PDA

View Full Version : Zion IL diving

Carl W. Gilmore
09-03-2008, 14:01
I am thinking of shore diving off Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL in a couple of weeks. There are two wrecks, but neither appear to be marked. They appear to be quite close together. One is near the old nuke plant. Can anyone tell me, are there any landmarks to help find the wrecks? How close together are they?

DarinMartell
09-22-2008, 14:35
Did you do these? If so can you give out directions?

DiverD66
09-22-2008, 20:45
OOOhhhh, can't wait to read more on this one!!! While I'm a newby, I think I've really gotten the "wreck dive" bug... My husband thinks i'm crazy!:smiley20:

Carl W. Gilmore
09-23-2008, 12:47
Sort of. We tried to locate the wrecks off I.B. State Park, not off the nuke plant. We found access to be difficult and we were shore diving. The Zion mystery ship/minesweeper is only about 400 feet offshore, but it is also probably about 3/4 mile from the closest IB North Unit parking lot. If you can take Old Route 173 to the end (it ends almost literally at the lake), you can find the wreck before gearing up. Check in at the South Unit office.

So, no, we did not find the wreck, but I don't think anyone moved it. We may try again next year to do the minesweeper. By the way, the water was fairly warm and clear, for Lake Michigan.