PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Cove's

ckjacques53198
09-03-2008, 15:54
Just got back from a cruise that stopped in Nassau. I booked the only scuba excursion offered. I was shuttled to the dive op from the ship making about 20 stops at hotels taking about 11/2 hours to get there. I rushed to get my rental gear which was handed out fast. Got on my boat, set up my tank and waited another hour as other divers slowly filled the boat. There were 27 divers on the boat with 5 employees. One guy was taking a wreck class and a couple girls were doing checkout dives. Our first dive was 10 minutes from the shop. A wall dive with little to see. Looked at my depth to see that the gauge didn't work. My instabuddy said we went to 80'. More than I wanted to. Second dive was probably 500' away at some James Bond boat. Did I just dive on a cattle boat? Tell me it gets better.

SlvrDragon50
09-03-2008, 16:11
:/ I think Stuart Cove is too popular now to be able to do a nice dive. I would have imagined it be good though considering they are on Discovery Channel a lot...

mrbheagney
09-03-2008, 16:42
Hey, it gets alot better than that so don't worry too much. Experiences like that can only convince you to make more informed choices in the future and research your trip better. As for not being able to see anything on the dive I think that may have been to do with you state of mind because of what you had already gone through. Pretty impossible to enjoy what would have otherwise have been a nice dive after all that B/S. Two sites being close together can also be completely different experiences but sounds like it may have been a time saver on this one. You should have checked your gear on the boat and requested a new gauge if it wasn't working, most operators carry a spares kit. Put it down to experience and don't forget it takes two to tango.

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2008, 18:22
cattle boats can be good an bad...
cattle boat... yes, you were on one. 27 people.
i dive off a cattle boat all the time (28-32 people) but it's in the keys... so the dive sites are good... and the staff is good, and the boat is nice... so while im on a cattle boat, the ride out and back is fun!

you just happened to be on a shuttle that took way too long to get you somewhere to have to wait even longer...
most Dive Ops have schedules... that one apparently did not.

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2008, 18:25
You should have checked your gear on the boat and requested a new gauge if it wasn't working, most operators carry a spares kit.

not to be a smartass or anything... but...
how do you check a depth gauge at the surface?

(i know, sounds like im being a smart ass... but im honestly just asking, as the though never entered my mind).

MDDIVER
09-03-2008, 18:41
You should have checked your gear on the boat and requested a new gauge if it wasn't working, most operators carry a spares kit.

not to be a smartass or anything... but...
how do you check a depth gauge at the surface?

(i know, sounds like im being a smart ass... but im honestly just asking, as the though never entered my mind).

Yeah how would you do that?

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2008, 20:40
somebody send Larry over this way.
(i'll pm him to come this way and maybe enlighten us)

DevilDiver
09-03-2008, 20:57
:smilie40: .........

SlvrDragon50
09-03-2008, 21:26
Stick your gauge in a hyperbaric chamber?

Black-Gorrilla
09-03-2008, 21:42
Stick your gauge in a hyperbaric chamber?

the charters i use don't have theirs in a portable version...

CFDAlden
09-03-2008, 23:58
A guess: Ask to have it swapped out after seeing it not working on dive number one?

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 00:24
Was thinking air guage on that one, sorry. Although faulty depth gusges do sometimes stick at a certain depths so you are on the boat and it reads 20 meters or such. Still a good idea to check all your kit before jumping in. Sorry for the confusion there, laugh it up why don't you.

BlowingBubbles
09-04-2008, 11:35
I was going to suggest that he should have checked his gauge also but then I stopped and thought.... and realized that that is probably one component that it isn't possible to check in a situation like that. Sounds like I'd go somewhere else next time. No set schedule; defective equipment; no real scenery. Sloppy.:smiley21:

ckjacques53198
09-05-2008, 14:50
I should have voiced my concern after the first dive but the second dive was pretty shallow so I wasn't as concerned. Next time I'll do some more research and probably bring my reg - gauges with me. It was still fun just getting some dive time in.

Rockhound76
09-05-2008, 15:06
This answers a question I had about Stewart Cove's as this was where we were thinking about going for Spring Break.

Doug B
09-17-2008, 20:36
I made two days of two tank dives with Stuart about two years ago, during spring break. We were diving in the middle of the week. My buddy and I made reservations a few weeks ahead.

I had all my gear, but had to get weights, obviously. We got to the dive shop when they told us too (we had a rental car). Took about 10 minutes to do all of the paperwork, another five to get weights. Then, we sat around for nearly an hour while they prepared the boat.

The diving was good, maybe 12 people on the boat. We dove the Willaurie (spelling?) and the pumpkin patch one day. Can't remember the second day without looking in my book.

My only complaint was the woman who swam overtop of me, clobbering me, while I was floating at a 15 foot safety stop. I'm like, "hey, we've got the whole ocean here.... why are you swimming on top of me". She never apologized when we all got back onto the boat.

Daz
09-17-2008, 22:46
Moooo

thagar
09-19-2008, 19:40
Was she from MD, the all about me state?

oddbod
09-20-2008, 03:10
I had all my gear, but had to get weights, obviously. We got to the dive shop when they told us too (we had a rental car). Took about 10 minutes to do all of the paperwork, another five to get weights. Then, we sat around for nearly an hour while they prepared the boat.

When this happens to me, I tell them, the next day they will see me 1/2 hour later, usually once they've seen you gear up quickly and without hassling them they don't care. The problem is some of the people need the extra time and to start they don't know who.