PDA

View Full Version : Extreme dizziness during dive

mr_tabasco
09-03-2008, 02:01
OK guys I am not sure if this is the right place or this or not. My wife and I were recently certified and were getting some bubble time in prior to our trip to Cozumel. She has always had a little trouble clearing but always seems to work through it. We went down to about 30 - 35 feet in fresh water and she was havng trouble clearing. I waited on her and she seemed to get all sorted out and suggested we swim around and see what we could see. While we were swiming around I noticed she looked distressed and when I asked if she was OK she said no and thumbed the dive. When we got to the top she had a little bit of blood coming out of her nose and she said she had gotten really dizzy. She said she thought I was swiming circles around her. We stayed topside for about an hour and things cleared up and she wanted to go back down. The second time down she was fine. I am worried that she is going to have more severe problems when we get to Cozumel and was curious if anyone else has had this type of trouble and what you have done to address it. Any comment would be appreciated.

snagel
09-03-2008, 05:38
Ummm...blood coming from her nose and dizziness are not very good symptoms while diving. This could be something very simple as a sinus issue or more serious issues. I would definately have her doctor take a look at her before going to Coz or even going diving again. The issue is that if your doctor is not familiar with Dive Related Injury/Illness he/she could overlook something. Maybe a call to DAN would be appropriate and I would also suggest to here doctor to call DAN if he/she is not familiar with Diving Illnesses.

Don't want to make a big deal out of nothing, but at this point you don't know what the problem is. Again, blood from the nose are symptoms of very serious dive related illnesses (but also symptoms of a bad sinus infection)

Snagel

JCAT
09-03-2008, 05:59
Again, blood from the nose are symptoms of very serious dive related illnesses (but also symptoms of a bad sinus infection)

Could be, or maybe is the dry air we breath and sometimes irritates the upper respiratory track. Either way, I would find a doc who knows diving.

Happens to me on occasion, slightly bloody nose, not the dizziness.

IndyDiver
09-03-2008, 07:26
I wouldn't worry about the dizziness too much. My wife gets a short case of vertigo anytime one ear equalizes and the other doesn't.

I was sitting at the dinner table once about three hours after a dive and one of my ears finally "popped"; I got so dizzy for about 30 seconds, I thought I was going to fall out of the chair.

Blood from her nose is another story. It is probably just a minor sinus thing, but my rule is that blood unexpectedly coming from any orifice on my body demands a trip to the doctor.

drako
09-03-2008, 07:56
I wouldn't be taking anyones opinion on the internet. I would be going straight to a doctor that is familiar with diving. And after that Doctor another one.

wgt
09-03-2008, 08:19
The integrity of the ears really ought to be checked medically, with a thought towards preventing a recurrence. The event may truly have been benign and will not occur again. However, the risks associated with (a) recurrent injury to the ear and (b) disorientation underwater are significant for the diver and also the buddy (what if you need help while your vertiginous spouse is hanging onto a rock for dear life?!). If nothing else, a medical examination may provide some peace of mind (the fact that you asked the question clearly indicates concern).

Grin
09-03-2008, 08:48
Her description of you swimming in circles around her is mild vertigo. I have had this a few times. It is certainly ear related. There is no straight answer for a resolution though. Places to start are with congestion and did she have a hood on. If one ear clears easily but the other doesn't then one ear is stressed and the other is not which can casue vertigo. One ear cold and one warm can also cause it. And alot of other variations/stuff.
My case was resolved (so far anyway) from wearing a super tight sealed hood and, I guess, one ear had a air bubble in it and the other water. When I accended I got the mild vertigo where it felt like I was slowly turning as if in a whirlpool. the first time it hapepned to me I really thought I was in some sort of current spinning me real slow. Both my cases were with brand new hooded wetsuits, that the hood was rather tight. I punched little holes all around the ears to let water in and out, air out, etc... basically to eliminate any pressure differnces directly on the outer ear canal. I've had zero issues in quite a while since doing that. I saw DAN docs and everything else before figuring this was the issue.
Since she had blood she probably needs to direct her attention to sinuses and clearing issues. Maybe a alergist. I went to a alergist about a year ago and it has helped me alot. Alergist know more about sinuses and ears canals, and what to give you to clear them, than anyone. It may even make regular, above water, life better. It did me.
There is also a little video with a guy explaining clearing, and how to do it correct that is excellent. I do not know where to go to see it, but I bet someone will post the link. She should watch that and try some of his points. It was all over the internet about 6 months ago.

mr_tabasco
09-03-2008, 11:45
Thanks for all of the feedback. She has a history of alergy and sinus issues but she didn't seem to be congested when we dove. Just to clarify the blody nose was not like a bleeding nose but more of pink mucas. I did read some info on DAN about this and it seemed to be pretty normal for new divers for some reason. They said it was due to poor equalization and rupture of small surface blood vessels in the nasal larea. I will still recomend she get confirmmation from a doctor that things are OK.

CFDAlden
09-04-2008, 00:23
Blood from the nose can also be a forced equalization. Happenend to me on my checkouts.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 02:05
Equalise very gently, that includes not only the amount of pressure but also the amount of force in the oinch. Pinch too hard and you could burst small blood capillaries in the nose causing bleeding. The vertigo is definitely ear related and she should tell the guide about this beofre descent and her need to take some extra time.

BarbadosSlim93
10-31-2008, 08:50
This also happened to my uncle who dives quite often. It turned out to be a sinus problem.

monant
10-31-2008, 09:14
I wouldn't be taking anyones opinion on the internet. I would be going straight to a doctor that is familiar with diving. And after that Doctor another one.

I second that! Ideally, an ENT doc who SCUBA dives can make the best determination of what's going on.

mr_tabasco
10-31-2008, 09:31
Just an update. She had been checked out by a Dr. that dives and does had a history of sinus trouble. However, we just got back from a week of diving in Cozumel and she didn't have any trouble. I think it was more from anxiety and forced equalization that anything else. When she stuck her head in the water in Cozumel and saw all of the fish and coral she relaxed trremedously and was able to equalize much easier and more gentle. Thanks for all of the feedback.

BarbadosSlim93
10-31-2008, 10:27
Just an update. She had been checked out by a Dr. that dives and does had a history of sinus trouble. However, we just got back from a week of diving in Cozumel and she didn't have any trouble. I think it was more from anxiety and forced equalization that anything else. When she stuck her head in the water in Cozumel and saw all of the fish and coral she relaxed trremedously and was able to equalize much easier and more gentle. Thanks for all of the feedback.

Well it is good to hear that it doesn't seem to be too serious. Cograts on the trip to Cozumel, I'm jealous!

mr_tabasco
10-31-2008, 12:26
Yeah I don't think it was a serious condition but we told the DM about her trouble equalizing and she just took her time going down. Although, when you have spectacular scenery to look at all the way down it helps. This was our first ocean dive and other than our OW and a practice trip to a local scuba park it was our first real diving. I was parinoid she was going to have trouble and didn't want her to have a bad experience the first time out. Turns out she was more relaxed than me when we drop off of the boat the first day. Just goes to show how much difference your enviorment can make on a situation. Now I just have to figure out how to pay for this new hobby! That seems to be a more difficult problem.

monant
10-31-2008, 16:17
Glad to hear she had some good dives.