PDA

View Full Version : Trying to encourage my wife to take her OW

Joe_Tucker
09-01-2008, 22:41
I have been trying to convince my wife for the past 5 years to get her OW cert. She says she will but never has. Anyone have similar issues? Tips would be appreciated.

Don Wray
09-01-2008, 22:46
Hi Joe. I know how much you want her to take her class. Just be very careful that she does it because she wants to and not because you want her to. The students that I have that have the most difficulty are the ones taking the class to please their significant other. Try to make her think it's her idea, take photos of your dive trips, never say anything about crumby divers that you see. Take her snorkeling in a great location and let her see how great it is, then offer to buy her a discover scuba session. Let her go alone on the discover scuba or with others, not you. That way she can see if she likes it without worry that she would be disappointing you. If she really wants to, she'll continue then on her own. My wife doesn't dive either. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

kong
09-01-2008, 22:48
All I can really think of is telling her that it will let the two of you spend more time together doing something that you both enjoy.

Mine can't wait to take hers. I even rented "Open Water" the other night and she still wants to so I can't think of anything else to tell you.

scuba007
09-01-2008, 23:07
My wife bought me the OW crewpack as a Christmas present. I gave one to my son on his birthday, and now the whole family are PADI OW certified.

rawalker
09-01-2008, 23:31
I made a deal with my wife if she took up scuba I'd take up golf.
She finished her OW cert in June and has done a couple of dives since then.
I asked her the other day when she wants to play golf but there doesn't seem to be a rush. I won't ask again.

Joe_Tucker
09-01-2008, 23:42
Thanks you guys. They more I think about the more I think - our hobby is potentially dangerous, I probably shouldn't make a big deal out of it. If I have to dive with another buddy, so be it. I'd hate to need her at 100' and her not be able to make a decision because she doesn't want to be there in the first place.

hooligan
09-01-2008, 23:46
Don't forget... if both of you are divers, it costs twice as much ;)

kong
09-01-2008, 23:48
You could ask her to do something extremely dangerous like skydiving or hang gliding. Then when you suggest scuba, it doesn't seem as dangerous.

Diver Kat
09-01-2008, 23:49
I have been trying to convince my wife for the past 5 years to get her OW cert. She says she will but never has. Anyone have similar issues? Tips would be appreciated.My husband pushed me for a year or two because he didn't want to get certified alone. I had a few reservations about getting certified, which is initially why I stalled. (I thought I was too old, he was pushing too hard, didn't want to be an idiot in class, and so on ...) Find out what's really holding her back ... and that may help. Let her choose her own instructor - that was a big one for me .... maybe get her signed up on the Boards where she can chat with other women, maybe that will make her feel more comfortable and she can get any questions she has answered ... I will say I kick myself now for not getting certified sooner ...

drako
09-02-2008, 00:31
My SO wanted to dive for about a year and thought it was really great. I think half the reason she wanted to was because she could spend (watch over me) some time with me.
She was either worrying that the classes were not flexible enough or that the classes that were flexible were too expensive.
So I just ended up paying for half of the private course :D
She was ecstatic....however she is still not 100% comfortable with everything and truth be told I get a little bit uneasy when I am with her in the water then my other dive buddy's with the same experience.

LCF
09-02-2008, 02:44
My husband tried for about 15 years to get me to dive. He wasn't diving actively, though, and didn't try very hard. I always said, "Yeah, someday." Then I drank more than was good for me at an auction and bought a trip to Australia, and he said, "Now, you HAVE to learn how to dive!" So I did. I'm sure he sometimes wishes he hadn't said anything . . .

Be careful what you wish for. You could create a monster!

OTGav
09-02-2008, 03:05
Get her in the sea, just swimming / snorking about.

Nice and relaxed is the best way.

All those pretty fish to look at.

Then hold her under for about 30 seconds, just before she blacks out, let her up and say "think how much much more confortable you would have been on SCUBA"

What?

:smiley31:

h2odragon1
09-02-2008, 11:14
It took me three years to get my wife under the water. She took her pool and classroom lessons locally. I knew if she tried her OW dives locally, she would not like it, (green water, mono-chromatic fish, vis about 10-20 ft.) so she endorsed to a dive operation in the Philippines. She started to panic first, and I was ready to end our diving careers, but she was exited at all the colors. Show her pictures of were she could dive if she took her lessons, and endorsed to the Gulf or the Carribean, then actually make those plans.:smilie40::smilie40:

Warren
09-02-2008, 12:02
Just be very careful that she does it because she wants to and not because you want her to. The students that I have that have the most difficulty are the ones taking the class to please their significant other.

Ditto, had two of these ladies on my OW class...

Not a good time. In the end, one made it, the other decided that snorkeling was far enough and they could still somewhat share in the activity.

