PDA

View Full Version : The Blennies - Family Blennidae.

mrbheagney
09-02-2008, 23:21
These are beautiful little fish, very curious but also timid. Quite difficult to get close to most of them but this guy the Jeweled Blenny Salarias fasciatus is not timid at all and readily poses for photographs. I like the oriental style of the antennae

NeveSSL
09-03-2008, 00:01
A tail-spot blenny is on my list of "to get fish". :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39334-tail-spot-blenny.jpg

These guys almost always have oodles of character. I have a friend who has a blenny who will literally get mad at them when they move stuff in the tank. He changes colors and all kinds of stuff! They said its really funny watching him get so worked up. :)

NeveSSL
09-03-2008, 00:02
Oh, and Starry Blennies are another fav. of mine. :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-39335-starry-blenny3.jpg

Brandon

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 00:25
Thats a pretty cool face tatoo the little guy has. Reminds me of a blue ribbon Gobie or the Arc Eye Hawkfish pictured in new thread.

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 00:33
Very cool, the Starry Blenny - where are they found naturally. Prob PNG or somewhere that has such cool critters.

NeveSSL
09-03-2008, 00:56
Yeah, its a really neat marking on their face. :) I love the arc-eyes, too!

I'm not sure where the starry blennies are from... we'll have to look it up. :)

Brandon

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 01:08
I couls not see the Starry Blenny in the Reff and Shorefish of the South Pacific guide by Randall so we can count it out of ones I am likely to see here in Tonga. I do see the leopard Blenny Exallias brevis regulary and it has the most amazing eye.

NeveSSL
09-03-2008, 01:22
Wow! That guy looks awesome!

According to this: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+23+2263&pcatid=2263

... the starry blennies are from Cebu. :)

Brandon

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 01:33
Yeah, it is really an impressive species. Yellow on the body running into pink along the flanks. It lives in the branches of Acropora Corals feeding on the Polyps. It kills off an area of the coral on which to lay its eggs alao.

wgt
09-03-2008, 07:36
Blennies are easily among my favorite bottom-dwellers, and I do spend a lot of time scouring the sea floor and reef-tops for specimens (pike blennies have recently become a great source of amusement in the sand). I suspect that there are large numbers of divers who simply swim along, never really noticing these magnificent but often tiny sentinels -- their loss.

The blennies are a truly nice addition to this section of the forum, and their great variation ensures that this thread will continue to grow. Thanks for posting, and I am always happy to see new images.

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 12:30
Were you aware that there is a particular Fangblenny Aspidontus taeniatus that impersonates the colouring and behaviour of a cleaner Wrasse however rather than cleaning it takes a bite from the unwary customer.

NeveSSL
09-03-2008, 13:47
I did not know that!

I do have a friend who is breeding fang blennies, but I'm not sure exactly which species. The ones that he's doing look like a bi-color blenny more than anything.

Brandon

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 19:07
I managed to snap a biclour Blenny Ecsenius bicolor, they are a really curious one and quite forthright.