PDA

View Full Version : Key West - SCUBA?

underwaterdan
08-13-2007, 13:16
Has anyone gone diving in Key West? Is it worth it, or should I stay up north in the keys and go to Key Largo? Any advice on where to stay?

BusDiver
08-13-2007, 13:21
I really enjoy diving in Key Largo, so much I have considered moving down there. I have not had the opportunity to splash in the water around Key West. However I have been down there and can say that there are supposed to be some really nice wrecks to dive. Just north of Key West (by 30 or so miles) is Looe Key (sp?). I am told that this is the best place to dive in all of the Keys. Now that statement could spark some discussion.

By the way, anyone in the Detroit area, Northworst is running air specials down to Fort Lauderdale for $130 round trip. I have one trip booked already for October and am begging the wife to let me go in early September.

Queen
08-13-2007, 13:22
Lots of folks will say stay further up in the Keys, personally I enjoy Key West diving quite a bit. I go out with Southpoint Divers and would give them the highest recommendation...great crew and a really nice boat.

Places to stay? Look for a guesthouse, the Chamber of Commerce can give you a list, they are the nicest and most relaxing places to stay. Most offer a free happy hour every evening and you get some great pampering from the staff. :thumb:

kevinj1
08-13-2007, 13:23
truthfully, I am a fan of diving out of Key Largo and Islamorada. Key west is nice but I feel better diving is up north. Although, diving the 7 mile bridge can be a lot of fun as well, lots of sharks.
hope this helps.

underwaterdan
08-13-2007, 13:26
I just love key west so much I was hoping to marry the diving and the city. I really enjoyed my key largo dive, but didn't care much for the town(sorry!). I will check out Southpoint Divers, should be a good start.

MtnDiver
08-13-2007, 13:30
We were just down in the Keys in June. Stayed in Marathon, which is about right in the middle of Miami and Key West. We dove mostly out of Colony Beach and Travernier (sp?) which are both north of Marathon. We did the Spiegal Grove with Conch Republic and they were absolutly fantastic people to go out with....ended up going out with them a few times. We hung out in Key West but did not do any diving down there....most of the "signature" dives are further North....

NitroWill
08-13-2007, 13:37
Haven't been to the keys....yet..
Have a tripped planned the 24-26th of this month though! :smiley20:

Harshal
08-13-2007, 14:01
I normally dive key largo Islamorada, never dived in Key west, there good spots around key largo, while I am in Key largo I normally dive with Rainbow Reef and I can’t complain diving with them. On occasion they have even taken me out when its just me and an my gf diving.
I would like to try Key West some times and see how it is up there.

underwaterdan
08-13-2007, 15:04
I guess it is best to stay north of the key west. Is it me or is 75 bucks for a two tank dive a lot?? That is what I was quoted to dive in key west...

Harshal
08-13-2007, 15:17
I think that is standard, $75 for 2 tank dive, I believe Rainbow Reef provides you free DM if you like.

Centerius
08-13-2007, 15:33
I haven't dove Key West, but you can my Key Largo trip report here (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1528).