PDA

View Full Version : Ikelite DS 125 substrobe

mrbheagney
09-02-2008, 21:13
I have an ikelite ds125 substrobe, Nikon D70 in ikelite housing but my images are very blue, like they are not getting enough light. I have tried repositioning etc without much joy. Mostly shooting macro on 60mm with flat port and uaing TTL: Has anyone else experienced lack luster results with this strobe. I may add that I am relatively inexperienced photographer and user error is probably the cause but some hints would be great. Thanks

Aussie
09-04-2008, 22:36
I have an ikelite ds125 substrobe, Nikon D70 in ikelite housing but my images are very blue, like they are not getting enough light. I have tried repositioning etc without much joy. Mostly shooting macro on 60mm with flat port and uaing TTL: Has anyone else experienced lack luster results with this strobe. I may add that I am relatively inexperienced photographer and user error is probably the cause but some hints would be great. Thanks

I shoot with a D80 in Ikelite housing with two ds125's and I havnt had any problems.

I have posted alot of pics on this forum especially with the 60mm Macro.

I position the strobe very close to the port when shooting macro stuff.

Regards Mark

btw: post an image that you think isnt right and I will have a look at it.

DevilDiver
09-05-2008, 00:15

Post a couple of shots showing what you describe and the metadata. Blue should not be an issue especialy with macro......:smiley5:

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 02:29
See what I mean!

mrbheagney
09-06-2008, 02:31
and again

Cheddarchick
09-06-2008, 05:04
Looks like you not getting the flash at the right time. Take a picture of yourself in the mirror with the flash forced and see if it is flashing at the right time. Do you take them in Raw format? You can adjust the white balance in post production if you do...

Aussie
09-06-2008, 10:08
Are the strobes actually firing??

Sometimes I turn the strobes on but the ready light isnt on. I turn it then onto test and then back to on, then normally the ready light comes on.

Maybe also check to see if the switch in the housing is on ds125/200 and not on ds50/51.

Regards Mark

thesmoothdome
09-06-2008, 14:20
I know that when I first started shooting macro recently I would think I had the strobes set up correctly when in actuality they were off. I started practicing positioning by using the modeling light to when shooting coral. Unfortunately, the modeling light can spook a fish, so it's a lot easier to use with coral.

DevilDiver
09-06-2008, 17:57
Are your stobes firing at all? If so what shutter speed are using? I read some strobes can't sync over 1/250. From the photos you have posted I see no sign of flash at all.

mrbheagney
09-08-2008, 04:17
I'll have a bit of a play in the house and check it all out.

mrbheagney
06-14-2010, 02:57
I discovered that ds 125 sub strobes with a serial number lower than 5000 had to be returned to have the conversion circuitry updated or thy won't work with the D80 ikelite housing. I sent it in, spent big bucks, got it back and it still doesn't work, in fact it's worse than before. I'm ready to throw it at the wall now.

thesmoothdome
06-20-2010, 13:28
I discovered that ds 125 sub strobes with a serial number lower than 5000 had to be returned to have the conversion circuitry updated or thy won't work with the D80 ikelite housing. I sent it in, spent big bucks, got it back and it still doesn't work, in fact it's worse than before. I'm ready to throw it at the wall now.

Before you throw it at the wall, call Ikelite (again) and ask for Steve Johnson. Steve knows his stuff and can probably guide you through whatever is going on. At worst, he'll have you send it back. At best, it's something simple like having the slider on the bottom of the tray set to DS125/200.

Cheddarchick
06-25-2010, 18:09
Well??? Did you have any luck? I love Ikelite for thier service....