PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock High Water

BillS
09-05-2008, 12:21
Darn all this rain! Just when Table Rock was settling down after the flooding this spring. Diving has been pretty good the last few weeks and getting better. KY3 news stated the Corps of Engineers expected the lake to crest at 923' this Saturday and were planning to open the floodgates today (Friday). I wonder if Project Aware will still take place Sept. 13? I can't imagine the lake being in decent condition in only a week. We may just have to stay home and spend our surface interval time reading the forum instead of getting wet! :smiley19:
__________________________________________________ ____
"When God looked upon th' work of his hands and called it good, he was sure alookin at this here Ozark Country..."
Harold Bell Wright - Shepherd of the Hills

snagel
09-06-2008, 06:16
I was down there back in April and the flooding was totally breath taken, but no diving. It surely isn't to that level again is it?

Snagel

BillS
09-06-2008, 06:54
Fortunately its not as high as it was in the spring. I just checked the Corp's web site and at 5:00 am this morning (Sept. 6) the lake is at 919.49'. They had said earlier this week it would crest at 923' today. Doesn't look like it will get quite that high. During the floods this spring it reached a record high of around 932' or 933'. Last week the level had dropped to 916'. 915' is considered normal power pool. So, if the lake doesn't rise more than 4' or 5' as a result of recent rain we should be OK.

mm2002
09-06-2008, 21:19
I did TR today, and I can't really tell that the level has changed any. What I can tell you is the vis sucks right now. I think it's starting an early turn-over. You have to go below 40 ft to find any decent vis, and it's nothing to brag about.

BillS
09-07-2008, 07:58
Where on the lake did you dive mm2002? When I dove at the visitor centor on 9-1-08 it was about like that. Below 40'-45' vis was pretty good. I wonder if there is bad water coming down the lake from run off after the rain?

mm2002
09-07-2008, 08:13
Same place, at the dam. Yeah, I'm sure all this rain hasn't helped any, but my theory is that the early onset of cooler air temps may be causing an early turn-over.

cummings66
09-09-2008, 07:05
It's that way all over. The local quarry I dive in, well it's 2 hours away, it's acting very similar and not at all like a quarry does. Bottom temps are 42 degrees there already which is early in the year for that.

You might be on to something there.

Barberman
09-10-2008, 18:02
Just curious if they ever opened the flood gates or not??? I dove at the dam on 09/02 and had a very enjoyable dive there. I couldn't believe how much the water had gone down on TR since this spring when I was up there. I dive Beaver Lake all the time and the water there hasn't gone down much at all yet.

cummings66
09-11-2008, 06:12
I was told the other day that they did open the flood gates.

BillS
09-11-2008, 06:59
Hadn't heard weather the gates opened or not. The general plan of the Corps of Engineers is to open the gates when the lake level exceeds 920' and remain open until levels are back down to 920'. The current level is a little under 919' so I assume the gates are now closed. Don't know that for sure though.

Mtrewyn
09-11-2008, 18:12
Just curious if they ever opened the flood gates or not??? I dove at the dam on 09/02 and had a very enjoyable dive there. I couldn't believe how much the water had gone down on TR since this spring when I was up there. I dive Beaver Lake all the time and the water there hasn't gone down much at all yet.

Speaking of beaver how is the vis there? herd this spring was like chocolate milk..

mm2002
09-11-2008, 18:17
Speaking of beaver how is the vis there?

No I can't do it. I can't post what I was thinking on a public forum. :smiley36:

cummings66
09-11-2008, 18:19
Good for you. I've got some buddies who dove there and said it was 10 to 15 feet, but I've dove with them and when they say 15 feet of vis and I lose sight of them in 5 feet I think they're over estimating. I've heard way more divers say 5 feet of vis.

bottomdweller
09-11-2008, 19:37
Beaver has been complete crap for vis this year. I got Certified there last Sept & vis was truely 15-20'. I have not seen over 5' this year o the best days.

bottomdweller
09-11-2008, 19:56
Oh I forgot this was a Table Rock high water level thread.
They did open the flood gates the other day, but It is supposed to rain all weekend & more flooding likely. Hurricane Ike, Will it never end?

PepeDiver
09-13-2008, 14:33

No I can't do it. I can't post what I was thinking on a public forum. :smiley36:

though it doesn't surprise us any that you are the one thinking those thoughts!!!!!

mm2002
09-13-2008, 19:28

though it doesn't surprise us any that you are the one thinking those thoughts!!!!!

Oh thanks a lot! :smiley36:

BillS
09-14-2008, 08:02
Well, after my belly aching at the start of this thread, the weather and water conditions at Table Rock this weekend were very favorable. Ike didn't arrive on schedule, thankfully! We had a great day of diving for "Project Aware" and picked up a great big pile of trash.

It was great meeting several of you in person and I look forward to diving with you again. :smiley9:

Barberman
09-14-2008, 08:27

Speaking of beaver how is the vis there? herd this spring was like chocolate milk..

The viz rages greatly depending on where your at and your depth. I've had several dives where 5 ft viz is the best you get, but I have had some others where I do ghet 10-15 ft. It does get significantly better below 40 ft in most areas, but it isn't as good as TR was a couple weeks ago below 40 ft. I'm hoping the rain doesn't do to much damage this week on Beaver becasue I'm planning on going up next for the Project Aware cleaup there.

BillS
09-15-2008, 09:11
Table Rock lake level is up to 922' this morning, a 4' rise in 2 days. Thanks Ike! :smiley21:

mm2002
09-15-2008, 18:47
Table Rock lake level is up to 922' this morning, a 4' rise in 2 days. Thanks Ike! :smiley21:

They sure named that one accurately though. Brings back memories of Ike beating the living hell out of poor 'ol Tina. I wonder if they thought of that when they named it? :smiley36:

cummings66
09-16-2008, 07:09
I know that the vis there is pretty poor, my local quarry is much better and I suspect that's where most of my diving will be. When it costs me $200 to go down there and dive the weekend you really can't justify it for 3 feet of vis when I can spend $30 and get the same thing and it only takes 2 hours driving.

I will be back down of course.

mm2002
09-16-2008, 07:43
From what I've gathered, the vis at TR (barring any more hurricanes of course) will be awesome from November through February. May be worth your drive then Matt. I know one thing, I've got a DS now, so I'm not going to miss it again this winter.

BillS
09-16-2008, 18:43
From what I've gathered, the vis at TR (barring any more hurricanes of course) will be awesome from November through February. May be worth your drive then Matt. I know one thing, I've got a DS now, so I'm not going to miss it again this winter.

How was the diving this morning Mark? Sorry I didn't make it, I had to return home. - Bill

mm2002
09-16-2008, 18:51

How was the diving this morning Mark? Sorry I didn't make it, I had to return home. - Bill

I was really hoping you could be there. Believe it or not it was improved greatly from yesterday. Virtually no wind, no chop, and pretty much glassy smooth water. That made a huge difference in vis I guess.
Give me a shout and we'll get together soon.