably because the corset design puts the holding power of the BC on the torso under the bust instead of anywhere near it. At least for me......everyone certainly has different experiences. :D

gNats
10-01-2008, 20:51
I chose the Mares Aliikai. I am 5'3" just under 115 lbs. This is a back bladder BCD with integrated weights. It is also advertised as a great travel BCD because it compresses up tightly.

I tried on several BCDs and went with this one for its lightweight design and the back bladder feature. I don't feel as if my arms or waistline is restricted by the side air bellows.

This was my first BCD so I didn't have a real comparison to other styles. Therefore, I've not had a problem adjusting to the back bladder design. I have read on other boards that some women feel pushed forward compared to the other models. I've just naturally compensated for that while learning how to scuba.

Diver Kat
10-01-2008, 21:58
Yeah, I have to say that as a busty woman myself, I really like the Zena better than other BCs. Probably because the corset design puts the holding power of the BC on the torso under the bust instead of anywhere near it. At least for me......everyone certainly has different experiences. :DI swear .... I think we're related ... are you sure you're not my long lost sister??? You think exactly like I do!!:smiley36:

Zenagirl
10-02-2008, 07:33
I swear .... I think we're related ... are you sure you're not my long lost sister??? You think exactly like I do!!:smiley36:

I'm adopted, so it could definitely be possible! ;) Actually, I think this is just a case of "great minds think alike!" I hope we find ourselves going to the same place someday so we can meet in person, and maybe even dive together. :D

Splitlip
10-03-2008, 21:40
Sorry to add to the many prior posts on BCD fit. I have a specific question that I'm hoping someone can help with. On numerous dives with rented BCDs (men's fit), I keep hitting my head on the 1st stage - no matter how low this is mounted. From prior posts, it seems that the Zena Zeagle is a great option (just have to try and find it in England!). Has anyone had a good experience in this respect with a Mares or Tusa women's BCD - these seem to be easier to come by over here.... I am 5'9, 135lbs and 36AA - surprisingly, I must have a short back for this problem to have arisen.....

Thanks!

Sarah
Ok, I was not going to say it. But in as much as I was slimed in another thread, I will say it.

In order for me to help you, you most post a picture. As should the other girls.
:ttiuwop:

Man card be damned. I am secure in my sexuality.

Diver Kat
10-03-2008, 23:26
Ok, I was not going to say it. But in as much as I was slimed in another thread, I will say it.

In order for me to help you, you most post a picture. As should the other girls.

Tim, Tim, Tim .... you just cannot stay out of the Women's Issue's .... maybe pulling the man card isn't the real issue ... maybe we need to take up a collection for a sex change op, so you can hang out here without being hassled????:smilie39:

Diver Kat
10-03-2008, 23:28
I swear .... I think we're related ... are you sure you're not my long lost sister??? You think exactly like I do!!:smiley36:

I'm adopted, so it could definitely be possible! ;) Actually, I think this is just a case of "great minds think alike!" I hope we find ourselves going to the same place someday so we can meet in person, and maybe even dive together. :D

Would love to run into you one day ... especially diving somewhere! Until then, I guess we'll keep the Zeagle Zena Fan Club going!! :smiley36:

Splitlip
10-03-2008, 23:54

Tim, Tim, Tim .... you just cannot stay out of the Women's Issue's .... maybe pulling the man card isn't the real issue ... maybe we need to take up a collection for a sex change op, so you can hang out here without being hassled????:smilie39:

:smiley36: LOL

Quero
10-04-2008, 04:57
I wear a SeaQuest Diva. It has a wrap-around style with stretchy front panels so that the BCD doesn't twist around under the arms while keeping everything in place without getting too tight. I can also get the cumberbund snug. It's a back-inflate model with integrated weight pouches and trim weight pouches on the cam band. Very happy with it.

divechaplain-sara
10-05-2008, 01:23
The Zena is the only women's BC I've tried. I really like mine. I too had problems in the men's BC, i.e. hitting my head on the 1st stage. For me it was an issue of the waist/cumberband for the bc. If it was fitted around my waist, it made the shoulders too high and the shoulder area was loose as well. I had some really trying times with the tank weight shifting from side to side--creates some real bouancy issues. I am short waisted and have a very distinct waist line with hips below and bust above and every cumberbund I've ever met is too wide for the 2 inch indention between my ribcage and hips which means I often wound up trying to fasten the cumberbund around my ribcage (because it wouldn't begin to fit around my hips) which put a squeeze on breathing in addition to getting the location of the 1st stage and tank messed up--too high. So it is important to get a BC that the waist fits around your waist. The Zena is able to expand for hips which lets me get the waist in the right spot and amazingly everything else winds up where it is supposed to be as well.

Zenagirl
10-05-2008, 08:23
Wow, I think you summed up exactly why I hate cumberbuns!! I've never thought that perhaps it was because they force the BC to sit in the entirely wrong spot on my body. I remember the tank shift too, man that used to drive me insane. Thanks for explaining how you feel, you hit the nail on the head for me too. :D

But again, everyone's experiences will be different, which is why I encourage people to try on as many BCs as they can, including "mens" styles. It's about finding the perfect one for you, not the most popular one, or the one that a friend has.

aperkins
10-15-2008, 09:13
I have a Scubapro Compaq BC that seems to fit very well. It is woman specific and in response to the OP statement it is probably available in the UK

Merrimorte
10-27-2008, 23:07
I have a Scubapro Compaq BC that seems to fit very well. It is woman specific and in response to the OP statement it is probably available in the UK

Well since someone said SP... why not try the Lady hawk too?

noaf
10-29-2008, 13:48
for me as abusty women ,,, tuzaaa fits me the most ')

Skuttle
10-29-2008, 14:05
I went a entirely different route. I went for a backplate/bladder/and harness setup. Was tired of messing around with any cumerbun set up. I couldn't be happier! I can adjust the harness to fit exactly where I want it to and never have to mess with it again, unless of course I go up or down in weight.

Zenagirl
10-29-2008, 15:51
I tried a BP/wing configuration and absolutely hated the way it felt. Since I hate cumberbuns too, the Zeagle Zena was the perfect compromise....instead of a BP/wing it is a corset/wing! :D

dallasdivergirl
11-08-2008, 06:49
if you can get oceanic you might consider the islander. it's a light weight travel model with back inflate.

I looked at the zena but I am not a fan of zippers and I have to have pockets. I ended up with the brigade. I am 5 foot 6.5 inches and 108 lbs & I am not in the busty category. I am sort of long in the waist so that helps me some with not hitting my head on my tank.

BlueC5Kitten
11-10-2008, 10:01
I'm very short all over (5'1") and rather busty, but have had no problems with the cumberbund in my SP Ladyhawk, largely because it is solely back-inflate. I don't have to worry about compression around my ribs/waist, find the fit comfortable and well-suited for me...but again, YMMV!

Good luck in finding something that fits!

Incidentally, I can no longer rent BCs as the tank is always mounted too high up and I am always hitting my head on the first stage, but with my Ladyhawk, I have the tank riding low enough (I often use HP80 steels) that I don't have to worry about hitting my head or kicking my tank.

Splitlip
11-10-2008, 11:25
Come on you 2. You're setting me up and I know. Then Foo's gonna be all over me like hanging chads on a Florida presidential ballot.

Foo2
11-10-2008, 12:59
Come on you 2. You're setting me up and I know. Then Foo's gonna be all over me like hanging chads on a Florida presidential ballot.

LOL!!!:smilie40: