PDA

View Full Version : Algae Blooms.... inside my ear!!!

freeski4ever
09-05-2008, 20:47
After working an O/W class last weekend at CSSP, in the middle of a lake-wide algae bloom, my ear started hurting a few days after diving. Turns out, I have a bad case of swimmer's ear, and have baby catfish and algae spores growing inside my head. It sucks right now, but on the bright side, in a few weeks, all I have to do is shake my head, and I'll be able to have a catfish fry!!

bassplayer
09-05-2008, 21:02
I empathize with you. O/W dives seem to bring out the germs. I got a extremely bad foot infection requiring 2 trips to the Doc and one to a Hospital. :smiley11:

texdiveguy
09-05-2008, 21:23
Start using a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar in each ear after EACH dive....this should prevent further outbreaks once you return to diving.

Warren
09-05-2008, 21:32
All right man... Now that's disgusting! :smiley11:

mitsuguy
09-05-2008, 21:47
Start using a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar in each ear after EACH dive....this should prevent further outbreaks once you return to diving.

and let it soak for 5 minutes per ear to get maximum effectiveness...

DAN's website has a great article on this...

chinacat46
09-05-2008, 21:49
After working an O/W class last weekend at CSSP, in the middle of a lake-wide algae bloom, my ear started hurting a few days after diving. Turns out, I have a bad case of swimmer's ear, and have baby catfish and algae spores growing inside my head. It sucks right now, but on the bright side, in a few weeks, all I have to do is shake my head, and I'll be able to have a catfish fry!!

Lookout somebody might go noodling in your ear.

CompuDude
09-05-2008, 21:49
Seconded, on the ear beer.

Lakes are bad, mmmkay?

freeski4ever
09-05-2008, 22:26
I usually am pretty good about putting an alcohol and vinegar mixture in my ears after each dive. Since I was working a class, I kinda got sidetracked by having to help with dive tables and such, and didn't take care of my ears. Now I'm paying for it by farm raising perch and bass inside my eustachian tubes.

trekkindave
09-05-2008, 22:32
my jaw has been hurting for a few days now and i just attributed it to my root canal. my ear doesnt hurt any more if i pull on it, but it definately feels more like ear then mouth. im going to try some swimm-ear stuff and have a doctor look at my ear tomorrow at work when we go to the emergency room with a patient. hope its not that bad.

wgt
09-05-2008, 22:42
my jaw has been hurting for a few days now and i just attributed it to my root canal. my ear doesnt hurt any more if i pull on it, but it definately feels more like ear then mouth. im going to try some swimm-ear stuff and have a doctor look at my ear tomorrow at work when we go to the emergency room with a patient. hope its not that bad.

Ear beer reduces the probability of contracting outer ear infections yet is not useful in the treatment. The mixture influences neither the development nor the progression of middle ear infections.

mrbheagney
09-05-2008, 23:34
Chuck Norris doesn't get ear infections

Black-Gorrilla
09-06-2008, 01:18

is this for real? or is this like that hole-dive thread that was up a few weeks ago?
if it is for real... i'm real sorry, and hope you get better soon so you can do some more diving.

snoballz
09-06-2008, 13:08
Oh man, Catfish po boy! Yum!

:smiley16:

trekkindave
09-06-2008, 15:37
to update my problem, i had a PA at the hospital look into my ear. She said that it looked normal that the pain in my jaw/ear area was probably due to the root canal and not an ear problem.

I am thinking though, that I heard someplace about water getting into someone's inner ear somehow without puncturing the ear drum... medically i dont see how that can happen.

Maybe Ill use the second half of my penicillin prescription from the root canal that i didnt finish just to cover me incase its an ear infection anyway. wouldnt hurt.. except it will make my pee smell

freeski4ever
09-06-2008, 15:49

is this for real? or is this like that hole-dive thread that was up a few weeks ago?
if it is for real... i'm real sorry, and hope you get better soon so you can do some more diving.

Nope, it's for real... well, at least the pain in my ear is. As for the catfish, I am still waiting for them to swim out of my head, and end up on my pillow in the morning.

thagar
09-06-2008, 16:42
I guess I will start using the ear beer from now on.

drako
09-07-2008, 08:11
Wow...thats the most disturbing thing im gonna hear all day.

Joe L
09-08-2008, 06:55
yuck, I never thought about this type of thing,,,,, I sure do Now.

Rileybri
09-08-2008, 09:04

Man if I could only figure out how to get lobsters, muscles corn and potatoes in my ear I would make a killing at the beach in ME!!!

Lakes are bad, mmmkay?

Ear bear has been my salvation! As for lakes, I love diving in my lake! I get more issues from diving in the ocean than in the lake?

Unfortunately I hear many more disturbing things than this in my day to day work as a social worker.:smiley29:

BlowingBubbles
09-09-2008, 06:17

Man if I could only figure out how to get lobsters, muscles corn and potatoes in my ear I would make a killing at the beach in ME!!!