Aussheplady
09-16-2008, 21:03
It really needs to be her decision in the end. My husband and I have NO common interests and he really wanted me to learn to dive so that we could do something together. (I have no interest in his primary hobby of fast draw competitions and he has no interest in my dog shows) We went to Australia 3 years ago and I decided to give it a try. I was honestly doing it more for his sake than mine and found myself pushing myself more than I should have and caused more anxiety than I would have had if I had just taken things nice and slow with my comfort level. I QUIT 3/4 of the way through the pool work and just snorkled the rest of our trip. He was pleased that I at least tried and I honestly really had no intention of trying again.

Fast forward another 3 years and after watching Discovery channel daily (he is in Iraq so can't screen my television. LOL), I decided that "I" wanted to try again. I had a friend recommend a good instructor, I paid the extra for the semi private lessons (no pressure that way), bought my own reg so I wouldn't have the difficult breathing problem I had with the rental in Australia and gave it a go. I figured if I made it, GREAT, if I didn't, well, the hubby got a new reg.

I made it with no problems this time and he has no problems with my insisting on having my own equip rather than rental. He is just happy that I am willing to go and if I need the security of knowing my equip is well maintained, than by all means, buy it. LOL

We are meeting in Cozumel next month for 2 weeks of diving together. I can honestly say that I am happy I chose to try again, but I know had he pushed me to do so, I never would have.

Course now, I have to cut back on some dog shows to afford to buy scuba gear. LOL

sea princess
10-31-2008, 16:15
There has been some great advice shared here. My husband tried the discover scuba when we were in cancun 12 years ago and he didn't really care for it. partly because he feared he couldn't clear his mask if it flooded and partly because he just didn't like it. I loved every moment of it and vowed to certify someday.
This year I had him come take a discover class at our LDS and he learned to clear his mask fine but still said "I am not excited about it nor do i have a passion like you do for it" I was very disappointed but i don't want to pressure him into doing something he doesn't want to do. I know that if i pushed it his macho ego will kick in and he will take the class. I don't want it to be like that. He has to want to learn. There are too many risks pushing someone to dive when they don't want to learn. It stinks that i have to find a buddy to go diving but i have some friends that dive and don't mind a third person tagging along.
I do however share all the adventures and my excitement with him and he loves to see the pictures from the trips. I do have him commited to the next dive vacation to snorkel while i scuba. So maybe the more into it i get and the more fun he sees me having the more he will reconsider trying. Just share your passion and excitement with her but give her room to say yes or no to the sport. Besides we couldn't afford for both of us to start at the same time!

SynCitizen
10-31-2008, 16:54
My SO and I, had taken a week vacation to Cozumel and I managed to talk her into the resort class the hotel offered. She absolutely loved it! I did a few dives with the class and later went off for dives she couldnt do without being cert'd. Jealousy combined with her recent taste of scuba led to her getting her OW and now AOW.
Absolutely great way (IF both want it) to spend more time together in some of the most beautiful places the planet can offer.

monant
10-31-2008, 17:08
Try and find what her reservations are. She may have a fear about some aspect of SCUBA. If you can discover what it is, you may be able to dispel it with education. Many people fear what they don't understand. Once she knows some basic information regarding SCUBA she can make an informed decision on whether or not she wants to learn.

rumblefish
11-01-2008, 01:03
Another idea would be to recruit some of her friends to take a class with her. Maybe she doesn't feel confident to take the class alone.

monant
11-01-2008, 11:12
Another idea would be to recruit some of her friends to take a class with her. Maybe she doesn't feel confident to take the class alone.

Outstanding idea.

longtailbda
11-01-2008, 12:58
It took me 20yrs to talk my wife into diving. She tried it the first time last year and just finished her AOW cert 2 weeks ago. If you can take her to the caribbean for a trip and have her try a discover scuba course. (I'd recommend the folks at Cane Bay Scuba in St. Croix).

Good luck and be patient.

James1010
11-01-2008, 13:03
If you can get your wife to take her open water let me know how you did it I cannot even get my wife to do a discovery dive.

WV Diver
11-01-2008, 13:17
I promised my wife a tropical vacation. She certified and we went to Bonaire. Happy ending.

sea princess
11-02-2008, 20:55
I have to agree that having her recruit some of her friends to take the class with her may be the ticket. I know i would rather take a class with some people I know and feel comfortable around.

traildawg59
11-02-2008, 21:25
yes i agree with Diver Kat let her get on board and ask other female divers about it and let her pick her instructor and LDS it worked on mine maybe you will have the same luck. but it does cost double

ScubaJ
11-03-2008, 08:53
Try some hypnotherapy. :smiley2:

My wife got interested when we got salt water aquariums (or went to a big aquarium). I just told her, diving in the Caribbean is like being in a giant one where you can get up close to all that cool stuff. She was convinced.