PDA

View Full Version : Fin Faster, I hear Banjos!

JCAT
08-13-2007, 12:42
For those that have seen the movie Deliverance, made in 1972, with Burt Reynolds, you’ll get a kick out of this. (pun kind of intended)

Yes, THAT movie, also starring Ned Beatty.

Filmed in and around Georgia and South Carolina, there is a very short scene filmed in my future home waters, Lake Jocassee. At the time, it was still a mountain valley and a community. Duke Power bought the surrounding area in the late 1960s. Debbie Fletcher has written a book about the history of the area and spending summers there. There is some great dive footage on her site as well. http://www.jocasseeremembered.com/

In Deliverance, there is a short scene, toward the end, of a whole graveyard being exhumed. Here’s the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZlKc9sZGHU

This scene was before the area was flooded and it is the Mt. Carmel Graveyard. After the entire area was flooded, what remained of the graveyard is usually at a depth of 135ffw or more. However, when the lake is lowered by Duke Power, the graveyard is accessible to non-tech dives.

Yesterday I finally got to dive the graveyard!!! Depth was 114’ and a balmy 51 degrees on the bottom. Empty graves, tombstones, and pine trees. Even though bottom time is limited using air, this dive is well worth it.

To give you a better idea, I found a video of some local techs diving the site. I’m not sure who the divers are, but I recognize the boat.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IymNYZzduaw

Now, I’m suffering from the 'after diving all weekend blues' and very depressed…sigh.

Foo2
08-13-2007, 13:09
Cool! Thanks for sharing JCat!

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 13:22
Awesome history and interesting stuff. The footage leaves a lot to the imagination in the beginning but the last three minutes are pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

kevinj1
08-13-2007, 13:31
that is very cool JCat--did you take any pictures or video footage?

TxScubaBear
08-13-2007, 14:08
Wow, amazing, thanks for the links!

JCAT
08-13-2007, 14:11
kevinj1,

Funny you should ask. (JCAT hangs head) I actually had one of those cheap $20.00 cameras with me. I was hoping to get some shots, but when I reached into the pocket of my BC, it was not there!

I thought I must have left it on the boat and was beating myself up for forgetting. I was doing a free water deep stop at 60’ when I caught a flash toward my right. I spun around and there was the camera hanging from my highest D-ring. At the last minute, on the boat, I had used a long lanyard to secure it since I was holding my light in my hand. The camera had been hiding behind me the whole time.

Lesson learned.

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 14:58
That's some creepy stuff. Must be a great dive on Halloween night.

Centerius
08-13-2007, 15:28
That was a pretty cool video. I think that'd be a bit eerie to dive a graveyard in the water, but cool at the same time.

ScaredSilly
08-13-2007, 18:07
Should put a few mannequins down in them thar holes.

Surprised they left some of the head stones though.

Cool dive - what was the total profile??

Jocasseegirl
08-13-2007, 19:44
For those that have seen the movie Deliverance, made in 1972, with Burt Reynolds, you’ll get a kick out of this. (pun kind of intended)

Yes, THAT movie, also starring Ned Beatty.

Filmed in and around Georgia and South Carolina, there is a very short scene filmed in my future home waters, Lake Jocassee. At the time, it was still a mountain valley and a community. Duke Power bought the surrounding area in the late 1960s. Debbie Fletcher has written a book about the history of the area and spending summers there. There is some great dive footage on her site as well. http://www.jocasseeremembered.com/

In Deliverance, there is a short scene, toward the end, of a whole graveyard being exhumed. Here’s the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZlKc9sZGHU

This scene was before the area was flooded and it is the Mt. Carmel Graveyard. After the entire area was flooded, what remained of the graveyard is usually at a depth of 135ffw or more. However, when the lake is lowered by Duke Power, the graveyard is accessible to non-tech dives.

Yesterday I finally got to dive the graveyard!!! Depth was 114’ and a balmy 51 degrees on the bottom. Empty graves, tombstones, and pine trees. Even though bottom time is limited using air, this dive is well worth it.

To give you a better idea, I found a video of some local techs diving the site. I’m not sure who the divers are, but I recognize the boat.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IymNYZzduaw

Now, I’m suffering from the 'after diving all weekend blues' and very depressed…sigh.

Hey, y'all :smiley36: Thanks for the link to my website. I hope you enjoy a peak at what that beautiful valley used to look like. The video of Mt. Carmel was shot by Anton Cherkasov from St. Petersburg, Russia. He was diving with Garret Van Dreel's deep tech class. Some of the graves were moved - others were not.

:smiley20:

94GTStang
08-14-2007, 00:59
Awesome write up and video! Pretty creepy IMO but very cool

JCAT
08-14-2007, 06:22
Hey, y'all :smiley36: Thanks for the link to my website. I hope you enjoy a peak at what that beautiful valley used to look like. The video of Mt. Carmel was shot by Anton Cherkasov from St. Petersburg, Russia. He was diving with Garret Van Dreel's deep tech class. Some of the graves were moved - others were not.
Hey Jocasseegirl,

Thanks for the ID on the divers!

ParrotHead
08-14-2007, 07:29
Great write-up and spooky video! Thanks!

torrey
08-14-2007, 09:26
Some of the graves were moved - others were not. :smiley20:

Say what? Why would they not move all of the graves? Is it up to the individual families or something?

JCAT
08-14-2007, 09:34
Hey ParrotHead,

I've got that t-shirt from his store in Key West.

'Growing older, but not up'

Now I'm hungry for a cheeseburger and it's all your fault!

Jocasseegirl
08-14-2007, 09:53
Some of the graves were moved - others were not. :smiley20:

Say what? Why would they not move all of the graves? Is it up to the individual families or something?

Yes, it was up to the individual families as to whether the grave was moved, or not. And some of the families could not be located in order to ask their preference. Also, Duke Power is an unscrupulous lot, and I know for a fact that some people THOUGHT their loved ones were moved, when in reality they weren't. I know the great-granddaughter of Silas Hinkle, whose large tombstone is the centerpiece of the cemetery dive. It really makes her very sad that divers do things like putting a plastic skeleton on his tombstone. Jocassee is a wonderful place to dive - and I dive it frequently - but a lot of people lost their homesteads when that lake was built, and some have still not come to terms with the loss. My family's home - Attakulla Lodge - is a private dive site in 300ffw. The divers who go there (and there obviously have not been many) are very respectful of the fact that this was my home, and they know not to rip off siding, etc., as a souvenir.

Anyway, thought you'd like to know a little about where you are diving.:smiley_thinking:

JCAT
10-08-2007, 08:27
In the November issue of Scuba Diving (Thanks Larry and Joe!) There is a picture of the Jocassee Cemetery (Pg. 77)

The article is titled "In Pursuit of American Waters" and written and photographed by Alex Kirkbride.

For those that get the chance to see the picture, Yes!, it can be that dark.

scubajane
12-12-2007, 21:08
really cool video. I even practiced breathing with the bubbles. I can't wait to blow bubbles again. it's just not the same in my bathtub

abcitydiver
12-13-2007, 01:31
really great post, great video and great history lesson, thank you both!
Its almost painfull to try and refrain from making a squeal like a pig joke...too painfull, obviously
::::haging my head in shame::::

PsychDiver
12-13-2007, 06:24
Great Video. Looks like a a great and spooky dive. I enjoyed the video but I really want that light he was using.

wheelman
12-13-2007, 08:40
Thanks for the history of this place. Very cool, and yes spooky.

JCAT
08-31-2008, 19:38
It's that time of year again!! To the graveyard!
Sorry for the bad pictures, hopefully I'll get some better ones at the end of the month.

See the first post of this thread for the history of the graveyard and the movie 'Deliverance'. I love diving this lake!

10:05 8/31/2008
Vis-1-5 feet
Temp-50
Depth 111
Run-21min.

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/6/7/6/crw_0674.jpg

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/6/7/6/crw_0673.jpg

mrbheagney
09-01-2008, 00:37
That sounds awesome, I love spooky dives but a graveyard must be the ultimate. Maybe I can make it out there one day.

tndiverdude
09-01-2008, 14:11
Now that the photos loaded it answered some questions we had for years. Orb that was captured were great!
Jimmy

JCAT
09-01-2008, 14:24
Now that the photos loaded it answered some questions we had for years. Orb that was captured were great!
Jimmy

What questions were those? What do you mean when you say Orb?