PDA

View Full Version : Surface Interval activities - what's OK and not?

Disneymom
08-13-2007, 14:45
Inspired by our own surface interval category thread, what is acceptable activity during a surface interval? Common sense dictates that one shouldn't go and run a marathon, but it's HOT here in the summer at the lake, and running off for a nap in the room isn't always an option. I would prefer to stay IN the water during my down time - but what can I do, and what can't I do?

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 18:59
I wouldn't do anything that gets the heat rate raised for extended periods of time. Floating around shouldn't be an issue though.

MEL-DC Diver
08-13-2007, 20:20
Enjoy some casual snorkeling

WV Diver
08-13-2007, 20:37
I read, I think on the DAN site, one time that you shouldn't be free diving between dives while you are snorkeling.

And I have read a lot on the DAN site about exercise before and after diving. I like to run. The one article stated that you should not participate in strenuous activities immediately before or after diving.

They never defined "strenuous" or "immediate". I don't consider a two or three mile run exactly sternuous but as I always like to err on the side of caution I never run while on a diving vacation or any other time I am doing a lot of diving.

As for immediate, it's anyone's guess.

MEL-DC Diver
08-13-2007, 20:41
Hey, pal. No one said anything about no free diving. Take it over to that other forum with talk like that :smiley36:

TAH 73
08-13-2007, 21:17
Actually the freediving thing was mentioned to us the other weekend when on a charter, we were chilling out in a cove anchored in about 20ft of water and a couple of the people decided to cool off with a quick splash off the back of the boat, and when one guy decided to go to the bottom ~20ft he was cautioned by the charter captain about his activities.

Disneymom
08-13-2007, 21:47
Hey, pal. No one said anything about no free diving. Take it over to that other forum with talk like that :smiley36: :smiley36:

Thanks for the resonses, guys! I always appreciate the help.

WV, actually the freediving thing makes sense, now that I think about it. As long as I can snorkel, I'm good.

loudgonzo
08-14-2007, 15:42
water guns are a blast:smiley20:

JCAT
08-14-2007, 15:46
We eat during SI.

Chilidogs, chips and soda! No kool-aid though!

:smilie40:

Harshal
08-14-2007, 16:17
We eat during SI.

Now that is my kinda SI :smilie40:

freediver
08-14-2007, 16:45
Yes, you should refrain from the freediving...nothing wrong with a round of Texas Hold'em Poker though! :smiley16:

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-14-2007, 17:31
We eat during SI.

What's wrong with Kool-Aid????:smiley5:

cummings66
08-14-2007, 18:43
It's a DIR argument. DIR and Kool-Aid and kind of the same thing. In other words if you drink the Kook-aid you're a DIR diver who's done the training, you've crossed over.

I'm going to leave my typo in, I saw it and didn't mean it at all, but it strikes me as funny. Seriously I don't mean it though. Freudian slip I suppose, my fingers did it without my mind saying it's OK.

uzzell20
08-14-2007, 18:57
i enjoy snrkling as well, its easy and relaxing

namabiru
08-20-2007, 13:33
Don't whiz on electric fences.

Don't plug up the head.

Don't eat sweets and start laughing, spraying crumbs all over your now mortified dive buddy.

Snorkeling is brilliant.

Making up imaginary animals you saw in the water is often a good laugh, particularly if your victim is gullible. I told my mom once I saw three eels in Canyon Ferry (a mountain lake). "Wow! Really???" It was even better when she told her friend on the phone I saw 3 eels.

No Misses
08-20-2007, 13:40
Ok, when I saw the title of this thread; the first thing that came to mind was inapropriate behavior on the boat. Now I see that it is DCS related. Bummer. The other sounded like fun ;-)

cgvmer
08-20-2007, 13:41
WE just relax and hydrate, possibly lunch...nothing to strenuous, go for a cooling swim.

subsur
08-20-2007, 13:45
yeah, food is good. we always eat, hotdogs, chips, juices, veggies. i could not eat in the past between dives because i get seasick very easy but since i start taking pills on divie days, i love to eat :)

namabiru
08-20-2007, 13:47
Ok, when I saw the title of this thread; the first thing that came to mind was inapropriate behavior on the boat. Now I see that it is DCS related. Bummer. The other sounded like fun ;-)

Well, you could always hijack and go in that direction. What the hey?

Disneymom
08-20-2007, 15:08
I think I got the info I was looking for - swimming OK, "activity" not so much. Nama - will try to avoid those electric fences....

chewyjr15
08-20-2007, 15:13
wait 10 minuit sbefore diving after eating

namabiru
08-20-2007, 17:14
Nama - will try to avoid those electric fences....