Lakes are bad, mmmkay?

Ear bear has been my salvation! As for lakes, I love diving in my lake! I get more issues from diving in the ocean than in the lake?

Unfortunately I hear many more disturbing things than this in my day to day work as a social worker.:smiley29:

When you say that you get more issues from diving in the ocean than in the lake, could you give examples? I assume you are talking about health issues aside from the obvious jellyfish stings, etc. right?

Rileybri
09-09-2008, 06:28

Lakes are bad, mmmkay?

When you say that you get more issues from diving in the ocean than in the lake, could you give examples? I assume you are talking about health issues aside from the obvious jellyfish stings, etc. right?

Yes I am speaking directly to the original ear issue stated in the OP. I tend to have more difficulty with my ears and ear infections in salt water than I do in fresh? I have also on occasion gotten skin irritations (read welts/hives) from salt water unrelated to any sting or bight I had detected while in salt water?? No sure the cause just the way it worked out for me I guess. I will add that now that I am using the 50/50 ear beer I have had no issues in either salt or fresh water this summer.

CompuDude
09-09-2008, 12:01
Some lakes are dirtier than others. Some ocean water is dirtier than others.

For me, at least the ocean is exposed to fresh water continually moving. Lakes are quite stagnant by comparison. Gives me the willies. *shudder*

BlowingBubbles
09-09-2008, 14:04
Fish poop and lay eggs everywhere. I wasn't really bothered by the whole thing too much (after all, I can go home and shower) until I started reading this. When I had to look up towards my dive flag last weekend I felt water shift in my ear and figured I was probably letting some undesireable deeper into my head. :smiley11: Sigh. I had never heard of ear beer before but I guess you know I'll be using it religiously now. Does anyone know if this is something you can mix up in quantity (like 3 oz. or so) and store for multiple uses or is it better mixed dose by dose? Just wondering because it would be nice to take on vacation.

CompuDude
09-09-2008, 14:17
Fish poop and lay eggs everywhere. I wasn't really bothered by the whole thing too much (after all, I can go home and shower) until I started reading this. When I had to look up towards my dive flag last weekend I felt water shift in my ear and figured I was probably letting some undesireable deeper into my head. :smiley11: Sigh. I had never heard of ear beer before but I guess you know I'll be using it religiously now. Does anyone know if this is something you can mix up in quantity (like 3 oz. or so) and store for multiple uses or is it better mixed dose by dose? Just wondering because it would be nice to take on vacation.

I mix up small amounts (you really don't use much with each application) which I go through within a month or two. If I have any left, I dump it and mix up fresh stuff. Less than a shot glass of each ingredient, perhaps a shot glass-full total, will last quite a while unless you're diving daily.

The Swim-Ear stuff is terrible on your ears, since it's over 90% pure alcohol, but the little squeeze bottle is handy for travel. :)

For around town, frankly, I just use a spare empty water bottle (the smallish ones you buy a flat of from Costco) with no more than 3/4" of the solution in it, which I keep in my dive bag. MARK IT WELL!!! You don't want to take a drink of that stuff, and the ingredients are clear just like water! I toss the bottle and use a "fresh" one every 6 months or so.

BlowingBubbles
09-09-2008, 15:07
Thanks! :smiley1:

thagar
09-13-2008, 18:58
So did you ever wake up to find catfish or did I miss the post?

trekkindave
09-14-2008, 05:01
Just found a 3 oz clear travel bottle in the travel bottle section in walmart. its got a little flip top like a shampoo bottle. looks like it will work well

thagar
09-14-2008, 11:05
Cool I will have to try my Walmart.

wgt
09-14-2008, 11:32
Just found a 3 oz clear travel bottle in the travel bottle section in walmart. its got a little flip top like a shampoo bottle. looks like it will work well

Shampoo bottles from hotels are satisfactory and free (unless you check into the hotel for the sole purpose of getting the bottle).

divedude59
09-14-2008, 15:04
Had the same problem last month --- Rbt was to charge me for the fish!

bane51031
12-11-2008, 19:29
The half 70% alcohol and the white vinegar is the way to go and as someone stated you have to soak teach ear at least 5 minutes more okay but, no less Navy divers have been doing this for years.
When I first started diving I had reoccurring ear infections, until I started doing this and have not had an ear infection since alittle ear beer goes a long ways and it is cheap. I also swear by flushing my sinuses have had zero sinus infections since I started doing that as well....

DarinMartell
12-14-2008, 16:59
I had read on a post somewhere that you could add a little baby shampoo to the ear bear to help mosturize it. Does this sound right?

Lulubelle
12-14-2008, 17:05
Ewww, but thanks for sharing. One more tool in my arsenal of reasons why I don't dive in fresh water.

And for the poster who was going to finish "the other half of my penicillin" ...not a good idea. The length of the prescribed course is based on how long it takes to penetrate the affected tissue and eliminate the organism being targeted. By taking a partial course you might actually create a worse problem.