Good on ya. Only tourists whiz on electric fences. :smiley20:

Now, I must stop at this point and make something blatantly clear. I have never whizzed on an electric fence, nor do I plan to, so my advice does not come from a "do as I say, not as I do" standpoint.

Just forgot to disclaim before the jokes came a rollin' in. :smiley26:

ScubaJenn81
08-21-2007, 12:49
I eat my breakfast/lunch/dinner/whatever (I love food), then update my dive log (I do not have a computer) and then just chill.

somewhereinla
08-21-2007, 13:05
Whatever you do, DO NOT DO ANY SKIN/FREE DIVING. snorkel is ok.

Doghouse
08-21-2007, 19:27
I was thinking sex on the beach until I was told you could not have liquer between dives only after.

jo8243
09-17-2007, 17:17
I would refrain from anything that gets your heart rate up much. I believe there is evidence that this can release bubbles. DAN's website has some info on this.

scubafreak
09-17-2007, 18:02
I like to chill out and eat.

Capt Hook
09-17-2007, 18:41
Around here it's HOT so we often jump in the water and just "splash around".

divingmedic
09-18-2007, 08:38
If your diving in the "islands" roll a fatty up and smoke it. It will make the next dive oh so more interesting.:smiley2::smiley36:

Disneymom
09-18-2007, 08:53
If your diving in the "islands" roll a fatty up and smoke it. It will make the next dive oh so more interesting.:smiley2::smiley36:

yes, and this would be me AFTER that:

:chairfall::blyawn::anim_sleep:

so much for that next dive.

Charlotte Smith
09-18-2007, 08:56
We fire up the grill or head to a marina for some much needed energy to burn off on the next dive....pizza from the marina in only 8 minutes is the greatest thing!

hoop
09-18-2007, 12:57
Fire up the grill and flip a burger. Usually have a camera with me, so I'll try and get a few good shots during SI.

ScaredSilly
09-18-2007, 22:56
I knew of some newly weds that would go back to their cabin between dives to off gas. They were doing a lot of diving cause they were either in the water in the cabin. Never saw much of them otherwise :D

wgt
09-23-2007, 11:31
I read, I think on the DAN site, one time that you shouldn't be free diving between dives while you are snorkeling.

And I have read a lot on the DAN site about exercise before and after diving. I like to run. The one article stated that you should not participate in strenuous activities immediately before or after diving.

They never defined "strenuous" or "immediate". I don't consider a two or three mile run exactly sternuous but as I always like to err on the side of caution I never run while on a diving vacation or any other time I am doing a lot of diving.

As for immediate, it's anyone's guess.

WV Diver: Good approach.

One may indeed not consider a short middle-distance run to be strenuous. However, even in the absence of pronounced physical exertion during a run, the changes in pressure within the joints of knees and ankles that occur with each stride are enormous and sudden. During rapid decompression of joint tissues, nitrogen can easily exit solution to form a gas nucleus that may serve as a seed for other bubbles leading to DCS.

The foregoing notwithstanding, nobody has ever quantitated risks associated with specific physical activities (such as running) during the off-gas phase. Nevertheless, as much as I like high levels of physical activity, I do not engage in any activity during off-gassing that could be construed by non-divers as exercise. Does this mean that I am immune to DCS? No. Does this mean that DCS is inevitable in persons who exercise during off-gassing? No, also. But, without question, being sensible reduces risks.

wgt
09-23-2007, 11:51
Hey, pal. No one said anything about no free diving. Take it over to that other forum with talk like that :smiley36:

Risks associated with free-diving during off-gassing may relate chiefly to an unfavorable interaction between normal nitrogen elimination and pressure changes during the free dive. Normally during off-gassing, microscopic nitrogen bubbles may be transported from the right side of the heart to the lungs. With normal gas exchange and respiration, the nitrogen forming the bubbles crosses from the blood into the lungs for exhalation.

While returning to pressure during a free dive (during off-gassing), nitrogen bubbles become compressed and onboard nitrogen may even return to solution in the blood on the way to the lungs. The net effect may be that dissolved nitrogen slips past the lungs and returns to the left side of the heart. Then, when it is time to surface, pressure decreases, and the nitrogen bubbles may reform somewhere in the systemic (non-pulmonary) circulation, as the gas loses its pressure-dependent solubility. Depending on how many such bubbles arise and depending on where they travel, DCS may arise in any of a variety of forms.

diverdad
09-23-2007, 15:03
I like to kick back and relax , eating fruit and drinking water. In other words just chilling. No swimming or snorkeling for me.